• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Registered name?

Holly

It seems like, based on what I have read, that breeders register their puppies with their AKC names. Is that the way it usually works? I got to give Oliver his registered name and Im afraid I wasnt very original....and now its time to do Bentley's name...

Bentley is adorable, but not perfect "Cavalier markings"---he is a Blenheim that has one white eye and one ruby eye...what I believe is called a "clown face". When I was little, my Nana (who is now in her late 80's and in a nursing home but was my absolute hero) used to rock me in the rocking chair and sing Judy Collins' song "Send in the Clowns".

What do you think about calling him "Kennel Name Send in the Clowns"? I mean it in the utmost respect to my Nana and to sweet, adorable little Bentley, but does it sound like an insult??? That is not at all how I mean it!

Any other suggestions if that doesnt work??

Well it depends on who breeders register with. In the US reputable breeders would register with either the AKC or the CKCSC or sometimes both. The name they register is the registered name. If they register with the AKC, whatever name they register becomes the AKC name.

Outside the US, reputable breeders would only register with their national breed registry -- eg the KC in the UK, the IKC in Ireland, the CKC in Canada.

Usually the breeder chooses the registered name, for a number of reasons. Some will let buyers choose a name but usually the breeder still files the registered names.

I coudn't file the registration myself with the IKC for Jaspar unless the breeder provided proof of his background. Usually the breeder registers the whole litter at the same time then sends on the registration papers to the new owners.

I have no idea what my dog is without getting out his papers!

TBH, as he's just a pet and I don't show, I've never paid much attention!!

My last dog was Toby of Clydesdale. Toby (sire's name) and Cydesdale was the name of the road he was born. The breeder chose it. The rest were named after Coronation Street characters, so my dog was lucky!!! :)

She actually let me choose Oliver's AKC name and then she filed it. So she is doing the same thing with Bentley so I need to pick his name.

I think Bruce also lets some owners choose names? I know some breeders do, for puppies that go to pet homes on limited registrations. Other breeders like to give names according to various themes or by alphabet (eg an 'H' litter' that will have 'H' names), related to the parents' names, etc.

When my parents got a pyrenees back in the 60s their breeder, the Rhodes, asked them what they would name her then they created her registered name around her call name. They called our puppy Lani so she was AKC Rhopyrs La Belle Lancelette. Only two decades later did I find out that Rhopyrs became one of the most respected names in the breed. :) They helped stabilise the breed in the US and initiated breed rescue in Calif etc. Very nice people who carefully homechecked prospective buyers like my folks! I'd love another pyrenees some day...

I will generally allow new owners who booked their puppy from me when they were very tiny to name their new baby, for example in my current litter Taylor was booked literally from birth and his new owner commented that she was "Over the Moon" to be finally getting her long awaited puppy, I thought this a good name and that is his KC name now! (y)

I like to register my pups at around 7-9 weeks of age in order to have the paperwork with me for when they leave, if a puppy is unsold by that age (I NEVER rush to sell my babies!) then I will name it myself.

As for the name "Send in the Clowns", cute!! How about "Harlequin Jester" or "Harlequin Surprise" as a back up?? Good Luck, am sure others will come up with more imaginative suggestions as well!!

I love "Send in the Clowns" as I do "Over the moon".

I got to pick Dylan, he's "Muffity My Baby Dylan". Muffity is the kennel name and My Baby is the line he is from. I went for singers names to please my kids! ie Bob Dylan though now my son swears he's named after Dylan Thomas, a little more sophisticated he thinks! :rolleyes:

I got to pick from a selection for Merlin as there were a few b&t males in his litter. As they were born on Valentines Day you can imagine how sloppy they all were! Snuggle Bunny was the best of the lot so Merls got that.

We didn't get a choice with Oakley as they litter was named after the flower fairies and the only boy in the litter (our Oakley) was destined for Ragged Ragwort Robin.

Back