PDA

View Full Version : HOMED -- Pearl, an oldie, faces being pts!!!

Karlin
28th August 2007, 05:09 PM
I just got a call that a 14 year old cavalier has been surrendered to Ashton pound to be put down. I am trying to get more info but the guy at the pound seems to think s/he is still healthy and wants me to take a look at him to consider rehoming instead.

I have nowhere for this dog to go right now and no immediate hope of a home.

I have one hour to make a decision.

If anyone is interested in helping this dog it MUST be immediately or it will be pts.

I am ringing the pound to try and get further information. If someone is interested in or wishes to help this dog (NB assuming this dog is otherwise in good shape, I cannot guarantee s/he will be homeable if someone takes the dog as foster), I can try to have them hold off putting to sleep til tomorrow and sort him or her out to foster or a new home.

Karlin
28th August 2007, 05:36 PM
Ok, I have more information.

One of the wardens at the pound is VERY reluctant to put this lovely old girl down and will hang on to her if I think we can find a special retirement home for her.

So here's an appeal for PEARL, a lovely old cavalier lady of an amazing 14 and a half years old! We all know how incredible it is for these oldies to reach such an age and she deserves better for her little time remaining than to be put down in a pound.

She is a tricolour and in great nick. The owner surrendered her to be PTS and when asked if there was a reason, he said she is incontinent. The pound fellow asked if that was the only reason as she's a happy, lively senior with just slight cataracts otherwise, and the man said 'yes, that's it.' He has never tried her on the medications which would likely resolve this problem.

Bit the pound man says he has had her there since before lunch, and not a single sign that she is incontinent! It isn't like she is wandering around having constant problems! :mad: Like a lot of oldies it sounds like *maybe* it is a bit of the dribblies, if this dog even has this problem. I learned long ago never to trust the reasons people give for surrendering their dogs.

I emphasise that this isn't me thinking I should save every dog that comes in... this is one of the workers at Dublin's largest pound thinking it is a damn shame to put this old lady down and this is a pound where a lot of dogs are routinely put down each week. If he is making this call I'd say this is a lady very worth saving as they took the time to try and track me down rather than give her her wings today.

I'll have a picture later -- but Pearl is asking if anyone wants to open their hearts and homes to her for a dignified retirement. She will need a foster place asap -- the pound is not the right place for an older cavalier -- but for the moment she is OK as they will hold on to her for a short while in the hopes that there's a foster then a home for her out there. The sooner she is out of there the better though as no dog is safe til it is out.

sallymum
28th August 2007, 05:36 PM
I have pm u

sramirez
28th August 2007, 05:43 PM
Oh Karlin - why can't these lovely oldies be sent to the USA??? I'd take Pearl in a heartbeat!!

Sheri
Nebraska

coconut
28th August 2007, 05:54 PM
oh karlin my heart is breaking here i hope that some one can take her! i would love to take her but will not be allow :-(

If there is anything i can do in the way of transport let me know!!

sallymum
28th August 2007, 06:30 PM
Im sure Sam will share his bed with her. I will give her a home i love the oldies and the poor old girl can spent her last few yrs or what ever cuddling Sam, he has a thing for old ladies.

coconut
28th August 2007, 06:32 PM
Thats brilliant mary so glad someone can give him a home!

sallymum
28th August 2007, 06:33 PM
UP to Karlin.:D

Karlin
28th August 2007, 06:43 PM
Why don't you foster for now in the short term, and we can see and talk about it . :flwr: It may make a LOT of dogs for you... But if your family are all agreed on taking her, we can wait and see how she fits in. :) I don't think she would have a lot of time left before her but I'd like it to be quality time.

I am anxious to get her out of the pound. I can collect her tomorrow afternoon and take her to wherever, or meet someone part way. Or any time Thursday.

sallymum
28th August 2007, 06:51 PM
Thats greaty hopefully she will fit in. :xfngr:

Karlin
28th August 2007, 07:02 PM
Warden just told me a woman looking for a dog at the pound took her home as she saw her just before closing time, and felt so badly for her. He is going to pass me her number and I will check to make sure she actually wants to keep her.

