• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What should I do??? Please help

Jessieca

What should I do?

We just got home. We were out for about 30 min, and Bailey was sleeping in his crate when I got home. After he walked out, I noticed his right eye kept shutting, and looked strange. The thin eyelids that are normally all the way open isn't open all the way on that eye either.

What should I do? I tried putting some water on it, and I don't see anything in or on his eye, but he keeps closing it. The other eye is wide open. When we were leaving he was clawing at the crate wanting to go with us, so we are wondering if maybe he scratched his eye, or maybe he got his fur in it and we aren't seeing it.

He hasn't whimpered or done anything to indicate pain, and has been running around playing. He did however paw at his eye a couple of times. Our vet is closed right now, but I know there are vet hospitals in the area.

Should we wait and see if it's just fur that comes out, or should we take him to the emergency vet? Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
its sounds like the 3rd eyelid .....don't panic sit with him normal for a while it should go back ....this sometimes happens whenn they wake up quickly

if its still looking odd in the morning see your vet

I was able to get a hold of my vet thankfully since his practice is besides his home. I really like this vet because some places just want to rip you off, and if it sounds like something minor, he tells me how to help it without coming in, and tells me what to watch for that would indicate I should bring him in.

He said it sounded like Bailey scratched his eye, and said to put saline drops in it. He keeps completely closing that one eye now. He told me things to watch for (like there may be a little bit of a bluish area where the scratch was, and mentioned baby aspirin if this starts happening), but said for now, the saline solution should be fine. I also told him Bailey tends to sleep with his eyes partially open, and that can cause drying. Do any of your cavaliers do that?

Anyway...sorry for over worrying lol. We are going to go get saline drops now.

no probs keep using the saline ..it may be nothing it can drop just by waking up to fast or a bit of dust gets in x

Sometimes Hogan sleeps with his eyes a bit open, and they do tend to get a bit dry. Sending prayers you way for a quick "return to normal" ;)

Oh that would have given me a fright too. Eyes are something to take no chances with. How is he now?

He seems WAY better today. I am wondering if something was in his eye and we just didn't see it. The drops seemed to have flushed out whatever it was.

Back