PDA

View Full Version : Could Bernie suffocate?

kisa75
14th September 2007, 07:21 PM
This may seem silly but...I keep a lightweight throw on the sofa. Bernie's gotten in the habit of pulling the throw on top of him when he naps - sometimes even covering his head. In the winter, I usually put a heavier throw on the couch. Should I be worried about him suffocating if he covers his head with it :confused: This is my first pup ever so I'm not sure if this normal behavior or not.

Abby's Mom
14th September 2007, 08:08 PM
My Abby prefers to sleep under the covers. She burrows way down to the end of the bed. Hasn't suffocated yet although I'm at a loss as to how she lasts all night way under there! :D:eek:

Barbara Nixon
14th September 2007, 08:11 PM
It's highly unlikely, if you are there, because you would see him wriggling to get free, but leaving a small dog alone with covering which could tangle would be a different matter.

Karlin
15th September 2007, 11:43 PM
I doubt you'd have to worry about suffocation, though with a small puppy, I'd watch out for a very heavy throw. More specifically with pup or adult, always have someone check for where he is before sitting down! It is frighteningly easy to sit on and seriously injure a puppy in particular. Might be best to have a rule that the throw stays folded up unless someone is sitting there with him?

On the other hand you have discovered a cavalier 'right' -- to be under the covers. :lol:

kisa75
16th September 2007, 01:11 AM
Thanks all! My mind was telling me this, but sometimes you can't help but worry!!