• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Milk?

ClaireH

hi guys,

bonnie recently went off her food a bit. so in the mornings i started mixing a small amount of milk in with her dry food-jst enough 2 wet it. and she adores it.

but i've just read that most dogs are lactose-intolerant and that it can cause diarrhea. so far there have been no sign of any tummy upsets or diarrhea.

is it ok to keep giving it to her? can it cause problems later on even though she seems fine now?

If she tolerates this tiny bit that is probably fine. However a small amount of chicken broth or even just water, to make a slight gravy, is a better option.

i tried water with it to soften it, also tried tuna, she pretty much turned her nose up at both. she loved a bit of wet dog food mixed wit it at the start but went off that after 2 or 3 days. milk is the first thing that she really seems to like. typical-the one thing she shouldn't be having! :rolleyes: but i don't want to risk her being sick with it in the future.

so i'll definately give the chicken broth a go and see how that goes down!
thank you!

Milk in small amounts is OK, but you might like to maybe try using goats milk as this is closer to bitches milk in make up. This is what I generally give my puppies when they first come away from their mums :lotsaluv:

Cows milk in moderation is fine. Izzy always had the lickings fom david's morning cereal; now it's Monty's treat.

My dog's breeder changed to using goat's milk for her puppies, when i got the last one, Teddy. I asked the vet if it was really a better choice, as buying a carton for one small puppy would be very wasteful, but she said that at 10 weeks, cows milk was fine.

Goat's milk is better because the proteins are smaller and easier to digest. Cow's milk in small amounts is fine as long as there are no tummy upsets.

Harry drinks goats milk, as it's all we have, my 7 year old son is allergic to cows milk, and it even says on the milk carton that goats milk is good for dogs

You can always freeze milk if you only use a small amount! We have a farm nearby where they keep a herd of goats and sell cheese's etc, so I am very lucky to be able to get hold of very fresh goats milk at really good prices!! If I am only using a small amount I decant it into ice cube trays and freeze it then simply defrost how many cubes I need at a time!!

Many people do not realise you can freeze milk, I even freeze a 6 pinter each week to use later in the week, just remember to give it a good shake once defrosted and you're away! :D (y)

Most dogs tolerate cows milk well and all of mine love a bowl of nice warm milk, especially in winter.

Back