• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

problems of reverse sneeze?

Moviedust

I was just curious what the results of a reverse sneeze would be if the dog doesn't get over it or if someone isn't around to help out.

Will the dog pass out and then be able to breath more easily?

Could a dog die??

This is only a guess, but as covering the nose makes them pause and then breath normally, I would imagine that going unconscious would have the same effect. I've never heard anyone mention losing a dog this way and I've been in touch with hundreds of owners.

Joly had an unpleasant experinece a few weeks ago; his own fault. While some grass was being strimmed, he started snaffling it and ended up doing the sneeze, which took longer than usual to subside.

Later that day, he ran downstairs, behind me, then started to sneeze, normally, but could not stop; reverese sneeze remedies not working. Just at the point when I was beginning to think I'd need to ring the vet for advice, I noticed a tiny piece of grass, on the tip of his nose. thinking that this was the cause of the tickle, I went to flick it away, only to find that it was about 4cm long, but it came out with no problems.

Just this morning Bella did this reverse sneeze thing. It really worried me - it lasted for about a minute or so. It seemed as though she was trying to cough something up. She was shaking and hunched over. I would also love to know more about this - is it common? What is the cause? Should she see a vet?

It's very common among our breed and doesn't need medical attention. Next time, cover the dog's nostrils, for a few seconds and if this doesn't work, try gently rubbing the throat.

Reverse sneezing is dramatic to see but easily remedied. But have to admit I too wonder what would happen if I wasn't around when it happens, but then given all of mine would most likely be fast asleep anyway.........Hmmmmmm!!

My current dog doesn't do it, but my last cavalier did. It was usually when he was excited and was overbreathing.

Reverse Sneezing or Back Snorting is fairly common in cavaliers, they have an overelongated pallete which when they get over excited casn cause them so start to actually swallow their pallete/tongue. There is a quite common stance, head drawn back, front legs rigid and a snorting noise is easliy heard, this is easily over come by placing your fingers over the dogs nose and gently pushing the head forwards and downwards into the dogs chest, if this fails to "flip" things forwards, then you can open the dogs mouth gently and put your fingers slightly into the throat are which will activate (so to say) the gag reflex which will put everything back into place and your dog will usually wlak off looking at you with a "What the heck???" expression!! :lol:

Back