• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about Heidi

Mimi

Hi ,
I noticed last night that Heidi has a milky like discharge from 2 of her nipples she is not in pup . Has anyone any advice ?

Could be a false pregnancy? I'd check with your vet just in case -- you might need to watch for mastitis; I had a rescue in a false pregnancy that had this and eventually she had to be spayed during such a cycle because she just kept cycling into false pregnancies nd this was a real strain after a while and her teats were very swollen and sore. It (producing milk, simulating signs of pregnancy) can go on for a long time.

Usually I think they just dry up because there's nothing nursing (it is the nursing that keeps up the milk production). But if she looks sore or uncomfortable I'd ring the vets for advice. The oddity about dogs is that dogs actually go into full pregnancy mode with every heat regardless of whether they actually become pregnant so their heats are more of a drain than a human having menstrual cycles, where the body only prepares for a possible pregnancy. It is a difference that means bitches can get complications like pyometra after heat cycles where humans do not get things like this. It's also why you have to wait so long after a heat (three months or so) ideally before spaying as it takes that many months for their bodies to go back to neutral. So a false pregnancy can last the whole length of a real pregnancy.

It is probably worth talking to your vet by phone just to get an opinion (that's what I would do), but some of those here with more experience of this might have some suggestions too.

Back