Barbara Nixon
28th August 2007, 07:07 PM
Oh lets hope so, then Sallymum will be free to help another, who is bound to be along soon.

Arne
28th August 2007, 07:10 PM
It is great that the person working there took the time and trouble to contact you.
Pearl I hope you have got a lovely home.

Cathryn
28th August 2007, 07:45 PM
Just came on and saw this, I am so glad that Pearl was homed and even happier that the warden involved saw fit to give this "Golden Oldie" another bite of the cherry!! SallyMum, you are a total star to offer this girl a home, will watch this thread to see what the final outcome is for this one!:xfngr: :lotsaluv:

casshon
28th August 2007, 08:04 PM
I hope this one found a nice home. Our Cassie was 14 and half when she passed away and I couldn't imagine giving her away at that stage of her life :(.

Jen
28th August 2007, 08:28 PM
I hope this one found a nice home. Our Cassie was 14 and half when she passed away and I couldn't imagine giving her away at that stage of her life :(.

I know! This post makes me so sad. :( It sounds like there will be a happy ending for her though, but still how stressful for her.:(

Karlin
28th August 2007, 09:03 PM
The warden is sending me a pic later and I'll post it when I get it. I'll call the woman tomorrow and see how Pearl is doing.

Nick
28th August 2007, 10:23 PM
I hope Pearl gets a loving home.

Nick

Nicki
28th August 2007, 10:49 PM
oh bless her heart - I really don't understand people, how can they possibly give up a dog of that age, esp when she sounds to be in good health - they should be grateful and honoured to have a Cavalier of 14 1/2.

Thank goodness someone has taken her into their hearts...I hope she will have a forever home with them.

Lynn
28th August 2007, 11:03 PM
Karlin & Sallymum....you two (amoung others) truly have hearts of gold. Such loving, kind & compassionate people..... what an amazing group you all are. cl*p Well done.

Karlin
28th August 2007, 11:55 PM
Here she is :lotsaluv: . What a lovely girl! Those are the smaller cages at the pound so she must be on the smallish side. How could you possibly just leave her to the pound at this age... :mad: . Anyway the warden has been lovely, told the woman who took her that I'd be in touch so we shall see how they are getting on and if there are any issues I know we can work something out for her through the board. :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1329/1261484142_721b0f4002.jpg

sallymum
28th August 2007, 11:58 PM
Oh she is beautiful. If the lady decided not to keep her the offer still stands.:D

Ruth
29th August 2007, 12:02 AM
Can you imagine if this is the first time this old girl has been away from her owner in all her years? it makes me want to cry.
Hopefully it has a happy ending and to be honest he ain't much of an owner anyway to subject her to this, uncaring coward that he is.

Having a fourteen year old girl with a similar problem there is the option of washable nappies available, pm me if anyone wants the link. Same as the incontinent boys, there are belly bands available too. It shouldn't be a problem, or in this case, was it just an excuse?

Ruth

misty
29th August 2007, 12:18 AM
omg!

She looks so much like Lady Topsy that she's brought tears to my eyes. Bless her heart.

I don't know how people can give up a dog like that either. I love the oldies, well I love all of them, but have a special soft spot for the oldies.

Aileen
29th August 2007, 08:27 AM
I have only just seen this but she is beaitful How could anyone want to put this little girl down hope that it is a happy ending
------Aileen( was Matties Mum) and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Cathryn
29th August 2007, 11:00 AM
What a beautiful little girl she is! :lotsaluv: I too cannot believe that her long time owner just dumped her either :yikes: Still, there's nowt as queer as folk I suppose! Looking forwards to hearing Karlins update on her!

Claire L
29th August 2007, 11:10 AM
OMG! I missed this post; I was out all yesterday. So glad that little Pearl has found a forever home so quickly. She is such a sweet little dote :luv:

coconut
29th August 2007, 11:39 AM
She does not look her age at all! SO cute bless her! hopefully all will work out with her! Cannot believe her owner could leave her like that!

*Pauline*
29th August 2007, 11:43 AM
What a sweet looking girl, she looks young to me, only her grey highlights gives a clue. Awww bless her, no wonder the lady took her home, I wouldn't have been able to resist.

