PDA

View Full Version : NEone recommend a car seat?

Clairelou
31st August 2007, 09:30 PM
Hi, I've been looking for a car seat for ages... a nice comfy one that attaches to the car seat for security, have I been looking in the wrong places? Anyone help?

arasara
2nd September 2007, 01:39 AM
Hi Claire,

I have a luxury oversized lookout made by snoozer. The seatbelt goes around the back, and there are 2 straps which attach to the seatbelt and then to the dog's harnesses. I really like my carseat as 2 dogs fit into it.

http://xfa.xanga.com/8c8d641541130137740531/b101182997.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1268/748662516_17b7ed722e_b.jpg

Hope tha thelps :)

Karlin
2nd September 2007, 11:58 AM
One concern at least for me, is that none of these raised car seats for dogs have ever been safety tested and certified -- which is why I won't use them. I feel they put dogs into a far more dangerous position (at the direct level of shattered glass and flying objects within a car, with no protection at all) than if they are harnessed securely at lower seat level or crated. Also something to consider is that many emergency services have a standard policy that they will NOT rescue dogs from a car accident unless they are crated because injured dogs are likely to bite.

The best and safest car harnesses -- and the ONLY brand that has ever been tested in a formal crash test dummy situation, are these:

www.ruffrider.com

Many who have actually been through car accidents with dogs, who have posted to various cavalier lists, say (despite the info on the Ruffrider site) crates are the only thing they would trust as in a collision a dog can still be thrown forward against a harness at many times the speed of the car or crushed as the vehicle is hit or hurt by flying metal and glass. Some basic physics: in a 30 mile per hour crash a loose pet weighing 15 pounds will strike a solid object (like the windshield, or the back of the seat) with the impact of an object weighing 300 pounds. Many car harnesses are actually just harnesses on tethers that are too long and would slam the dog right into the back of the seat or dashboard and provide no safety to the dog at all, or are poorly fitted by owners sothey could slip right out (whereas a solid plastic crate of the right (small) size confines the dog more safely and protects against crushing). If the car is crushed or rolled, a dog in a harness could be dead or seriously injured. Ruffrider argue that crates can be shattered at high impact but I have read about many accidents where vehicles rolled, and dog people feel their dog only survived -- and didn't run away -- because it was in a crate.

I use harnesses for most short trips on city streets (low speeds) and usually, crates for most long trips where I will be travelling at higher speeds.

Also don't forget a dog should never be in a seat that has an airbag as this would be lethal for a small breed. :thmbsup:

We all have our own and differing levels of acceptable risk in choosing how to transport dogs. Any kind of restraint is much better than none at all, but after that point, when choosing an option, be sure to look carefully at construction of restraint systems, be sure they are fitted properly, and maybe talk to your vet about what they consider to be a safe mode of transport. I always measure the freedom of movement on a harness that a dog has -- if it comes within a few inches of the back seat, or of the dog can slide sideways (eg on a loop) and be flung into a window or side of the car, then the harness is giving too much leeway to be safe.

Cathryn
2nd September 2007, 12:18 PM
Some years back now there was a horrific accident outside the N.E.C during Crufts involving an exhibitors car and one of the buses. I don't remember exact details but I do know it was widely reported that the main thing that had prevented the dogs being transported in the back of the car from being seriously injured was the fact they were safely in crates at the time of the accident.
My lot always travel in a crate no matter how long or short the journey is! :drivecar:

Clairelou
5th September 2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks Sara, Karlin and Cathryn for the replies :) have taken all the advice on board and have ordered a ruffrider and a crate :thmbsup: Sara you're doggies are beautiful.