PDA

View Full Version : rentable pets

Karlin
3rd September 2007, 09:25 PM
Maybe someone posted this already but in case not:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/23/technology/rent_pooch.biz2/index.htm?postversion=2007082407

What do you think of that?

AT
3rd September 2007, 09:28 PM
Not quite as bad as the website i've seen offering "puppy party's " for kids . If your kids having a birthday etc they bring a selection of puppies for the kids to " play" with for a couple of hours

Gem
3rd September 2007, 09:29 PM
how strange, how would you ever be able to give them back??

pinkpuppy
3rd September 2007, 11:26 PM
I was just thinking about this business today. Guess I'm a bit slow.

casshon
4th September 2007, 08:25 AM
This has to have some sort of negative emotional impact on the dogs. I know with my lot - Molly especially, they don't like their schedule changing. So going to stay with different people every day must be upsetting.

misty
4th September 2007, 10:17 AM
I don't like this idea at all.

If people are desperate for doggy contact, why not go to the local shelter and help exercise the dogs?

Scouty girl
4th September 2007, 12:42 PM
Not quite as bad as the website i've seen offering "puppy party's " for kids . If your kids having a birthday etc they bring a selection of puppies for the kids to " play" with for a couple of hours

OMG!! I think that's an absolutely horrible idea!! Poor little puppies.

Rent a Pet. what a terrible idea. How can you have a dog living in your home with you for a month or so and give it back. Never. Talk about confusion.

Sue.k
4th September 2007, 01:05 PM
I think its terrible, the poor dogs would be so confused, never having a forever home :(

KingstonsMom
4th September 2007, 05:33 PM

I passed by Petland the other day and saw a big banner advertising the hosting of kids' birthday parties. What a disgusting way to make money! Not to mention, I went inside one day and saw a little tri-color Cavalier with the snuffles. Broke my heart...

pinkpuppy
4th September 2007, 06:00 PM
Sorry ppl. I don't want to be flamed for my remark. Just thinking it was so difficult to buy or adopt a rescue. I was thinking it would be a way to educate ppl on the individual breeds. Perhaps enlighten them in a way so they don't make a mistake acquiring a dog they will eventually give up to rescue. I was thinking a small scale operation like having a few adult rescue dogs not actually for rent. More like dog sitting overnight? I don't know what I was thinking. Please accept my apologies for upsetting all here on the board.:(

pinkpuppy
4th September 2007, 06:14 PM
Okay... I just spoke to my husband. I am really shamefaced and he explained why this is so wrong. Just want to reiterate I am very sorry for even thinking about this now.
Huge apology to the forum.

Ginger's Mom
7th September 2007, 07:36 PM
It may be a good idea for humans, but definitely not for the dogs. Dogs need a place that they can permanently call home. Not this. I don't support this at all.

elaine181000
7th September 2007, 07:52 PM
I just keep thinking, what's next? People renting out kids because they don't want the commitment of having them full time, so just take them out on a Saturday afternoon?! I agree with the poster who suggested volunteering at a shelter. A much better idea and one that benefits everyone concerned, furry or otherwise.

Battie4
8th September 2007, 05:46 AM
It can be good or bad i guess. I mean this could help a lot of families that are looking to get pets to see if their kid willa ctually take care of the pet. Its kind of a trial for the kid if they want to take care of a pet to first see if they actually can, cause Im sure that will help a lot of parent decide for their kids whether to actually buy a dog cause Im sure everyone knows a family who bought a puppy for their kid but 6 months later the pup is being sent away or something. So i dunno it could be a good idea or a horrible idea

Caraline
8th September 2007, 08:37 AM
Just another disgusting example of man's exploitation of the little creatures. I sometimes feel ashamed to be a part of the human race. :mad: