• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Liver question

They said if it was any of the bad liver problems like a liver shunt (congenital portosystemic shunt) then he would have been a poorly puppy and other that the recent problem and his dry eye problem he is actually quite healthy and in good shape. They are surprised he didn't have problem with his anesthetic when he was neutered so we will have to watch that and basically any drugs he is given..one site I was reading specifically mentioned to watch wormers because the liver can't clean out the system as easily or quickly..I haven't done alot of reading on it yet as I am still trying to absorb what is going on with him and getting one thing under control before I start worrying about other things..

Wow. Did the vets give you a strategy for managing Robbie and did they say if there would likely be any repercussions?

That would make sense about the liver having a harder time to process things if it is smaller... I think I'd be looking at holistic alternatives where possible.

I almost never worm any of my cats or dogs -- never have -- and have never had problems with worms or ilnesses realting to them. After puppy worming, about once a year I do them all, usually in summer as often I'll have had some foster cats or dogs at that time. Mine don't eat other feces (except Lily when she can get deer or cat poop) or slugs/snails or any of the things that might pose a higher risk for problems, and my cats all live indoors and are not exposed to outside cats nor do they catch birds or vermin that ight carry parasites. In the US though you do have heartworm to contend with which we don't have in Ireland and I know even the Whole Dog Journal, which tends to be holistically-oriented, says the one thing not to use a holistic peparation for is heartworm. I'd talk to a holistic vet about some alternatives that might work for you? At least to get some alternatives you could think about.

That would make sense about the liver having a harder time to process things if it is smaller... I think I'd be looking at holistic alternatives where possible.

I almost never worm any of my cats or dogs -- never have -- and have never had problems with worms or ilnnesses realting to them. After puppy worming, about once a year I do them all, usually in summer as often I'll have had some foster cats or dogs at that time. Mine don't eat other feces (except Lily when she can get deer or cat poop) or slugs/snails or any of the things that might pose a higher risk for problems, and my cats all live indoors and are not exposed to outside cats nor do they catch birds or vermin that ight carry parasites. In the US though you do have heartworm to contend with which we don't have in Ireland and I know even the Whole Dog Journal, which tends to be holistically-oriented, says the one thing not to use a holistic peparation for is heartworm. On the general area of worming, I'd talk to a holistic vet about some alternatives that might work for you? At least to get some alternatives you could think about.

Luckily we don't have heart worm in this area and do not have to treat for it at this time...Robbie unfortunately is a poop eater so will try and watch that...and will do fecals to see if any worming is actually necessary for him..as far is management we are going to treat him like he is a pancratitis dog since he obvious had an attack..do labs every 6 months for a while to monitor and see what happens..I'm still need to do some research and see what else is necessary but for now we watch..

Well lets hope it is going to be one of those things you are aware about but doesn't cause any problems. You would think that if Robbie has made it to this age and his liver has not caused him any past problems, then maybe it is just an anomoly for him that his body has compensated for. Going for the low fat diet is probably a good thing anyway, pancreatitis aside. Was a time when I would give my dogs fat offcuts, but not any more. That now gets throwing into the bush for the wild critters.

Back