• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tick's

coconut

Where do ticks come from? How do dogs get them?

Freddie had one about a month ago, i was freaking out!

I was watch animal rescue last night and this one lil pup had loads of them and he was so small and cute and covered in these horrible little ticks, but there were able to help him in the end!

So for asking silly questions!

I think they are just lurng about in the grass and bushes outside and crawl on the dog when the dog brushes past them! Yuck...they are ugly!!!

Every time Cupcake gets a tick it is after she's been out in the grass. I think they just hang out there waiting for something to latch onto! A good flea/tick repellant takes care of that problem though. ;)

i think they come from long grass and wooded areas, i remember the last time we went for a woodland walk Lucy got 2 , one was at the side of her mouth and the other at the top of her ear(in tricky places to remove!!)

They are generally in woodlands and grass. They latch on to passing animals, feed on their blood, then drop off eventually. If you find one it is best to take the dog to a vet to get it off so the body doesn't break off leaving the head inside -- this can get infected. There are special little tick removal tools too that you can buy. :grnyuk:

My cavaliers have never had ticks (that I have found anyway) but I remember once finding loads of them on our pyrenees. :eek:

that is the way i felt when i found that one:grnyuk: . But we got it all out or i should so my good old ma got it out:rolleyes: !!

I was asking more for the fact that the lil dog on the telly was so full of them!

Oh I don't think that it's a silly question at all. If you live in a tick prone area then they are almost everywhere. Primarily they live in the grass, on bushes and shrubs and they can also be carried in by wildlife, e.g. on rabbits, birds and rodents. Depending upon where you live, you may need to consider using an anti-tick preparation such as Frontline. Here in Australia, ticks are the primary source of deaths in dogs as we have the much maligned paralysis tick. None of these preparations are 100% so during tick season, or for those of us in countries like Australia, a daily inspection of the dog also must accompany the use of anti-tick preparations.

Back