Jen
29th August 2007, 03:39 PM
Wow, she looks wonderful for her age! I'm so glad she's found a home, she deserves better.

Cleo's Person
29th August 2007, 03:59 PM
Gosh she looks fantastic for her age. Karlin, can you keep us posted on how she gets on?

Karlin
29th August 2007, 05:59 PM
Just had a kind call from her new owner. Pearl sounds like she has landed right on her feet! Her owner told me there was even a second home from the pound at the time as another girl with a spaniel was interested in her so looks like the cavalier angels were watching out for Pearl. :)

She says she has not had a single problem with incontinence since she arrived so who knows if this was ever true about her. She says she is very spry for her age! Her vet has had a look at her and while she has a heart murmur there's not much else wrong and the vet says she was very well cared for -- so very odd that she was surrendered in for such an end.

Her new owner may join the board and post some fresh pictures once Pearl has settled in and been groomed. :)

coconut
29th August 2007, 06:02 PM
A lovely ending to a very sad story!!!

misty
29th August 2007, 06:02 PM
:) :) wonderful news!

Cleo's Person
29th August 2007, 06:59 PM
That's great news. Hopefully her new owner will join. Hint hint ..... :D

Karlin
29th August 2007, 07:09 PM
Have been told by one of the pound rescuers that the owner was directly told she would likely be pts as she was unlikely to be rehomed and he said to pts then as he didn;t care. It was suggested he then take her to a vet as that would be more humane for her and he said he didnt want to pay. :mad:

I suspect he was not the actual owner given her good state of care but that she belonged to an elderly relative no longer able to care for her as his attitude just doesn't make sense.

I hope he receives similarly dismissive treatment from relatives when he is old... and what comes round goes around.

Miss Daisy
29th August 2007, 07:49 PM
I hope he receives similarly dismissive treatment from relatives when he is old... and what comes round goes around.

hear hear! how many times does this happens that we don't hear about? or at a pound that doesn't have a group of volunteers trying to sort out dogs? it's frightening how SOME relatives are, especially when the animal stands in the way of selling the property, are quite willing to simply drop the dog off for pts. even knowing how their relatives cherished their dog. or perhaps no one paid attention to the elderly relative and the dog was their only solace, until said relative died. :mad:

karlin knows how i just came face to face with a very neglected old lab (left in the garden for six months after relative died) and transported him to a rescue. the "loving" relative wanted the dog out of dead relative's house - after the dog had sat there with little food or companionship as the property went through probate - so they could sell it. pound was called to pick up and dispose of. :( turns out this poor fellow, who had a home waiting for him, was quite ill from a kidney infection that was ignored for the months of disregard and neglect, and couldn't be saved.

as i say i think it happens a lot more then any of us are aware of. luckily my relatives and friends - i KNOW they would sort my dogs and cat if something were to happen to them. i do trust them... but how about these other poor people who have relatives who hate animals. it's very sad.

Cathryn
29th August 2007, 08:21 PM
I too believe that what goes around comes around, this person will get theirs, don't worry, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they do is all! :swear:

I am so glad to hear that Pearl is now in a loving and caring home, the cavvie angels certainly were out in force for this special little lady weren't they?? I do hope her new owner joins talk, I would love to hear how she is going along and see :snap: :snap: of her too!! Many Thanks for the updates Karlin!!

Karlin
29th August 2007, 11:02 PM
i KNOW they would sort my dogs and cat if something were to happen to them.

Well I have laid my claims to Mildred if you go... :lol: :winkct: Though her ladyship would need special premises that were cat-free.

The situation with the older lab was shameful and shocking. Miss daisy loves labs as much as we love our cavaliers so you can imagine how difficult this was for her. :flwr:

AT
29th August 2007, 11:17 PM
so glad she has a home to spend her days in , they all deserve to be loved at the end.

a friend of ours picked up an ancient b/t from the road
A few months earlier we'd had a call from someone who said his mother had died & he had her 14 year old b/t & a younger one in the barn but he never called back for us to get them
The old girl was found in the same village so we assume it was the same one. what happened to the other I dont know ...

