PDA

View Full Version : Change puppy food to adult

vivitig
11th September 2007, 11:34 AM
Hi everyone!!

When do we stop feeding puppy food and start adult??

I'm feding BARF for the past months but i have Orijen food left. If adult time is comming i have to consume it:)

sallymum
11th September 2007, 11:35 AM
i have never feed puppy always adult

vivitig
11th September 2007, 11:37 AM
Sorry, i should have posted this in "Health and Diet".
Karlin, if you want, "take me to the right place":rolleyes:

vivitig
11th September 2007, 11:41 AM
Really??? Why???

Puppy foods are high protein, and that's what puppies need in their develpment.

:confused::confused:

coconut
11th September 2007, 12:05 PM
i feed my puppies puppy food and there is nothing wrong with them! i will start feeding them adult food when they are 1 yr old!

Bruce H
11th September 2007, 01:01 PM
There's been a lot of discussion (sometimes heated) by breeders on this subject, both for and against feeding puppy food. I would suggest feeding what your breeder recommends. We suggest to our puppy people to feed puppy food until 6 months or so and then gradually transition to adult.

vivitig
11th September 2007, 01:27 PM
If anyone can, pls write a link of this discusion. Cause if i start searching now, i'll finish after Fivos becomes an adult :sl*p:

sallymum
11th September 2007, 02:29 PM
Sorry i just reread my post it sounded like i was telling people not to feed puppy food. I was trying to say i never feed them puppy food. Only because of what i seen on previous posts. Sorry again.:razz:

shippers
11th September 2007, 07:06 PM
I fed Sally puppy James Wellbeloved until 6 months old and now she is on James Wellbeloved Junior. Once she reaches a year old I'll swap her to adult. I'm not sure what is best but I thought it can't do any harm feeding puppy food. I also thought the kibble in adult food may be too large for a young puppy. It is annoying though that puppy food is never on offer!

Jessieca
11th September 2007, 07:07 PM
We started introducing adult food into Bailey's meals at about 11.5 months old.

Cathy Moon
12th September 2007, 03:28 AM
If anyone can, pls write a link of this discusion. Cause if i start searching now, i'll finish after Fivos becomes an adult :sl*p:
:lol: I searched for a heated discussion but couldn't find one! I think some of the older threads have been archived.

I used to be all confused about what to feed mine when they were puppies. :huh: The breeder said to feed them adult food, and the vet said to feed them puppy food! :lpy: So sometimes we mixed half puppy and half adult. Then I found out as long as it's a high quality food, you can feed adult food to a puppy. :)

Bruce H
12th September 2007, 01:07 PM
It seems to me there were some discussions on here (or maybe the other board), but what I was refering to were more disscussions between breeders at shows both Kris and I have been to.

Again, I usually recommend following what the breeder recommends, even if I happen to disagree with it. Sometimes the less than stellar breeders will refuse to honor a puppy gaurantee it you do not follow their instructions to the letter.