• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Long walks

Jen

Curious to see how long some of you walk your dogs. There is a wooded, two mile trail by our house that we frequent. Although both Abbey and Gus do not seem winded afterwards, I've had a few people comment that 2-miles seems too long for small dogs. We have water and treats with us, and most of the walk is slow--lots of sniffing and checking things out, so it's not like we're clipping along at a fast pace by any means.

Last edited:
We can comfortably do 2 miles is pleasant weather. I always carry water and we've never had a problem.

The most i've done with my dogs was 9 miles , One of them being 12 at the time with a heart murmer. They would have happilly gone further.

I took mine for a 5 minute walk the other day & someone commented that I'd have to be carrying them home. As if little dogs can't walk. They have legs & will use them as long as they are able.

I've easily done that before and if anything, small dogs are far more able for long distances than many large breed dogs, which have large joints.

When I was in South Africa a couple years ago my friend and I went riding with a guide (the most beautiful day!) and the guide's four JRTs accompanied us for the whole two hour ride. And not just accompanied -- they'd run and run, off after smells and sights then come back then run again, so whatever the horses covered in that time, a good few miles there and back, those little spitfires covered four times the distance.

Remember many small breed dogs like terriers and it is also believed cavaliers may have accompanied hunters for long rides too. I wouldn;t take the dogs for a daily 10 mile hike but should say they'd be easily able for several miles a day without a bother.

I always think that being on 4 legs their weight is distributed better & more naturally than a human so in theory they shouldn't get as tired

I walked 3 mi the other day with Bailey, and he seemed to be getting tired towards the end of the walk. I think it probably depends on the dog, and the level of exercise they are used to also.

My 8 month old Mika would walk and run for ever, but my addition to the family Merrilegs is 11 months and not used to walking, but we,ll soon have her as fit as a butchers dog!

My 6 year old Blenheim gets 3 miles every day.Is that too much?He seems to have great fun but will spend the rest of the day snoozing and snoring.

i bring freddie and molly walking with me all the time and we could go for anything up to 5 miles and they love it!

Back