But she got a lovely home for her last few months & was loved when she went.

Just one of many similar cases.
When I win the lottery i'll have a sanctuary for all he old / sick unwanted ones. they deserve better than being unloved & unwanted

WoodHaven
30th August 2007, 12:04 AM
What great news that this grand dam has found a home. I am appalled that anyone could give up on her like this.

Ruth
30th August 2007, 02:33 AM
Just wonderful news about Pearl and I do suspect the person surrendering was not her owner.
I think old Fred that we have, and rescued by AT, suffered a similar fate but was thrown out and left to fend for himself. The first day I had him he sat up and begged for his breakfast, talk about bringing a lump to the throat.

Pearl has love and warmth for the rest of her days now, what a wonderful ending.

Lynn
30th August 2007, 02:50 AM
so glad she has a home to spend her days in , they all deserve to be loved at the end.

I agree 100%..... but also want to add that young or old, each cavie deserves to be treated with the utmost love and devotion for their entire lives from their humans.

WoodHaven
30th August 2007, 02:53 AM
Just wonderful news about Pearl and I do suspect the person surrendering was not her owner.
I think old Fred that we have, and rescued by AT, suffered a similar fate but was thrown out and left to fend for himself. The first day I had him he sat up and begged for his breakfast, talk about bringing a lump to the throat.

Pearl has love and warmth for the rest of her days now, what a wonderful ending.

This makes me want to write out a special section of protection (in our will) for my dogs (should hubby and I expire at the same time). I'd be so upset if someone decided that the dogs were an inconvenience and to let them loose, dump them in a shelter or pts.

Cathy T
30th August 2007, 03:42 AM
I just love the way this story has developed. I do think you're right Karlin...that man most likely was not her owner. No one would have a dog for that long and then callously disregard her that way, not considering the good condition she was in. My friends all know (3 in particular!!) that if anything ever happened to us they are accepting the responsibility of seeing to the dogs, just as I've accepted responsibility to see after their children.

What a lovely beginning for Pearl, to spend the rest of her life in warmth, comfort and love...the way it should be!!:luv:

Karlin
30th August 2007, 11:55 AM
Lawyers say to definitely put in your will what should happen with pets to provide for them. Also have friends who know this. As with Miss daisy I have friends who know specifically what should happen with my cats and dogs and know some amongst my friends would take certain of them. They know which cats and dogs would need to be homed together if at all possible.

In your will you can specify money to go to specific people who would care for your animals for example.

But it is important for family and friends to know of your wishes too. My neighbour died and her will specified that money was to go to animal welfare groups and her dogs to be rehomed but some relative :mad: took all her dogs to the pound. As surrenders they could all have been pts but another neighbour (the elderly man whose dogs I walk each week) drove to the pound and took them back out. He still has one.

Ruth
30th August 2007, 01:36 PM
The Cinnamon Trust is something I have always thought about looking into as I have got older.

Karlin
30th August 2007, 01:40 PM
Ruth, what's that? I like the name! :)

lady and amber
30th August 2007, 01:47 PM
here`s a link to there web site

http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/ctrust.html

Barbara Nixon
30th August 2007, 02:08 PM
You're too young , Karlin.:D

Cathryn
30th August 2007, 03:51 PM
Now that is worth looking into/thinking about :luv:

misty
30th August 2007, 04:40 PM
This is a very good point - I need to change some details on my wishes for my dogs, should something happen to me or Simon.

Karlin, maybe I'll leave all of them to you in my Will ;)

kayf
1st September 2007, 12:56 PM
hello everyone,

i joined at last. i'm kay, pearl's new owner. she's an absolute sweetheart. she was even trying to jump up on me today with her arthritic hind legs. she's a joy. as for the incontinence; it amounts to sometimes not being able to make it before her barking wakes me up. this problem has been solved over the last few days, be waking her up, late at night to go outside for 15 minutes or so.

she has settled in well. she loves her little walks and drives in the car and trying to chase my cat and the magpies.

the vet says she was a well loved and well cared for dog, so it must have been a relative. non-pet-lovers aside, apart from the fun of having her, i have met and talked to some wonderful people through pearl: the man at the pound who espoused her cause, karlin, the other woman at the pound who was also falling in love with her but had a husband to convince and all of you who have shown your concern for her, and my lovely vet, who gave me an unbidden discount for taking her in. she's on meds for the arthritis and may need them for her heart. hopefully, she will live out her remaining days in contentment.

