• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

At the vets again

AT

I've been to the vets this morning because our blen girl was really struggling with her breathing last night. She had a grade 5 murmer when we got her last year but it hasn't bothered her until the last few days. They've given her fruise & benazecare?

She was sick in the car there & back & is now sat in the garden , She doesn't look very well bless her

I also took my Tri king charles for an update. Her front legs are very weak so they had put her on rymadill two weeks ago. Though she is much much happier on the rymadil it had made no difference to her limp.

The vet suggested she might have SM which I had not thought of to be honest. She does scratch her side a lot but she has very bad skin so I thought nothing of it.
She has been odd for about 3 years , She seemed very depressed & wouldnt come near me ( she was very clingy in her youth) & would do strange things like stare at the picture frames on the wall.
now her front legs are weak & About a year ago she lost the use of her back legs for 24 hours. Does that sound like SM ?

On the rymadil she is almost like her old self temprement wise. So they have kept her on it but taken her off her steroids. ( the vet admited she should not have been on both for the last fortnight, He didn't read her records.......)

hi Angela,

positive thoughts coming your way.

I'm not much use on SM, but has she had an X-ray to see the state of her heart?

My Cailean's grade 5-6 and has been having difficulties for over a year. He's on 4 different meds for his heart - frusemide, of course. But I haven't heard of the other drug, unless it's another name for something.

Vetmedin is THE drug for advanced MVD. It's known to increase remaining life-expectancy dramatically, and is very well-reputed. Cailean is also on Corventyl (helps keep the airways open) and Fortekor.

As well as fluid build-up, the problem is that the heart gets so big that it eventually stops the dog breathing properly.

Thinking of you and the little lady.

xxx

Hello
The tablets contain benazepril hydrochloride & the box says for the treatment of heart failure ( thats comforting , not)
Penny's not had an xray. I had one done on a dog before , it didnt solve anything & the sedative they used made him very ill.

I just want her to be comfortable, I know there arn't going to be any miracle recovery's , I've lost 7 to heart failure in the last 9 years.

Her last owner got rid of her because of her heart & her weird obsessions .
They didnt tell us that when they gave her to us but she came into my work a few months ago & not knowing who I was told me about " her" cavalier & how she had to give her to rescue because her heart was bad.

Izzy went like that, Angela, ie suddenly, but went on for over two more years. He was put on Fortekor, first of all and it appears that Benazecare is the same drug, benazepril hydrochloride, but by a local manufacturer. Fruise sounds like Frusicare/ Frusimide, again both names for the same generic drug.

Fortekor can take a few days to show results, whereas, if you later get, Vetmedin, it acts quite quickly (within 24 hours for Izzy ).

Have you tried Vitapet oil for the old girl ? It helped my old springer, Cindy, who got to the stage where she needed help lifting her bum, after lying down, but could manage herself afterwards. There's a special version, now, RA, with extras to help joints.

Have you tried Vitapet oil for the old girl ? It helped my old springer, Cindy, who got to the stage where she needed help lifting her bum, after lying down, but could manage herself afterwards. There's a special version, now, RA, with extras to help joints.

The vet couldnt find any pain in her joints & the painkillers have made no difference at all to her movement so it would seem the limp is a neurological problem ( her face is slightly droopy on the same side as her bad leg too) & the painkillers have just helped something else we didnt know about.

I've had to get her a pushchair so she can go out for walks. Only the two younger ones are jelious & try to get in too ,lol

STA72937.jpg

I'm pretty much like you, Angela - lost Misty, Cracker and Declan to MVD since 2000 :(.

Cailean of course is pretty poorly with it too. It would never, ever put me off having Cavs and I would never turn one away because it had a bad heart!

Did your blood boil when the lady said that?

Didn't realise that drug was Fortekor - that makes sense then. :)

I'm pretty much like you, Angela - lost Misty, Cracker and Declan to MVD since 2000 :(.

Cailean of course is pretty poorly with it too. It would never, ever put me off having Cavs and I would never turn one away because it had a bad heart!

Did your blood boil when the lady said that?

Didn't realise that drug was Fortekor - that makes sense then. :)

It did make me angry that she was talking about her lovely cavalier & how sad she was to let her go when she didnt care at all really. My sister ( who she handed her over to) had met her in the street & she didnt ask how penny was at all.

I took her "because" she had a bad heart ( I didn't expect her to live this long actually)

I took another a couple of years ago who was in the final stages of heart failure. The best little cav you could ever meet.
It doesn't put me off. Someone has to take care of them.

