PDA

View Full Version : HOMED: Cavalier oldie, Naas

Karlin
18th September 2007, 07:08 AM
I have been told that there is a notice up in Moss's vets in Naas from someone wanting to rehome a 10 year old cavalier. I have no further information but would think this cavalier probably has very little chance of finding a home except with a cavalier lover.

I don't have the number for the person but the number for Moss is (045) 876912 and the receptionist there would certainly get the correct number for anyone who wishes to call. :xfngr:

sallymum
18th September 2007, 09:11 AM
I will give a ring when i come back from school to see what the story is. OMG i love the oldies.

sallymum
18th September 2007, 11:25 AM
The story on this lad is that Charlie is 9 yrs of age in good health tri colour male nurered. Charlie got out last week and a 4 yr old little girl was pulling out of him and stood on his paw charlie bit her. The mother of the little girl is going mad so the out come is that the owner is rehoming him.
The owner says she has Charlie since he was 10 DAYS OLD. The breeder was going on holiday so got rid of pups. (can they live at this age ).
I am giving her a ring back later.

Claire L
18th September 2007, 01:21 PM
That's so tragic. The owner must be so upset. You can't blame Charlie for biting, that must have hurt like hell.
If you decide to take this little guy Mary and you need help with transport ~ just shout.

sallymum
18th September 2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks Claire the owner said if i decided to take Charlie she will bring him to me.:)

sallymum
18th September 2007, 08:05 PM
I am going to see this lad this evening hopefully:xfngr:

Aileen
18th September 2007, 08:48 PM
:xfngr:
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie----Sam)

Claire L
18th September 2007, 08:53 PM
:xfngr: and :paw: crossed here for you Mary. Let us know what happens.

charly
18th September 2007, 10:54 PM
any news yet do you need help with travel arrangements???

sallymum
19th September 2007, 09:10 AM
Didnt see Charlie last night but he is coming to me this evening about 8. Cant wait to see him. Thanks to everyone that offererd transport.:):flwr:

Aileen
19th September 2007, 11:09 AM
:rah::rah::rah:So pleased:rah::rah::rah:

----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie----Sam)

Claire L
19th September 2007, 04:03 PM
:jmp2: Great news!!!

coconut
19th September 2007, 04:04 PM
thats brilliant mary!! let us know how u get on!!

Cleo's Person
19th September 2007, 06:19 PM
Keep us posted on how it goes!!!!! We wants pics and lots of em!! :snap::snap:

sallymum
20th September 2007, 10:54 AM
Charlies owners have decided to keep him for another week. They are going on a family holiday Sat. for a couple of days and want to bring Charlie as they usually do. They really dont want to part with him but feel they have no choice. I should be getting him Sat. week.

coconut
20th September 2007, 11:24 AM
It must be so hard for them to let him! :-| That happened my auntie she had her dog 9 yrs and all her gran kids played with him he was a really good dog! but he got out one day and this lil (lil madam) was jumping on him and rolling over him:swear: and i think he scratched her of course her mother :bang: is not the easiest of people to talk to start saying that she was getting the guards as my aunties DOG BIT HER CHILD and my poor auntie had to get her dog put done!!

My auntie was told after that the dog never hurt the child it was more of the child hurting the dog!!!

Hope all works out with the doggie mary u deserve good luck!

Maxxs_Mummy
20th September 2007, 01:08 PM
Sorry but I would insist that the parents of the child kept it in place and not get rid of my beloved baby.

Kids just see Cavaliers with their beautiful coats and floopy ears and think they can treat them as toys. She probably scared the poor old boy half to death and now he's getting punished :( Hope the owners decide to keep hold of him as they obviously love him to bits.

Fiddichs
20th September 2007, 01:43 PM
I agree, I would find it very difficult to part with the dog. You have to be careful no matter how confident you are that your dog is never going to do something like that. You never know.
I have had boxers before and now luckily was found by a straying CKC and I am so careful. I would never leave her with Children and the garden is so secure she could never get out and I still go out with her:D.
A family close to me have a CKC puppy and its always out the front of the house, running around with the kids and on its own. I hate seeing it. And if the dog does something they pay the price.
I hope everything works out for the dog.

Are the family planning on getting another dog? Difficult subject to broach but if they are they need to ensure they have a secure area or god forbid this could happen again....

Mary
20th September 2007, 01:52 PM
I hope all goes well Mary. Good for you stepping in and giving this good old feller a home if he needs it. You are great!

Sue.k
20th September 2007, 02:38 PM
I really think they should keep him, that child must have really hurt him, its so unfair on the owners, the obviously love him to bits, it is so sad :(

Barbara Nixon
20th September 2007, 03:57 PM
If I was the owner , I'd ask or get some one to ask the dogwarden a 'hypothetical' question, about such a case. After all. it's not a case of a dangerous dog running loose and attacking without provocation and the child's bite mark is prpbably gone by now, so they have no lasting injury to sue for.

sallymum
20th September 2007, 04:13 PM
When i said to them last night basically what u have all put here, they said they cant chance keeping him because there is a chance that he could ecape again. They have a special needs son who is the one that keeps leaving the front door open. I think from what i can gather Charlie is probaly more time out than in.

Karlin
21st September 2007, 10:01 PM
It sounds ike it would be best all around for this fellow to be rehomed.

A family close to me have a CKC puppy and its always out the front of the house, running around with the kids and on its own. I hate seeing it. And if the dog does something they pay the price.

