• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

"Quirkey" Cavaliers.....

Kelly

We had a hot air balloon go over our house the other day, it was very low as you could hear the people on the balloon cheering. Chester went absolutely nuts, barking his head off. Which is a lot for him as he is usually a mute!

I just wondered what things set your dogs off? The only other thing Chester really goes crazy at is people with umbrellas. He does make us laugh. I just wish he could tell me what he is thinking........

That reminded me of Monty, when he was our only dog. We were looking at cars at a huge out of town 'supermarket' when a plane passed over us, quite low and our quiet lad decided that he's get it.

We got Monty at 20 weeks and thought he would never bark. However, when he was about 8 months, I was driving through a village and slowed right down for a chicane in the road. all of a sudden, this bark nearly made me jump out of my skin--A pedal cyclist had drwn level with the car and Monty was having none of it.

He's not so quiet anymore, though he's rarely the one to start a group bark. Sometimes, early in a morning, he'll sit on the landing and bark. Whether he's seen something through the glass in the front door or wants 'out' we don't know, as he expects 'out' anyway , if someone gets up.

Izzy was shy (we never knew why, as he was outgoing as a puppy and was never frightened by anyone), but always barked when a visitor stood up to leave. The only exceptions were my son's, but not Andrew's wife. Teddy has now taken to doing the same and Joly joins in, just incase he misses some attention.

We get mass barks if I appear to be getting ready to go out (they don't bother if David is going out; just me) and when I forget the fishskins or go to collect dinner bowls for filling. Once the food appears, though, everone sits and waits nicely.

Last edited:
I am working on Scout's barking. She likes to bark. Mainly she is pretty quiet, but if she see the dreaded squirrels she goes nuts. For some reason she likes to bark at 5:30 am when I put her out before I leave for work. I have to run out the back door sorta of whisper yelling at her hoping she hasn't woken the whole neighborhood up. If she's inside laying on the back of the chair looking out the window anything is fair game to be barked at. Like I said I'm working on it. Also she barks when Breeze does, or other dogs start barking, she has no idea what she's barking at she just figures everyone else is doing it. :rolleyes:

Bentley and Clancy come to work with me, and when the occasional visitor comes, or the postman, they sit very quietly watching the conversation and goings on.

Then, as soon as the person leaves and shuts the door, they both erupt into barking and run at the door! It's so funny... they are two reserved gentlemen, and then all-of-a-sudden they are Tough Guys going after the shut door!

Miles has a thing for balloons, especially when they have a bit of helium left in them, and they drift through our loft - he loves to chase and bark at them!
In this picture he's not scared anymore...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11144478@N07/1286368341/

*sigh* For Holly it's her water bowl. It has to be filled to a certain level, or she barks at it. And the food bowl- she complains as soon as she's eaten enough to see the bottom of the bowl. It's not as if her present bowl is steel or anything reflective, either! It's tupperware, for pity's sake.

Amber's currently got an obsession with the oven. She's convinced that another doggy lives in the oven and keeps barking at her reflection and then trotting out the back to try and find it. Daft pup.

Bailey tends to bark at certain things on the tv, including:

*dogs
*Meerkat manner commercials w/ the meerkats running around (ALWAYS)
*This one blown up man on a PC commercial - that one really does it, I am not sure why, he will run right up to the tv to bark at the man, but only him
*Fireworks on TV

He also barks if the TV is on mute.

Bailey tends to bark at certain things on the tv, including:

*dogs
*Meerkat manner commercials w/ the meerkats running around (ALWAYS)
*This one blown up man on a PC commercial - that one really does it, I am not sure why, he will run right up to the tv to bark at the man, but only him
*Fireworks on TV

He also barks if the TV is on mute.

Oh my gosh!! So the same here! The other day Ginger was barking very loudly at Oprah and Dr. Phil. When other guests came on she stopped, then barked when they appeared again.

Oh my gosh!! So the same here! The other day Ginger was barking very loudly at Oprah and Dr. Phil. When other guests came on she stopped, then barked when they appeared again.

Hahaha! It's so funny how it's only certain people!

The other day I was so sick, and watched movies all day. The last movie I watched was the Lake House, and ANYTIME Keanu Reeves came onto the TV Bailey would growl and bark at our TV lol. It's like hmm I agree he IS a bad actor haha, maybe he just has good taste haha. It was so funny because he was totally relaxed whenever anyone else was on the screen. :p

Back