• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pocket Cavalier

Jenny37

Hi all, I am a pet groomer by trade and just when you think that you have heard it all...

I was on a pet groomer website, one of the girls from Florida has a mobile grooming business. Well for the last 2 years, she has groomed tri-cavalier that this doctor and his wife had. They kept him outside all of the time, tied up in the hot Florida sun. Kristen, the groomer, would talk to them endlessly about their dog and how Cavaliers are not meant to be outside dogs! Plus they liked to get the dog shaved down and she would talk to them again about him getting a sunburn and all of the damage associated with that.

Well, they called her and asked her if they wanted the tri. She immediatly said yes, b/c of these horrible conditions.

The reason they wanted to get rid of the tri, was b/c the wife had just gotten a Pocket Cavalier for $5,000.00 overseas!!!

Who knows what kind of health problem this supposedly new type of Cavalier has. But if she is naive enough to throw down $5000.00 who knows how she will treat this new animal or what she will replace it with in a couple of years!

By the way Kristen and her family, renamed the tri Darby and he is just in dog heaven at her house. He will know be living the life he was meant to live!!!

Boy the phrase 'a sucker born every minute' comes to mind. There's no such thing as a 'pocket cavalier' as you rightly guess, and someone just suckered them out of some very serious money. You can find undersized cavaliers of poor stock on the internet in the US too and a lot cheaper if you want to do something as foolish as buying a dog bred from other undersized dogs, often the litter runts. :(

At least that poor dog they did have is now going to get a proper life.

If they leave that 'pocket' one in the sun as well tell the woman to call the SPCA or whatever shelter manages such situations in her area -- that's definitely not considered adequate care -- even the most basic welfare laws will specify food, water and *shelter* as necessities.

I am so glad he's with her in her house now! :) At least that is one happy ending. :rah:

OMG this is a SHOCKING story!!!!!!! I'd like to tie those owners up in the hot sun and let them bake for a few centuries....

That's horrible!! I'm so glad Kristen and her family now have Darby. They just were flat out wrong by treating the dog like that. And now they're going to get another :bang: how aggravating!!

Wow! All I want to be is a responsible loving companion like many here who may have a family with kids. I just don't understand how these ppl are able to adopt a pedigree even? Totally confused...

I just don't understand how these ppl are able to adopt a pedigree even?

Because they are not buying from a responsible breeder who cares about where their puppy ends up. Anyone can buy a Cavalier off the internet or through a newspaper ad. You are looking to purchase a pet who will have the best chances of having a long and healthy life with you and your family. You are doing the right thing and it does take time.

Out of curiosity, I googled "pocket cavalier" and found the term applied to cav pups being bred in the US. In fact, one of the hits came back to a kennel that is proclaiming they have "rare" all black pocket cavaliers. The claim is a 6 week old one pound puppy, which was the result of breeding two 8 lb adults.

I wonder what small black dog these pups are really crossed with?

While discussing these tiny tiny dogs, named 'teacups', a vet commented that this inbreeding of small with small was bound to lead to health problems. In fact, the lady who bred Joly and Teddy, was going to keep a pretty bitch, to show, but her vet advised her against it, as she would be too slight for breeding and this was a fairly normal sized puppy, though small considering her parentage.

agree has health probs written all over it

LIke Claire R says a 2 lb brain in a 1lb box :(

OMG!! It just never stops does it, the total insanity of some people to have the most "fashionable" item be it chanel Sunglasses as worn by whichever movie star or a pup that has been "bred down" in this way! :bang:

As others have said at least Darby is now out of that situation and is leading a happy, normal and fulfillling life that is his basic right!!!

When I was at the UW Madison, there was a lady there with her pocket pom-- she was 4 years old and dying. She already had an order with another breeder for another miniature pom-- but this lady was upset that the breeder wouldn't guarantee the dog wouldn't get bigger than 4 pounds.
SOME PEOPLE NEVER LEARN!

The last time I saw my breeder berfore he passed away this year was about a year or two ago at the Irish national dog show. We were watching the cavaliers and he was pointing out the different people and their dogs. One was really tiny -- he immediately expressed dismay that such a dog was even allowed to be shown as it was under breed standard and he felt was too small to breed -- the obvious thing you'd be doing with a show dog -- he thought it the height of irresponsibility on the part of the breeder.

As a small breed becomes popular unfortunately there are those who will start to breed the undersized dogs to produce tinier versions for an uneducated market that thinks it is getting something special rather than something with serious health risks and that isn't even 'the breed' per se. If you check out some of those 'teacup' or 'pocket' sites you will see dogs that only vaguely even look like cavaliers -- they often look suspiciously like there's some terrier or chihuahua other small breed and they certainly are usually all wrong around the head... really poor breed conformation.

It just is enfuriating.

Could I go back in the mists of time in the History of the Cavalier Breed.

Miss Neal ,in the 1940's mated a Pocket Cocker Spaniel with a King Charles Spaniel and a Cavalier

The following Generations looked like the the old ANN's SON type Spaniel

Miss Neal mentioned she had 7 generations of minature spaniels ,which she out-crossed with King charles Spaniel ,some resulting in a sturdy body with a a Cavalier type head

She also mentions that she believes Old English and Norfolk Spaniels were also used in those early days

This information can be found in the Book ,The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel ,written by Bruce Field

Ive also seen photos of those Dogs mentioned by Miss Neal

Bet

Pocket Cavliers? Never heard of that. That's horrible. I feel bad for the conditions that Darby was in before and I also feel bad for the pocket cavalier that was born by some uncaring person (or people)'s greed. I'm glad that Darby is in a good place now and that he will live the rest of his life very happily under the best care.

Back