• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

This makes me sick!

there is a bbc thing about this on bbc1 at nine tonight
-----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

It's disgusting but I am really glad these people are being exposed. These poor, sad dogs as well -- what a miserable, cruel life. I was told by very informed sources that there are people within the breed clubs down here involved in fighting as well -- and a vet. Very, very hard to prosecute them. That is really brave and great work by Panorama.

The ISPCA knows there are plenty of fighting rings down here too but it is getting them when they are actually doing something that is hard to do as everything is so secretive.

But is is a known fact that they steal pet dogs to bait those pits. :( Sometimes dogs come into rescue that are dumped dogs that must have been used as fighting bait. :mad:

"Thankfully" (???) I missed this and am glad that I did as I cannot abide this, first we have the case of a well known U.S athlete being involved in dog fighting and now this?? Where will it end? Totally and utterly disgusting behaviour from people to whom some members of the public and their children look up to as role models! :swear:

i cannot watch things in work good job!! This makes me so angry i would love to really hurt all of these people like they hurt dogs!

Oh my god!! I watched that last night, it was horrible, I couldnt stop crying when they were showing the dogs fighting, it was disgusting!!!!!

You can make a difference.

For anyone in Ireland:

* write the GAA and ask them to publicly condemn this player. They are saying it is a matter for the courts which is not acceptable when they brag about how players serve as key role models for children
* write the ISPCA and Minister John Gormley asking for this horrific practice to be investigated in the Republic as well

For Irish and UK members:

*contact Panorama and praise them for exposing this issue and helping to initiate action. Their email is: [email protected]

What a sick creep! I sure hope that there is a great big dog guarding entry to the Pearly Gates.

It's the Gaelic Athletic Association, in Ireland (North and south).

More news:

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/sport/story.asp...4z334&t=gaa

Tyrone star's future in doubt over dog fight claims
31/08/2007 - 16:22:01

Disgraced Gaelic football star Gerard Cavlan will never play for Tyrone again, it was claimed tonight.

The All-Ireland Championship winner’s glittering career appears to be in ruins after he was linked to an international dog fighting scandal.

With police facing demands to reopen an investigation into Cavlan’s secret life working with pit bull terriers, the Tyrone County Board is to hold urgent talks on the player’s future within the next few days.

But sources close to senior officials claimed the forward would never wear the red and white jersey again.

One said: “Most people think he’s finished. He’s not getting any support from anywhere.”

Cavlan, 31, who played a key role in Tyrone’s 2003 All-Ireland title-winning side, was secretly filmed boasting about the dogs’ strength and skills in a fight.

The shocking revelations, in an undercover TV investigation, appear to have shattered Cavlan’s claims earlier this year that he was not involved in the savage sport.

Even though he was fined £650 in his hometown of Dungannon after pleading guilty to possession of a dangerous dog, his lawyer denied the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) star had any links to illegal activities.

But his claim to have just collected the pit bull from kennels for another man were rubbished by a BBC Northern Ireland Spotlight and Panorama programme.

And a close friend has now conceded it would be almost impossible for Cavlan to continue playing.

“He knows he’s personally damaged. There’s probably no way back from this,” he said.

“He was thinking of packing it in anyway this year, but before this all blew up many people thought he had another year left in him.”

In the programme, Cavlan was accused of being the joint owner of a dog-fighting operation known as The Bulldog Sanctuary Kennels.

The investigation also uncovered a trail to Finland where breeders prepare animals from as young as 10 months to be exported to Northern Ireland.

Horrified animal welfare campaigners and public representatives lined up to demand tough action after watching sickening footage of owners goading their dogs to tear each other apart in blood-drenched pits.

During talks today with Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, the Northern Ireland First Minister Ian Paisley urged the authorities in Dublin to review legislation being exploited by gangs involved in illegal cross-border dog trading.

“All who saw those pictures will have been horrified by the vicious and grotesque scenes,” Mr Paisley said.

“It is beyond comprehension how human beings can be involved in such activity.”

Pledging to work with the UK and Irish Governments to end the barbarity, he added: “A review and amendment of legislation in the Republic would go a long way in helping the authorities on both sides of the border to ensure the animal abuse is stopped.”

Cavlan, an ex-pub owner, claimed on the programme to have up to 15 dogs.

And he reportedly said of one pit bull: “Sure he had him in the chest, and he shook him and he shook him for 25 minutes.

“If he hadn’t got you killed in half an hour… he was in trouble, you know. A real hard-mouthed dog.”

The exposure has piled pressure on Tyrone GAA chiefs to ban him for life.

Board chairman Pat Darcy refused to say whether any such action was possible.

He said: “We have no comment to make other than to utterly condemn any form of abuse or torture of animals.”

Mr Darcy added that he did not want to prejudice any future legal proceedings.

But Sinn Féin MLA and Tyrone fan Barry McElduff insisted GAA chiefs need not intervene.

Although he expressed his abhorrence at the brutality involved, Mr McElduff added: “I don’t think that it’s a matter for the GAA because the alleged actions took place in the individual’s own time and as a private citizen.”

The investigation also discovered 15 illegal dog-fighting gangs in the North – five in Belfast and some with connections to international organisations.

One gang, The Farmer Boys, was infiltrated and found to be involved in fighting matches across the North and abroad.

As police confirmed they were studying footage of the programme, Fermanagh and South Tyrone MLA Lord Morrow demanded a legal inquiry.

He claimed public prosecutors should call witnesses who were prepared to give evidence for Cavlan during his original case back to court to explain their testimonies.

“Their statements should be thoroughly examined following this exposure of bloodthirsty thuggery,” the Democratic Unionist Assemblyman said.

“It is my belief all the stops were pulled out to protect Cavlan’s sporting career.”

The Sinn Féin Agriculture Minister at Stormont, Michelle Gildernew, also hit out at those involved in the sport.

Pledging to work for an end to the cruelty across Ireland, she said: “I cannot believe that such barbaric practices still take place and they must be stopped.”

That is horrible. I don't think I can watch the video. A football player in U.S. did the same, and is now suspended from NFL. Michael Vicks is the name, I think. I hope he gets a long jail time and his punishment serves sets a lesson to others. Same goes for this terrible guy in this post.

Back