• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Geordie

Cathy Moon

I wasn't going to post about this because I thought it was something that would clear up quickly. Geordie developed diarrhea last weekend, and I did everything I'm supposed to do - skip a meal, boil lean ground beef (mince) and mix with white rice to feed him for a few days. He improved enough that I started adding his dry food to the beef and rice on Tuesday morning. Wednesday morning he had diarrhea with blood, so I took him to the vet that morning. Now Geordie is taking Flagyl, an antibiotic, for overgrowth of bacteria in his intestines and his colon. The vet says to keep feeding Geordie his special diet until Tuesday. Luckily Geordie is loving the great food and extra attention. He's starting to improve a little, too.:xfngr::xfngr: I've been a little worried because I read somewhere that there is a Parvo outbreak in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

If your dog had Parvo, I think you would know it. It's really serious and life threatening. another name for flagyl is metronyzerol (sp) and it can be ordered online at a fraction of the price, fyi, it's also used for fish and mine is called fishzole from kvvet, I think a large bottle was about $10.

Sorry to hear about Geordie :xfngr: he's better soon.
Cara and Minnie had the exact same problem last week and they were given Flagyl by our Vet. I put it down to all the yucky things they eat at the beach , but I've since met a few people whose dogs have also been poorly so I guess there's a bug going around here. I just washed all the beds, throws, duvets etc and they are both fine now.

It's probably just a summer thing Cathy and I'm sure Geordie will be fine.

:hug:

I hope Geordie is feeling better soon. Lucky's had a bit of diarrhea the last week or so ... no fun for me cleaning up, but he's not short of energy that's for sure. Hopefully both our boys will be back to normal soon. :)

Oh poor Geordie!!

Parvo affects younger dogs more seriously than older one's especially one's under 6 months old.

Glad to hear he is improving slowly and enjoying all the extra good food! Am sure he will be back to his usual old self in no time!!

Poor Geordie. I am glad the vet found and identified the culprit. I hope the cure kicks in soon. Get well buddy!:flwr:

This seems a similar problem to Diego Ella who has made a thread around the same time as yourself. Her dog is also on Flagyl (Metronodazole) for a condition called Giardia. I wonder whether little Geordie may be suffering from this too. If so then at least he is on the correct medication. Will be thinking about Geordie and hope he recovers soon. :(

geordie

My Merrilegs also had bloody, mucous diarrhoea, she went to th vets and was diagnosed with infected collitis.
She improved very quickly, until I wormed her a few days ago and her symptoms returned.
Luckily she is improving without another visit to the vet.
Ever heard of merc viv 9homeopathic medication for diarrhoea, it was recommended by some very experienced ckcs breeders,but I am not convinced they work.
Feeding her with James Wellbeloved.
She is an 11 month old tri.

Cathy Moon,
I am wishing Geordie a speedy recovery! Ohhh just can't stand when our babies are sick:(. Good to know he has an appetite and is enjoying all the special food!

Hi Cathy Moon.
I wish the best for Geordie! Lots of cyber-flowers for you both...:flwr::flwr::flwr:

Last edited:
Hi Cathy, I'm also looking for an update on Geordie.

As far as Parvo, I believe someone posted, "If he had it, you would know it". That's for sure. I had a Golden Retriever puppy that died of Parvo back in 1995. It's heart-breaking. She had diarrhea, it was very distictive, a horrible stench. Everytime you touched her belly she would vomit. It was horrible. She looked and acted perfectly healthy when I brought her home. I guess I had her for abour 3-4 days when she become ill. She only lived 1 week after that. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

He's not back to normal yet, but I'm seeing a little more improvement today. I think he's sensitive to the rice, so I've started him on a new grain-free food last night and this morning, mixed 50-50 with his special diet. I think the new food is causing the improvement. I'll see how he does today, and if he's not better we'll go to the vet. If he is better I'm switching him to the new food.

He's full of spunk, so I'm not worrying yet!

As far as Parvo, I believe someone posted, "If he had it, you would know it". That's for sure. I had a Golden Retriever puppy that died of Parvo back in 1995. It's heart-breaking. She had diarrhea, it was very distictive, a horrible stench. Everytime you touched her belly she would vomit. It was horrible. She looked and acted perfectly healthy when I brought her home. I guess I had her for abour 3-4 days when she become ill. She only lived 1 week after that. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.
Oh that's so sad :(. Just heartbreaking to go through that.:hug:

He's not back to normal yet, but I'm seeing a little more improvement today. I think he's sensitive to the rice, so I've started him on a new grain-free food last night and this morning, mixed 50-50 with his special diet. I think the new food is causing the improvement. I'll see how he does today, and if he's not better we'll go to the vet. If he is better I'm switching him to the new food.

Cathy, whatever Ozzy had a couple weeks ago took him almost two weeks to completely resolve.

He had two days of lethargy and loss of appetite, which for Ozzy means A LOT because food is more important to him than even balls! I took him in on the third day, and he was given metrozonidal (sp?) which is the generic for Flagyl, and Pepcid AC.

He was finished with the ten days of medicine before I saw the real Ozzy return. He was feeling better, but didn't have as much stamina playing... just subtle things. Now, a full two weeks later he seems to completely back to normal.

I was worried there for a bit!

That's great! Hopefully soon he'll be back on track. :xfngr:

Back