• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

tips on entertaining please

charly

i got a my new pup on monday her name is poppy shes ruby and adorable :l*v: we all went to the vet on tuesday as charly needed his booster.anyhoo all is great with poppy and charly but the vet said i it would be better not to walk charly for the 3 weeks untill poppy has all her injections and is safe . i dont mind that at all but charly is not impressed i walk him everyday along the boyne and suddenly that has stopped so i need some tip opn how to enterain him for 3 weeks before he goes off his head thanks in advance :w**h**:

You definitely cannot walk him nor should you allow him around other potentially unvaccinated (eg unknown) dogs-- he is not immune yet to parvo or distemper until 2 weeks after the last injection. This is really crucial -- he may have no protection at all against these lethal diseases and the virus can live in the open -- on concrete, in grass -- for up to six months. It is very hardy and a major iller of puppies with their weak immune systems. :(

In general a puppy should not be walked much anyway til over 6 months. Before then you risk damaging developing joints and bones. Never more than brief, 10-15 minute walks or so, until around 6-9 months. No hard long hikes, no agility til a year to 18 months. (y)

There's plenty you can do with a puppy -- they don;t need walks for exercise when this young. They will play themsleves into exhaustion. Just playing inside or in a protected garden will be more than enough exercise. Try throwing a ball or small toy. Don;t run around with a tiny puppy though or let kids do this -- very easy to step on a darting puppy.

Our Cavalier is 14 weeks this weekend. She goes for little walks about 10 minutes. But as Karlin said, she pretty much occupies herself into tiredness. Chewing, chasing the cats (they now sit on the glass table - they can see exactly what she is doing but she can't get them LOL) - don't worry I don't leave them alone, playing with a ball, running from room to room. 1 hour later she is out for the count and even the vacuum doesn't wake her for about 2 - 3 hours and then off again. And she has the odd cracker dog session for about 10 minutes galloping round the house as fast as she can, ears flapping, skidding on the kitchen floor, round the sofa and back again!!! So funny to watch. Or take her out but carry her so she gets used to the sights and sounds of the outside world.

thanks karlin we are all shuffling around in our socks in case we stand on her shes fine spolit already its charly my one year old whose bored we play the sock game.....thanks for advice on walking poppy when shes older i didnt know that :rah:

Back