PDA

View Full Version : ****warning****



charly
3rd September 2007, 04:42 AM
some people may already know this ,but for those who dont. i gave my dog (charly) a raw hide bone 3 weeks ago,i used to give them as a treat he loves them munching for ages on them.i was in bed and i heard this horrible noise like i jumped up and there he was choking on the bone it has un ravelled and was half way down his neck,i started to pull it out and to my horror nearly the whole bone was stuck down his throat.thank god it came out in one big piece and didnt break off.needless to say he doesnt get them anymore.if i hadnt been there or heard him,my little man and best friend wouldnt be here anymore just because i gave him a treat. so please think about this next time you give your dog a RAWHIDE BONE .thanks for reading sorry about any misspellings etc im not computer friendly ......:razz:

Karlin
3rd September 2007, 11:37 AM
:yikes That is really scary! I am so glad he is OK and that you were there to save him.

I don't give those tied bones or any of the rawhide treats that can come apart into small pieces or those laced rawhide shoes. The only rawhide I now give is the flat rectangular sheets as they really only gnaw ans scrape at those. When they get small I throw them out. I think they are the safest of all the rawhide treats. Mine all do like to chew on rawhide but I think many treats can be potentially dangerous and your story just confirms that!

Lynn
3rd September 2007, 11:59 AM
Thank God Charly is ok and you were there to save him!!!!

I'm glad you shared your story....a good reminder to us all.

Caraline
3rd September 2007, 12:19 PM
Oh my goodness. That could have ended in tragedy. Yeah I am a bit scared of those rawhides, so I don't give them to my dogs. I used to and they loved them but I'm just a bit freaked out by some of the stories I've heard.

Thanks for reminding us to be careful.

jennifer
3rd September 2007, 02:58 PM
OMG that is scary. I am so glad he is ok. You must have been so scared waking up to that. Again thank the lord that he is fine now.

Barbara Nixon
3rd September 2007, 05:12 PM
I stopped giving hide chews, except for munch sticks or tight rolled cigars, ages ago, after Monty, my big lad swallowed a soggy piece which made him vomit all night, before he could sick it up.

Cathy T
3rd September 2007, 05:13 PM
Thank goodness Charly is okay! Must have scared you to death. Jake was choking on a piece of jerky and I had to do the same thing. So much of it was already down his throat.

Baldyboy
3rd September 2007, 05:44 PM
So glad to hear Charley is ok.

On a separate note, but sort of related, Baldrick woke us up being sick a couple of nights ago. He had raided the Kitchen bin, and stolen the string mesh that was wrapped round our Roast Beef joint. Virtually inhaled it down before I could stop him. We now know to empty the bins of anything tempting straight away, rather than leaving the bins to fill up before emptying.

alevrob
3rd September 2007, 06:27 PM
PHEW what a relief for you to be there to help charley pleased he is O.K
Smudge, fortunately isnt in the least bit interested in chewing rawhide.I tried various shapes as most dogs seem to like them but he turned his nose up not even wanting to play with them. I will not bother anymore trying him with a new shape.
alevrob

JeanKC
4th September 2007, 02:29 PM
Responding so this gets back to the top of the board!

ANY of the chew treats scare me, and ours don't get them unless we're willing to sit there with them on our laps holding one end of whatever it is.

Some dogs don't/won't eat the rawhide. Beauregard is one of those. I suspect his overbite is such that he literally CAN'T eat it... but he'll slobber/suck/gnaw on one until it's a big nasty glob of goo. When I saw his, that was it.

KC

Ginger's Mom
7th September 2007, 08:41 PM
What a relief! I'm glad to know he is okay. Thanks for sharing this with us -I'll watch out too.