• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The white patch

freesia

We have been told that Barney will lose the white flash on his chest. It does seem to be a little less now, anyone know if it will go completely plz?

Seems to be going. Looked a bit more when he was younger.
547192758_e465829e6e.jpg

1107801986_3babed1e2e.jpg

The lady who bred Teddy and Joly mated a ruby with a tricolour and of the two black and tans in the litter , one had a small flash on his chest and the other a white blob on his forhead. Both were quite small ares but didn't disappear.

Would of been nice to show him, the only pup without the white had gone 10 mins before we got there. But no matter what I love our Barney to bits even if he drives us to distraction at times :D

He's SOOOO CUTE! LOVE the B/Ts@!@ :)

I think they may get smaller, but not disappear.

Here's Faith @ 10wks:

b73561479.jpg

And here she is @ 10 months:

b105936259.jpg

Hope it helps :)

But I like Barney's white patch! It makes him special. I understand that it will eliminate him from comformation competition, but it does nothing to lessen his basic ability to be loving companion to you for his entire life.

BTW - I love Faith's white stripe, too!

Aww, she is a little cutie, her ears are really long. :D

Was in two minds to get him nuetered, if I thought the white would go, I wouldn't get him done, because they don't allow nuetered dogs to be shown.

Met up with a lady who has kept cavaliers for 30 + years, and she is a retired judge. She was very impressed with him and said the white would go. Think I will hang on a few more months and see what happens. If the white stays, so be it, it gives them a bit more character.:D Barney is 6 months old.:D

thanks for the compliments guys :) Faith's stripe is way bigger, but I think it gives her personality. I think Barney is just adorable :)

If I were you I would honestly speak with a few judges or breeders around your area and see what they say about the white stripe - I am not by any means experienced in the show world, but I would think if his confirmation, temperment, hawks, etc are good, the white flash may not be that gigantic of a deal. Maybe a few breeders on this board will chime in on that :eek:

I'm showing my girl who isn't marked perfectly but is very conformationally strong, and has an awesome personality for the show ring. She is missing the full white blaze they look for on a tri-colour. Hers is there, but its really thin. As she is getting older its actually growing up, and somewhat thickening. I think she may actually have a blaze by the time her coat fully comes in. Markings tend to be the icing on the cake so to speak.

I've seen many Ruby's and Black and Tan's that have white on their chest be shown and have done well. Many are actually finished champions within the CKC. Check with some breeders within your region and see what they have to say. If everything else is really strong, go ahead and show him and have some fun!

Thank you, There is a show coming up at the weekend, they are doing the gundogs and toy breeds on Sunday, so I think I will go and have a look. Pity I cannot take Barney though. They only allow the dogs that are being shown. As it's one of the championship shows I will get a good idea of what the norm is.:)

you could always try entering him in the "fun shows" we get quite a few by us at places raising money for local dogs homes etc. They are alot more relaxed and would give you a bit of an idea if how he'd be in a more formal show

Hi!

The white coat will always be there but over the course of time the tan and the black coat will become denser and it will be less obvious to see unless you really look for it!
Markings are quite simply that, markings, they do not affect the health of the dog etc, just means that they cannot be shown.

I thought a patch of white was allowable in a wholecolour at a pinch? When my breeders brought Amber over, they commented that they'd have kept her (presumably for showing) if it wasn't for the white mini-blaze on her face since a bit of white on the chest was ok. Although actually I don't think she'd be suitable for the show ring- her nose is a tad too short, she has a tiny underbite...and the white. Then again, maybe just looks so in comparison to Holly. On the plus side, Amber has gorgeous movement, is perfectly proportioned, has a long neck (read somewhere that this is liked in cavs) and bubbly personality a plenty.

But it's all academic anyway!!

Back