• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy or 10 month old?

DaveD

Looking for a bit of advice. Holly is now 10 months old. Due to work commitments though we're both working full time and so Holly could be on her own for 8/9 hours a day. Most days someone will call in but its not guaranteed.

We're looking at getting a second Cavalier, mainly because we want one but also as a companion to Holly. Holly seems very happy on her own and gets all the attention when we're there but know she'd love a playmate. Although she has a bit if fun during the day as her toys are always everywhere !

The breeder we got Holly from has Puppies ready within the next 2 weeks but we've also contacted someone with a male 10 month old for sale, who is fully registered, vaccinated, toilet trained and neutered. Anyone have any opinions on who would be easier to introduce into Hollys lifestyle ? A puppy or a dog similar to her age ?

I think it would not be fair to leave a puppy on its on every day, though i also dont think it is also fair to leave a 10 month on its own for that length of time either. The dog u have been offered is it used to been on its own for this length of time, have u told the present owner the dog will be left for this time. Will the dogs be left inside or out while ur at work.
Sorry im not been funny just need to know more so u question can be answered probaly. Also i am not giving out about u working i know it has to be done. Luckly im at home most of the time.

Thats great that you are getting Holly a companion! I have Oliver who is 2.5 and I just got Bentley who is 4.5 months! They have so much fun together.

The one thing I can say is that I had forgotten what a handful a puppy is---even though he is the easiest, most laid back pup ever! I constantly have to keep my eye on him and take him out for frequent potty breaks. If you are gone that long each day without a guarantee of someone being able to come in the middle of the time for a potty break, thats a long time for a young puppy to hold it. Of course, you could do piddle pads, but I think that make potty training harder and confusing for the puppy! Im sure others will weigh in with good advice, too, but I think I personally might be more inclined to go with the older pup if you're sure its healthy and from a reputable breeder!

Good luck with yoru decision! :)

It would definitely benefit a dog alone for that stretch to have a companion so that's a good move. :)

Agree with Sallymum on this one though -- you absolutely cannot leave a puppy home alone for 8-9 hour stretches from the start, so a puppy is really out unless you can tke a few weks off at first, or arrange for someone to come in twice daily while you are out -- a puppy will need to be fed three times a day for the first 4-6 months and under these circumstances it will also be impossible to housetrain. I'd definitely go for the 10 month old as this will be much, much easier on a dog that age.

I would really try to get someone to look in midday regularly especially if time away stretches to 9 hours -- most dogs would find it very hard not to relieve themselves for a 9 hour stretch and 8 hours will be difficult enough. They will struggle not to go and this can be very painful for them. Imagine trying to hold it yourself for that long a stretch and you'll see what I mean! There are services that will come in midday -- plenty of them in Dublin -- or a retired person often will enjoy doing this for a modest payment. There are services listed at www.irishanimals.ie. (y) Good luck!

I just recently got my second Cavalier..my first was 20 months old at the time (I've had him since a puppy) and the 2nd was 9 months old...While we had a few accidents mainly due to being a new place and feeding schedule changes it was pretty easy to get everyone on the same schedule...I have enjoyed having the 2 cavs (I also have a lab) .. so a older dog is easier than a puppy..of course puppy's are alot of fun too

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that we have trained Holly to go toilet on a pee pad when we're not there. When we are there shes goes out the back and is even letting us know when she needs to go.

If we did get a puppy someone would definately call in for the first few weeks but as we both can only get a few days off work i feel toilet training could be difficult. We would train the pup to go the pee pads also. Is it true a pup would follow the lead of an older dog when toilet training ?

Just to clarify both dogs would be in the house when we're not there as Holly is now, they have quite a large space to run around in.

It is not just toilet training but other behavioural work that a puppy needs, so i would not even consider a young one. The older puppy or perhaps a retired breeding dog who is used to only having canine company would be best.

I really think getting a puppy at this stage in ur lives isnt the right choice. I would say go with an older dog, but like i said earlier i dont think it would be still fair leaving 2 dogs especially cavs as they thrive on company to be left for 9 hrs at a time. It would be great if u could get someone to come in not just for toilet breaks but play time to. Good luck with what ever u decide to do.(y)

I think that having an older dog in the house has helped as far as toilet training. I got Oliver a companion so that he would have a buddy in the house to play with while Im at work. Right now Bentley is too young and unreliable to be left out of his crate, but once he gets older and trained I will let him hang out with Oliver. Oliver was very easy and reliable at an early age so I could leave him out of his crate and never had a problem, but I know each puppy is different!

I think that a companion is a great choice if you have to leave Holly (its weird saying that as my name is Holly, also!!) alone for extended periods. I actually wanted an older dog because I thought the training would be easier, but the breeder only had a 12 week old puppy. It worked out ok for me because I am a teacher and had the summer off to really work on training. Now that Im back in school, I come home each day at lunch for potty and play break!

To be honest I would go with the older one, although have to agree with SallyMum that 8-9 hours is a long time to leave 2 young dogs on their own for. Another consideration is that you have been told the boy is housetrained, expect a slight regression in that initially as he needs to get to know your house and routines and may have a few accidents before he picks this all up! Whatever decision you make, Good Luck!! (y)

Well it turns out the 10 month old is in his 3rd home and the reason this person is selling is because he doesn't get on with their other 2 Cavaliers. Details are sketchy so we're giving it a miss.

Would love to go with a pup but don't think it'll be fair on it as we can probably only get a week off work if we got her which isn't very much time to start toilet training and getting her into a routine. Don't know what to do really, 6 month plus Puppies aren't easily available and we'd love to get Holly a companion !

Davy would u like to pm me please, as i meet the girl yesterday at the vet with this dog and her other cav, she told me her probs with this little lad, which isnt what u have said. We managed to work through them and i also showed her this site and she seen what u had put on the board which u hadnt mentioned to her. There is alot more to this than what i have written here, and i would like to discuss this, as u phoned her this eve, wanting to take dog on Sunday. Details arnt sketchy i would like to know why u have said what u have

Last edited:
I think it is wonderful that you are getting a second dog. In your situation it does sound like getting an old dog might be the way to go as a puppy shouldn't be left alone initially. Even if you do go for the older dog, if you can organise it, try to arrange a week off work so that you can make sure that both dogs are getting on well and are comfortable in each other's company before you need to leave them alone all day.

:confused:icon_nwunsure...well I was going to comment but now i'm a little confused as to what is going on

Forgot to add this dog is in his 1st home not 3rd as stated.

Thats not what i was told, but i dont feel its worth getting into a tit for tat arguement on a public forum. PM sent.

Thanks everyone for the replies, we're still unsure whether to go down the puppy route at this stage. We'll see what happens and will let you know.

Another thought, beyond housetraining: you could not leave a young puppy for 8 or 9 hours as they need feeding three or four times a day.

Back