• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help please

quoman

Hi everyone, we picked up 8 week old Max on sunday our new little tri colour, we got him as a companion for Charlie our 7 month old blenheim. When we got charlie he was a real softie always rolling over onto his back to get his tummy rubbed, the exact opposite of Max. He will not stop biting everyone and he's causing charlies life a misery forever biting him and chasing him around while charlie spends all his time running away and trying to escape from him. When will Max calm down as he does seem a very bad tempered little puppy.

its souuds like puppy biting playful biting ........all you can do really is be stern in your voise when he nips NO MAX

its very early days it should calm down he sounds over excited

Thanks for that, I know we will be able to calm him down, I'm just a bit worried for charlie as he's always been a very submissive dog with other dogs and feel he's more scared now and won't adapt to max being here with us, we want charlie to be a bit more assertive before max gives him a nasty nip however good meaning it is as that just makes him more wary of him ?

I don't think it's bad temper; just a more dominant character.

Monty was always placid and when we got Izzy as a companion (Monty was nearly two ), I often wondered whether we had done the right thing, as the new addition nevr gave poor Monty any peace, frequently swinging on his tail or pulling and chewing his ears.

Izzy eventually calmed down and we have added two others since, but Monty has always stayed the underdog. He's the one who comes for fuss last and lets anyone steal his food. However, I think he'd prefer that to being an only dog. When we had just two dogs and Izzy was away from home, he wouldn't settle until his companion was back.

You might want to consider using an x-pen or a crate to put Max in sometimes. Or baby gate a room for Max. This will provide a welcome break for Charlie.

Congrats on your new puppy!

Poor Charlie. Puppies love to play with older dogs. For some reason they always go for the ears. You just have to keep correcting little Max. Don't let me hurt Charlie, but then on the other hand they have to work it out. Hopefully Charlie will put Max 'in his place'. Puppies are hard headed it will take a while for this to work it out. Scout, at 17 months, still jumps at Breeze's head when she wants to play.

I have a neighbor who has a two year old mixed terrier, they just bought another dog that looks just like her. Unfortunately these people aren't very proactive and I see the puppy hanging off the bigger dogs lip. I don't care for that at all. It looks so cruel. I would correct Scout if she got too rough. Of course Breeze can take a lot because of her size compared to Scout, and she could easily get away.

Just be consistent with Max, that's the key. A bit of rough play is to be expected, but to let it carry on to the point where Charlie looks miserable isn't fair and that's when you step in with a firm "no" to Max and then offer him a toy or chew to play with--that's another important thing--to always redirect him with something else.
Charlie may surprise you and finally step up after having enough of Max, and that's alright--perfectly natural for an older dog to reprimand a pup. If/when he does this, praise him to let him know that what he did was good.
Our Abbey is shy and somewhat submissive, but after a few weeks with Gus hanging off of her ears and tail she snapped, and we were so excited! She now corrects him all the time, but being he's a Terrier, he has a lot more energy than her and can be very annoying to her. If she doesn't correct him, we do by redirecting him.

Back