• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier made it to 16 years old!

cavi lover

I met a lady today while out with my cavi gang who has just had her 16yr old cavi pts.

Isn't that amazing! The dog was called Rosie and Sylvia [her mum] said she had had a very good quality of life up till the last 3mths.

It gives hope to us all that given all the potential health worries we have with our cavaliers that a little ruby girl made it to 16!

Before Alansmere Aquarius won Supreme Champion at Crufts and the 'breeders ' cashed in, it was quite usual for cavaliers to reach their late teens.

The UK Cavalier Club is funding a scheme to encourage Cavalier owners to donate their pets to help research into heart disease & syringomyelia when they die ( the dogs are individually cremated after a post-mortem and the ashes returned to the owner, so they can choose their final resting place )

One of the cavaliers donated to us was a sweet little tricolour called Charlie who would have been 16 years old the month after she died. She was clear of murmur at her last vet check, had no symptoms of syringomyelia, and basically just grew so old & tottery that it was time to let her go.

Her Mum is missing her a lot but feels that something positive for other Cavaliers may come out of Charlie's death.

Best wishes,

Margaret C

Margaret is there a link? I'd be happy to put up something permanently about this scheme. :)

Margaret is there a link? I'd be happy to put up something permanently about this scheme. :)

Hello Karlin,

Information is available by going to the Cavalier Club home page http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html

Because of collection costs funding for this scheme is mainly limited to owners within a certain area around Cambridge Veterinary School.
Despite this we have already had a good response. Five cavaliers have been donated, ranging in age from a little thirteen week old puppy pts because of terrible heart problems to 16 year old Charlie.

One owner was so positive about the idea that she drove from Wales to Cambridge to deliver her little dog's body.

The Neurologists at Cambridge & Cardiologists at Edinburgh University have said how really valuable this scheme is to their research.

Best wishes,

Margaret C

First of all, :w*w: what an incredible age!!

Secondly, Margaret, I am glad to hear of a good uptake on this scheme already it can only help broaden knowledge in these two area's of such significence within our breed.

please read the poem :RAINBOW BRIDGE it offers great comfort in such loss. I found it to prepare for my Sherry when she passes - she is 14yrs so the day will come eventually

My breeder had a dog that she just pts that was almost 16 1/2 yrs old - I hope my little Miles has her genes!

Back