• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Beau's Graduation

Caraline

Beau graduated from Beginners Obedience today. I was so proud of that little man. :luv: Our classes were supposed to be run for 8 weeks but due to heavy rain (the venue is held outdoors) all but 4 classes were cancelled. We rolled up today expecting that we would fail our exam and have to repeat the classes. Our challenge has always been the “stay” command and as part of the assessment we needed to complete a 40 second sit & stay, a 40 second drop & stay, and a 40 second sit & stay on a long leash where we walk away from the dog & then do a recall. Ah I swear Beau knew we were being examined as he did them all perfectly. Right from the first week Beau has walked beautifully on a loose leash, does all his turns really well & is a little champ at recall, so we were very confident with that lot.

Next week we get to start Class 1. I really don’t have much of a clue what we will do in that class, but I guess it is more of the same except more strict & I guess longer stays etc. I have heard that the ultimate goal is to be able to have your dog remain in a sit & stay until you walk a long way from him, then do a recall & in the middle of the recall yell “drop” and have the dog drop instantly. That is the one they refer to as “the life saver”. At the moment that sounds like a huge challenge, but then it was only yesterday I thought a 40 second sit & stay sounded like a huge challenge.

:mexwav:

Congrats to you and Beau! It isn't JUST the dog after all; the handler is half the team! :lol: What a great achievement especially with having classes cancelled at that rate (sounds like our weather over here... rain rain rain rain rain. Today is supposed to be the FIRST summerlike day of sun and it is the last week in August :( ).

I like the idea of having those structured exams at the end -- scary to think of them coming up when you are in the class, but a real motivation to *practice*. :lol:

I hope he gets a special treat for his good performance! (and you get a nice glass of wine perhaps? :)).

:rah: Way to go Caraline and Beau! :cl*p: As Karlin says you sound like you are coming together as team very nicely!!

When we were wacthing the obedience classes at Crufts one part of it was for the owners to put their dogs ina "Down Stay" then they left the ring and the dogs had to stay there in the "down" for a period of time (not sure how long I believe 15 minutes was mentioned!) quite a few of those dogs took advantage of the opportunity to have a nice nap I can tell you!! :lol:

Good Luck in Class1, I am sure you will have a great time together and pass your next exam with flying colours too!! (y)

Back