• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Black and white Cav?

sallymum

Can u get a black and white cav. Seen one on a site today, supposed to be IKC reg. Didnt think there was this colour. Just curious. :confused:

I've seen one too on one of the Cavalier meet-ups. A sweet fella. I suppose it is abnormal, not sure what combination can cause that. I'm sure the experts in the forum has the answers. Are you saying that you're wantingn a black and white Cavalier or just asking possibility?

I've seen one too on one of the Cavalier meet-ups. A sweet fella. I suppose it is abnormal, not sure what combination can cause that. I'm sure the experts in the forum has the answers. Are you saying that you're wantingn a black and white Cavalier or just asking possibility?

No i dont want one. I have enough at the moment i am going to stick to fostering for a while. Just curious about the colour.:)

Ginger is a tri-color with very little brown. People often stop me and say "wow Ive never seen a black and white cav before". Shes got 1 brown eyebrow and the only other brown on her is under her ears!
I think it may just be in the markings....some rubys & b/t's have white chests and feet...Ive seen some heavily marked tris mostly black with little white.

I read somewhere, that the constant breeding of tri to tri reduces the amount of tan, so Blenheims are introduced to compensate for this. There were black and whites once, as there were all blacks, but they were rejected for the breed standard. There is a line, in the USA which produces liver instead of black on tricolours.

There is a line, in the USA which produces liver instead of black on tricolours.

If you have the link to a Website- Id love to see that~ The genetics of color really facinates me. ;)

People may term it black and white but usually it is simply tricolour (unless you have seen an actual picture). I see blenheims called red and white and brown and white all the time, and tricolurs often get called black and white. A badly mismarked dog could simply be missing the brown but if it just says 'black and white' they almost certainly mean a tricolour. Tells you a lot about the type of breeder if they cannot even call their dogs by the proper term... the IKC puppy gazette is full of registered breeders calling theit puppies by the wrong colours. :mad: A reminder that finding a good breeder involves a lot more than just the club registration!

BTW I have read that tricolours with a lot of white also have the least tan colouring. Heavily marked tris (eg very black) apparently usually have a lot of tan.

We saw a black and white cavalier once at Ohio State University vet hospital. The cavalier had absolutely no tan, and was larger than most cavaliers I've seen. The couple who owned him also had a large blenheim. I think they came from Mississippi or Louisiana.

Ive found one they also call it a black and white tri with no tan lol

Last edited:
As the photo is on the site of a breeder who sells over the net, I'm not sure that Karlin would want the link posted.

I got a pup a few month ago.
Her name is Oreo... she is a Black and White...
No brown markings at all...

Parents are: Female is a tri color and Male is a Blehm...

Igor

Back