• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

News: Mickey Rooney Q&A (with a cav!)

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
From today's Guardian, in the Weekend magazine:

Q&A: Mickey Rooney
Interview by Rosanna Greenstreet
Saturday August 25, 2007
Guardian

Mickey Rooney was born Joe Yule Junior in Brooklyn in 1920. The son of performers, he first appeared on stage at the age of one and starred in his first film, Not To Be Trusted, in 1926. He later signed with MGM and, in the late 1930s, starred in the Andy Hardy movies, which made him famous. He has made more than 200 films, including The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn, National Velvet and Breakfast At Tiffany's. Tonight, he and his eighth wife, Jan, begin a UK tour of their musical show, An Audience With Mickey Rooney.

When were you happiest?

When I married Jan - we've been together almost 35 years now.

What is your greatest fear?

That I won't get to the loo in time.

What is your earliest memory?

Being backstage with my mom and dad, smelling the greasepaint.

Which living person do you most admire and why?

Billy Graham, a truly wonderful, spiritual man.

What was your most embarrassing moment?

Someone told me my fly was open, while doing a personal appearance.

Aside from a property, what's the most expensive thing you've bought?

Racehorses and diamond rings.

What is your most treasured possession?

My wife, Jan, my family and my home.

Where would you like to live?

Right where I am living now. I love to look out of our bedroom window overlooking our lake - when an occasional group of swans goes by, they light up the day for us.

What would your super power be?

To be able to touch people's hearts by doing another Academy Award-winning movie - the film would be very important and meaningful, and it would help bring all nations together.

What do you most dislike about your appearance?

Losing my hair. I used to have waves, now there is nothing but beach.

Who would play you in the film of your life?

It may take three or four different actors - I've been around for a while.

What is your most unappealing habit?

Eating unhealthy snacks in front of the television.

What is your favourite word?

My wife's name. She gets a kick out of the fact that when I call her, our beautiful talking macaw, Crackers, answers by saying, 'What?'

Cat or dog?

Dog. We have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Sir Digby. No matter how hectic life gets, we know when we get home our precious little companion is there with loving eyes waiting for us.

What is your fancy dress costume of choice?

Tuxedo with tails, but I really prefer to wear shorts all year long. I'm a California-casual kind of guy.

What is the worst thing anyone's said to you?

'You have to have heart bypass surgery.'

What is your guiltiest pleasure?

It used to be horse racing, but nowadays it's ice cream. Boy, can I get hooked on that pistachio nut.

What do you owe your parents?

My life, my talent, what's left of my looks.

What was the best kiss of your life?

I don't kiss and tell. However, Ava was great, but Jan is better.

Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?

Anthony Hopkins and his wife, Stella - it's our turn to have them to our house for dinner. And, oh, HRH, the Queen of England. Jan and I enjoyed her garden party in Washington DC recently, and would love to return the favour.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

'Jan, turn off that TV.' 'Jan, quick, the dog just peed on the carpet.'

What is the worst job you've done?

Cleaning up the dog poop.

If you could go back in time, where would you go?

To my old Andy Hardy days - it was a simpler time. Or to the days of Robin Hood - I would have liked to have played Robin Hood like my old friend Errol Flynn.

When did you last cry, and why?

Jan and I always cry over old movies.

What single thing would improve the quality of your life?

More exercise.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?

Marrying Jan and staying together for more than 30 years, and overcoming prescription drug addiction.

How would you like to be remembered?

As a guy who tried, made a few good movies and, I'd like to think, was a good husband to Jan.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian News and Media Limited 2007

He sounds like a really sweet guy. I like seeing him in old movie reruns, especially when he was a teenager. :)

OMG!! I was only watching my video of "National Velvet" the other night!! Talk about Deja Vu'!!
Cue Twilight theme music!!! ;) :D

I was just trying to find a picture of Rooney with said Cavalier when I came across an article stating he has been married 8 times!

Back