Well done Angela, I have lost most of my cavaliers over many many years to mvd, it's never put me off and wouldn't ever. They have virtually all reached double figures.
As you know even Fred has now had to go on Frusemide and Benazecare which is the same drug as Fortekor apparently.
Just love the buggy!!

I agree, well done and bless the people who embrace the special needs dogs as they are so deserving of a loving home. From the experience of having a few special needs dogs and cats I certainly would not be put off by the extra care and love they sometimes need because you get it back in spades and they can be the most rewarding of all companions because the bond can be very special. :)

I do think your KC (gosh she is cute!) sounds like this could be SM -- these are typical signs and behaviours. Could you try putting her on frusemide or cimetidine, and some gabapentin? Or gabapentin alone? The latter is the gold standard for SM pain. You can download Clare Rusbridge's treatment document at my site, www.smcavalier.com. The gabapentin in particular could likely really improve her quality of life as it deals with the actual neurological pain, not the limb discomfort. The limb weakness is often a sign of worsening syrinxes so you might want to talk to a neurologist but if she is an older dog now probably best to try the Rusbridge approaches.

Yes everyone thinks she's cute.lol She'll wag her tail & looks so sweet then bite peoples bums when they turn round, but she let the vet take her away to be weighed with no fuss, She's a strange little dog.

She was very pretty when she was young but has aged quickly over the last 6 months. She will be 11 next March.

I'll discuss those medications with the vet when she goes back.

She is quiet this morning & wont eat her biscuit ( the painkillers have to be eaten with food) .
I'll ask the vet about fruise for her when I go back. see if it makes her any brighter.

Penny is much better , her mouth is pink now instead of white like the other day

Becky's heart is still ok. well the vet said its very good for a "cavalier" Its hard to get a straight answer out of them on wether they actually have any murmer even small or not

the vet said its very good for a "cavalier"

That's what my old vet said about Izzy. As he was from a good line, heartwise, I assumed she meant she was surprised that he didn't have a heart problem (She said that they all get one eventually), but as he had a middling murmur by the time a young employee blurted it it (She was asked to leave due to her lack of interpersonal skills), she probably meant he had a mild murmur.

One of the new vets, the one I like to deal with, said he thought Izzy could have had mild sm, near the end, as he scrated an ear that had no infection. He said it would be interesting to see how this was affected when he went on to Frusicare, but it made no difference, so we'll never know.

Try some pate for the meds. Perhaps you could use it to coat a tablet and a bit of biscuit, so she has some food.

She brightened up once she had her morning painkiller.

I'll have to get a stethescope so I can listen myself. I never get a straight answer from the vet, I just like to know for my own interest.
Becky doesnt scratch her ears , its always her side she scratches even if you rub her ears.

The sore skin on her chin & around her ears isnt too bad since I washed her & stopped putting a snood on her at meal times. maybe she was allergic to the lycra in it.

Apparently we have a new vets being built in the town :) Their exisiting branch is very good but 40 mins away

Becky's back legs arn't good now. she was sat at the bottom of the stairs & everyone kept stepping over her & saying what a stupid place to sit. Then I heard crying & went to look , she was still sat there & needed help to stand up.
She couldnt even get up when I offered her chicken .....

I lost my tri charlie boy who was paralised, this time last year .............

Oh, I am so sorry. Would your vet consider trying her on gabapentin? If the hind leg pain is due to neurological pain, this might really help. The starting dose is around 100mg 2x or 3x.

I'll take her back tomorrow.
we've already been to the vet this afternoon with penny & ezme ( she has a bad tummy upset)

Becky was alright until she had a bath this afternoon , maybe all the rolling about& digging afterward was too much for her.
my mams just noticed her head is very hot ?

She seems cheerful enough otherwise & is wagging her tail
i'll give her another half rymadil

Last edited:
I am so sorry to read of Becky and Penny troubles, this must be so distressing for you at this time of year. Jassy sends special Jassy Snogs to Becky. Arne says to tell her he knows what a pain humans can be when they dont realise you want lifted on to your paws so you can move. He also has a buggy but wont be photographed in it.

Well she made a miracilous recovery in the vet , not even a limp .& she danced & barked her way out , Probably the adrenalin.

One of her back feet had delayed reflexes.

The back of her skull was boiling hot when she had the turn last night , then cooled down after about 5 minutes & is now normal.

They don't stock gabapentin but gave her fruisemide when I suggested it ( though I don't think she knew what the fruise was supposed to do)

the vet also said they'd seen a yorkie with sm last week

Last edited:
Back