There are two things you can do. I would ring the DSPCA and report that this dog is left unwatched running around on the street. A warden will likely call down to talk to them. It is illegal to allow a dog to run loose like this and it could easily be taken in by the pound if found and they'd have to pay to get it back out. I have found the SPCA very willing to do this to focus the minds of lax owners. Alternatively sometime when the dog is out running around alone and no one is around, I might suddenly find he was in my car being transported to Cavalier Rescue...icon_whistling.

Cathryn
21st September 2007, 10:09 PM
Just found this, I do hope you can get him out of that situation Sallymum. As you know I have special needs children too, but they most certainly can't even get the front door open, there are ways of making doors etc very secure and preventing this situation arising in the first place! Whole thing makes me feel mad at the childs parents and so very sad for the poor dog at the same time, will watch for updates on this situation!

Karlin
23rd September 2007, 12:55 AM
Cathryn that is very true; what is a special needs child doing in a situation where he can open the door (and presumably run out onto the street himself...) :shock: That is a bit scary.

george108
23rd September 2007, 11:21 AM
Cathryn that is very true; what is a special needs child doing in a situation where he can open the door (and presumably run out onto the street himself...) :shock: That is a bit scary.

Agree that this story sounds a tad strange. Wonder is there more to it??

Barbara Nixon
23rd September 2007, 12:50 PM
It could be that the bitten child's mum is annoyed at the fact that the dog is allowed out alone.

Aileen
27th September 2007, 08:15 AM
Any news ? on this one
----Aileen

sallymum
27th September 2007, 10:28 AM
Dont know what is happening my self. text the owners Tuesday to say how Charlie and they were to see if he was still coming Sat. They said he had been very sick last few days. when i asked what was wrong, he said very bad diariaha(sp) , i sent text to say sorry what did the vet say was wrong they never answered back. tried yesterday still no word. So i really dont know, i hope he is still coming to me i really love the oldies.

sallymum
28th September 2007, 08:06 PM
After loads of unanswered texts and calls i just recieved a text saying we will drop Charlie down at 3 tomorrow. I am a bit concerned because i have asked about Charlies health and so far havent been answered.
As u can understand what with Coco passing and Sam who the vet has told me i will be luck if he here this time next yr. I have not to think of only me but also my kids. Iam afraid that if i take Charlie, i now there is going to be probs at his age and if he has a murmer which i now he prob has at this age, that it could at this stage be serious. Im worried because they wont answer the questions about this. I have sent a text back to him to say is it ok if i ring he answered he will ring me in 10 mins. Im going to ask as much as i can, also Karlin has advised i ask to speak to their vet.
But i will feel bad if i dont take him but i cant go through anything happening in a short time not fair especially to the kids.
what would you do.

Karlin
28th September 2007, 08:26 PM
They are not responsible owners if they are not explaining what his problems are. I would tell them that you need to have them get their dog a final vet check and enable you to go in and talk to their vet, or if the dog has been at the vets for this illness, you need to speak to their vet about what was diagnosed. Just explain you cannot manage a dog who is seriously ill and it wouldn;t be fair on you or Charlie to be moved if he is ill, and if you are going to take him you need to at least have a full vet check done first, by them.

If after this quite normal request they are baulking at this basic courtesy then I would not take him -- in that case it sounds more like they are trying to dump responsibility for an ill dog so that they don't have to deal with him. If he is ill then they need to make some decisions about what to do -- not pass those costs and concerns on to someone else.

Maybe this was always the issue and there never was a problem with biting a child. I never believe people's stories for giving up dogs as so often what I get told never checks out. As you have the number for their vets I'd also call them and ask if they can tell you anything about this dog. But I'd definitely want an assessment of him NOW with these probelms, before I'd take him.

sallymum
28th September 2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks Karlin u said everything that i was thinking. I just feel guilty if he is sick and i dont take him. But i know i have to think of the kids first this time.

Arne
28th September 2007, 08:58 PM
I would phone the Vets and see what they say.

sallymum
28th September 2007, 08:58 PM
Been talking to Charlies owner, he doesnt know about charlies heart or anything else as he hasnt been to vet in the last 2-3 yrs! When i asked about vacs and worming he said his mother in law buys it in batch and does it. Charlie will be brought to vets tomorrow so hopefully i will know more then.
The owner sent me a pic of Charlie and OMG it could be Sam brother they are so alike it is unbelieveable.

Aileen
28th September 2007, 09:09 PM
please let us know asap
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Karlin
28th September 2007, 09:20 PM
That sounds much better :thmbsup: but good grief, not bringing an older cavalier in to the vets for so long? :sl*p: He does probably need heart meds at this point, which would be normal just for his general comfort. We talked about these things though yesterday. :)

sallymum
29th September 2007, 04:22 PM
Charlie is here

*Pauline*
29th September 2007, 05:02 PM
Charlie is here

How exciting, how's it going?

Aileen
29th September 2007, 06:51 PM
:rah::rah::rah:OH GOOD :rah::rah::rah:
Photos please when you can
-----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie----Sam)

Rj Mac
2nd October 2007, 10:41 AM
Been following this thread, and so glad it's all worked out, and Charlie's found a great new home with you :thmbsup:

Cleo's Person
2nd October 2007, 12:57 PM
So how's he settling in????? Any photos? :snap: :snap: :snap:

coconut
2nd October 2007, 01:03 PM
hope all is going well with charlie!! he is gone to a loving home anyway!!

Celticharmony
8th October 2007, 03:54 AM
Hi just got round to reading this story as new to this site, so can you please tell me how Charlie settled in and how he is now? Would so love to hear about him but fear I may have missed a thread somehow. So glad you got him eventually Sallymum and hope you, the children and Charlie are now a happy family.