• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New, from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Arlene

Hi. My name is Arlene and I am a mom of two teen sons. I have posted in the recent past, anxiously wanting to ask a question before I was set up, Just a little bit of ADHD rubbing off from the teens here.

We have three furry friends who live amongst us. J P is our 14 year old husky mix, Missie is a young Cavalier x Tibetan Spaniel mix, and Rocky is our young Cavalier. They are both just short of two. I am interested in breeding Cavaliers in the future.

Always having had an interest in human genetics, I am now interested in canine genetics. I have had less of an interest in computers and their operations so please bear with me while I muddle through.:D

Welcome to the board. We have some great, health-focused breeders here with knowledge of genetics -- am sure they will be happy to give some advice on getting into breeding in the right way. :) While I don't allow direct advice on actually breeding a litter -- because I don't want to encourage backyard breeding -- general context questions are fine, as are discussions on genetic issues, how to get involved in clubs and find a good mentor, etc. You'll see there have been a good few along these lines in the past! BruceH's forum in the health section, in which he detailed all that was involved with breeding two litters, is a great resource for best practice too. Cathryn's forum in the same area on her decision to MRI some of her breeding girls is also very informative on one of the tough health/genetic related challenges facing breeders in this breed at the moment.

Look forward to some pictures of your gang!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Thanks for the welcome and direction guys. I actually lurked long before I ever joined, and have almost committed to memory the threads you mentioned Karlin.

With the human genetic defects that run in my family, I fully understand I am no where near knowledgeable enough to be breeding litters, and I am very aware I will have to watch, read, and learn a ton more about showing and the show ring. That is where I am at my weakest.

I had always planned on showing and possibly breeding as I reached retirement, as my own mother did. It was not until after I purchased Rocky that I really looked into SM. I did so because our vet"s secretary has a Cavalier with SM. She is only mildly effected, but she is also still only 21 months. I sometimes sigh and wish I loved a different breed, as the difficulties in the Cavalier sometimes seem unsurmountable.

I know that I am anxiously waiting for news following the October symposium, and that this is the forum where thoughts on that topic will be shared.(y)

Hi there!

icon_welcome to the boards!! Feel free to ask away, we will do our level best to help you but we are all still learning too!! ;) Look forwards to reading more of your posts! (y)

Back