• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jewel isn't feeling well

jewel

I am hoping someone can help me out here. My little ruby isn't feeling well right now. We think she might have ate something out in the garden that is affecting her right now. She hasn't had a bowel movement since Friday and she isn't her self right now. She has been hiding in her crate or under a chair alot the last couple days. Yesterday my girlfriend picked her up and she let out a scream that something is bothering her right now somewhere. Her legs and back didn't seem to bother her when we felt around. I am just wondering if someone out there might have run into this problem in the past. Jewel was taken to the vet this morning and we are just waiting to hear from them.

My b-i-l and s-i-l have a pup I bred. This happened to them this past week. The 9 month old pup had an anal gland rupture Saturday. She was hiding and would cry if they picked her up.

A trip to the vet would be my first call
Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

The right thing was definitely to get her to the vet. (y) Any time an animal shows pain the top priority should be to get it to a vet, and this is always a good idea if you think it may have eaten something risky as a garden is often full of poisonous plants, snail bait, etc... also if this is any kind of bowel blockage the dog can be showing pain -- and a blockage could be a very serious emergency situation if she has swallowed something that is stuck, or if the bowel is folded in on itself. Four days is a long while for a dog not to have had a single bowel movement. A vet needs to assess a situation like this when it has not quickly resolved itself. :xfngr:

Let us know what you heard back.

everything is Ok

jewel is doing Ok... The vet said she has some inflammation around her back. That is where the pain was coming from. We think her and our cocker spaniel must have played alittle rough and he doesn't realize how big he is. He also said that her bowels were empty so she must have been going to the bathroom somewhere and we must have missed it. Hopefully not in a secret place in the house and we haven't discovered it yet. The vet gave her a shot and she was doing great last night. She was alittle sore this morning but we will continue to give her medication and hopefully everything will be Ok.

Thanks great! Hope that jewels gets better soon :flwr: and i really hope that she has no secret like toilet place!:eek:

jewel is doing Ok... The vet said she has some inflammation around her back. That is where the pain was coming from. We think her and our cocker spaniel must have played alittle rough and he doesn't realize how big he is. He also said that her bowels were empty so she must have been going to the bathroom somewhere and we must have missed it. Hopefully not in a secret place in the house and we haven't discovered it yet. The vet gave her a shot and she was doing great last night. She was alittle sore this morning but we will continue to give her medication and hopefully everything will be Ok.
So glad to hear she's better. :flwr::flwr::flwr:

Years ago, I had a little dog with a bad back, and the vet told me not to let her jump on and off furniture. As long as she didn't jump, she was fine. Did your vet mention that?

Jewel-

I just had this exact same situation last week. We also went to the vets and he determined that he had pulled something right where the spine connects to the pelvic bone. We also got medication and were told to limit activity. A week later, we are much better. Hope Jewel has a quick recovery too!

driving me nuts

I have no idea what the doctor gave her that day at the vet but she is acting like a hurricane. I haven't seen her this excited in a long time. I got my baby back and she is happy. The vet told us to limit her activity but that is like trying to rope a wild bull. All she wants to do is play and chase the ball. I feel bad because I can't do it just yet. We are taking them on vacation this week so hopefully she will relax the entire time. Thanks to everyone that wrote to me.

I am glad to hear that she is okay. I was a bit worried when I read your first post (especially about the possible lack of poops), but all's well that ends well. :)

Back