• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about hot weather and dogs

Battie4

I was just wondering it has been much hotter and way more humid than normal here in San Diego, and I noticed that since its been very hot and such Waffles is hardly eating at all and she sleep s alot more now cause of the heat. I was just wondering if this was normal? Shes still active but we cant go to the park or take long walks now cause of the heat cause after 10-15 minutes outside its almost unbearable for he rand she just wants to lie in the grass

Jon Chang

Bailey was doing this earlier in the summer when it was much hotter. We took him out for walks later in the evening or early in the morning when it was cool, and also put ice cubes in his water, which he loved :) I'm not sure if all dogs do it, but he definitely ate less when it was super hot.

I live in San Diego too....the weather has been awful! We just installed A/C for which we are thoroughly happy! So mine spend most of the day inside. I think dogs are like people, when it gets too hot, they just want to kick back and take it easy too! I would not put ice cubes in the water though, there have been stories about dogs getting "bloat" from ice water. An occasional ice cube is ok, but water should be at room tempreture.
J.

Jay thanks for posting this, I had no idea! On the hottest days, probably five or six days this summer, we would put two in it because the water would get so hot so fast. The ice cubes melted within minutes. Thanks though, I will keep this in mind next summer.

Jay and Jon - isn't our weather horrible??!!! I know when I tell others (in the South!!) about our heat they just tell me I have no idea. But it has just been incredibly hot the last week or two. Jon, Jake and Shelby are way more lazy than unsual with the heat. We play ball indoors more and don't walk much. It's just too hot!! But, today I was looking for Shelby, she wasn't in my office like usual....silly girl was laying on that burning hot patio soaking up the sun. Crazy California girl!!

yeah when I tell my other friends tha tlive in other countries or somewhere thats its like 85 degrees and blistering hot they all hate me haha. But the weather is unusually hot compared to normal

So where do you guys Jay and Cathy live in the San Diego area?

:D :D Charly, we hear that all of the time!!:D

The problem is when you aren't used to this kind of weather, it really feels unbearable.

Jon, I'm in the La Jolla/UTC/Clairemont area. Thank goodness we don't live inland. My inlaws are in Alpine and it was 102 there yesterday.

o wow I guess we live really close to each other! I live in the UTC/La Jolla area too. I live right next to the Vons and Doyle park

Well.....we're going to have to plan a meet up at Doyle!!! We used to go up all of the time but now do more walking and beach trips, but we always love an evening at the dog park. Let me know the next time you're headed up there and we'll meet you there!!

I live in San Diego too....the weather has been awful! We just installed A/C for which we are thoroughly happy! So mine spend most of the day inside. I think dogs are like people, when it gets too hot, they just want to kick back and take it easy too! I would not put ice cubes in the water though, there have been stories about dogs getting "bloat" from ice water. An occasional ice cube is ok, but water should be at room tempreture.
J.

Wow, you just installed A/C. It's been 90 or better here for the past month or so. Rarely making it into the upper 80's. You HAVE to have A/C here . Sorry it's so hot there, I know you all aren't used to the heat, but a very nice comfortable climate. I've always wanted to visit San Diego, maybe one year, hopefully the weather will be back to normal...LOL.

I live near London and it sure isn't hot here! Hasn't been all summer... Don't know anything about those sort of problems!;)

I live near London and it sure isn't hot here! Hasn't been all summer... Don't know anything about those sort of problems!;)

I'm in the Midlands UK and have to say "Summer? What's that?" we had a real nice one last year, and nothing much this year, OK it's been dryer recently but not very many nice HOT days at all!

So all you moaning about being too hot, care to swap with us who are moaning about being too cold?? :lol:

Dogs, like any other animals, need to be cared for carefully in any sort of extreme weather. This is particularly true if there has been a sudden change in the weather. So if Waffles seems comfortable just quieter than usual he's probably okay. If on the other hand, he's acting distressed in any way than he could be suffering from either heat stroke or heat exhaustion and needs to be seen by the vet. Personally, I would err on the side of caution and make a quicky vet visit.

The good news for us in Miami and California is that this heat and humidity will soon abate. While for ya'll in Ireland and the UK apparently it is pretty much always cold and/or wet.

It's been very hot in Minnesota as well. We've been doing indoor playgroups offered at various locations around town. It's a great option when it's either too hot or too cold; the dogs love the variety!

Pauline, I am in Essex, in Colchester! :dogwlk:

Sorry, I didn't see your reply till now. My sister and a few friends of mine live in Colchester, I'm there quite often. My sister lives opposite the recreation ground by the Church. Anyone else live near us? We could have a walk in Castle park.

Jon, it has defintely gotten hotter, I think we need to thank global warming. The heat's going to stay through end of Sept I think for the indian summer. Mission Viejo has been the same and I definitely don't take Ginger out during the day. It just exhausts her too much.

Just be sure there is always plenty of water for Waffles. Are you coming to the reunion? I miss seeing Waffles. I saw her when she was only 5 weeks I think. She is so so adorable.

Back