Karlin
1st September 2007, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the board and thanks so much for the update! :)

It's so lovely to hear she is doing well. How kind of your vet to give a discount and that's great that you have found a good approach for her wees. That was a good and simple solution.

I am sure some of the folks here would have some arthritis recommendations too -- lots do really well with some glucosemine/fishoils/cosequin (sp?)supplements, just like people do.

If you get some pictures we'd love to see Pearl added to our golden oldies gallery. She will be one of the oldest dogs there! :rah:

Holly
1st September 2007, 06:41 PM
Kay- you are Pearl'sguardian angel. I am sure her former owner who cared for her would be thrilled to know that she once again has a loving home. Maybe the owner passed away and it was the relative who brought her in? Poor baby, but I am so glad she is safe and happy!

Cathryn
1st September 2007, 07:17 PM
How wonderful to hear an update on Pearl! You truly are a generous person to take her on! Also your vet deserves praise too for giving you discount!! It is wonderful to hear how well she has settled in with you, a truly incredible ending to this story!! :lotsaluv:

Aileen
1st September 2007, 07:20 PM
Thank You for taking Pearl in to your home :D
Welcome to the cavalier talk
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie----Sam)

molly
1st September 2007, 08:41 PM
A big welcome to Kay and Pearl. Kay, you are an angel to give Pearl a loving home. She will bring you much job in return. Good job by all.

sallymum
1st September 2007, 10:39 PM
Well done Kay for giving Pearl a home. I have taken rescues in and there is nothing more fulfilling as to watch them blossom. You are a star.:flwr:

*Pauline*
1st September 2007, 11:34 PM
Lovely to meet you Kay and thank you for taking Pearl. I just realised I'm wiping away tears here! I'm so happy things worked out the way they did. :D

lucylue
3rd September 2007, 12:58 PM
Awwwwwww well done Kay for giveing Pearl a home you are an angel i wish you both all the best.Big hug to you both.

kayf
3rd September 2007, 01:25 PM
thank you all so much for your welcome,

there have still been a few woopsies with pearl, but she is an absolute delight.

to be honest, it's not so much about my kindness. i went to the pound, wanting a dog and i couldn't resist her sweet face and nature. i'm the one getting the good deal. i now have a beautiful snuffly companion, who if she isn't following me, watching me or sleeping, is over for constant cuddles. where i am, she is, and i think she's accepted me as her new owner. she's even managing to wag her arthritic tail in the mornings. i'd definitely adopt such an old sweetie again.

thanks again to you all.

ps, i'll post photos after her grooming and when i get around to getting a camera.

coconut
3rd September 2007, 01:31 PM
photo's would be great!! sounds like she adores u and is loving her new owner!

Barbara Nixon
3rd September 2007, 01:38 PM
I'm so pleased that Pearl is settling in with you, Kay. I was on pins when Karlin first posted about her.

Ruth, rescued her Fred, who's quite elderly , from an English pound. I'm sure she'll tell you how well he's come on since then. She, too finds him a real delight.

Cathy T
3rd September 2007, 05:23 PM
Hooray for Pearl!!! Kay, you are Pearl's guardian angel. Thank you so much for letting her into your heart (but it sounds like you didn't have a choice, she chose you!) and loving her so much.

Nick
3rd September 2007, 05:48 PM
Well done Kay! Isn't it great when these heartbreaking stories have a happy ending?

Nick

Daisy's Mom
3rd September 2007, 07:26 PM
God Bless You, Kay and Pearl! You are both treasures and deserve the best -- I'm so glad you found each other!

Cleo's Person
4th September 2007, 10:45 AM
Kay, I'm delighted you've joined the forum, so we can continue to follow Pearl's story. You are an angel to have rescued her. Looking forward to hear how you ladies e=get on together.