• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Exercise pen height?

*Pauline*

I'm sure this has been posted before but I can't find where. I am about the buy this exercise pen.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEDIUM-HEAVY-D... QcmdZViewItem

I've established all the sizes from small to XX large are the same, only the hight varies. My question is what height pen is best? There's always a first time for a dog to learn to jump. Dylan did manage to jump out of the bath once, but this isn't high, only 16". I'd rather be cautious, I'm thinking 30" or 36" high.

I intend to use it if I am going out for an evening.

Last edited:
I was worried about height when I bought my xpen as I didn't know if they would jump out. I have a 30" pen and this works fine. They have never tried to jump out although Bella uses it to stretch on :)rolleyes:).

I have a crate that is just short of that height & a pen that is a couple more inches in height that my old Cavalier learnt to jump out of. :-| I think the key is to have nothing in or out of the pen that could be used to jump off or onto! Plus knowing what your dog is like.. My current Cavalier hasn't worked out how to jump onto the sofa yet even though she is more than capable of doing it so she wouldn't think of attempting jumping the pen as of yet.

If Dylan is related to Teddy, you are looking at about four feet ! He has a famous climber in his genes and his breeder had to replace her three foot high gate, because his mum could climb over it.

Some cavaliers are jumpers/climbers-- some are not. I have a couple that would easily scale a 30 inch pen or gate-- I have others that would never even try an 18 inch barricade. It also depends on what happens if they learn to get out. Are there things they could get hurt on? Or important things they can destroy?

I worried about this too but ours comes up to my knees which I thought wasn't high enough considering he can jump on the couch but he hasn't and wouldn't dare try and jump the X pen as it isn't big enough to get a run up and would catch his leg if he tried I am sure.

No, he would be in the kitchen with the door closed.

Then you might try a lower one-- the lower ones are nice in that you can step over and clean/ pick up bowls etc... with less problem. Our Topper only jumped the 28 inch gate when his mom was ill in bed. He was very worried and jumped over the tall gate onto the stairs headed up, to cuddle with "his" person.

Do you think it's ok to leave him in one for an evening? If I put a sheet over it, he wouldn't attempt to jump out I think. He's usually fine in his crate but I just like him to be able to stretch his legs.

I have a 30" pen and that's a good height. Jaspar would jump anything lower. 15" is definitely way to low for anything but a puppy IMHO. Like Sandy says why not go for a baby gate? I got one from Argos that is a pressure gate and opens easily for going in and out. I got another one as well, a handy plastic one that is also pressure release but not opening door in it). The pens do work well with a crate as well.

If he's fine in the kitchen, why not get a dog gate ? They are taller than baby gates.

We don't have doors on my kitchen cupboards, only curtains (see pic below), I think left long enough, he may be able to get into something, he hasn't tried before but I don't want to worry while I'm out!
471691239_28a1c35da8.jpg

Just wanted to add that if you attatch his crate to the pen make sure he can't jump up on it. Zoey has the lowest available pen and we had always attatched it to her wire crate. She figured out how to get out, but it was awhile before we figured out how she did it. She was jumping up on her wire crate and jumping out. Left alone in just the pen she doesn't try to escape.

If you are only out for a couple of hours, I'd stick with just the crate, (perhaps a slightly larger one) as Dylan will probably sleep for most of the time you're away. Then you don't have to worry about him jumping out and getting caught or messing with something.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I got the 30" high pen. It's only for if I go out for an evening and he might be on his own from maybe 7 to 12 at the longest. Or if I have to go out for the day (doesn't happen often, I take Dylan everywhere) and my mum pops in twice, he can move about more than the crate.

megan has a play pen that is 24" high we got it from http://www.thedoginn.com
and she is fine in that and we are thinking of getting on for lucy too as she has her crate at the moment and we would like to give her a little bit more space when we are out for longer than the hour
(she normally gets the run of the house when we are just away for a short time!)

Back