• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lucy chewing things

Sue.k

Hi Everyone,
I need a little advice, Lucy is 6 (we think) as I got her as a rescue we dont know much about her. I have noticed lately she is robbing things (shoes, slippers, paper etc) and bringing them to bed for a good chew. I only noticed yesterday that she has even chewed the wall!!!! Any idea why this could be?? She also does this head bobbing thing, she could be just sitting looking at you and her head will start bobbing, it is really strange, any ideas??

My two Sally and Sam does this as well . dont know why im used to it know. If anything goes missing i know where to find it.sorry cant be of more help.

Hey Sue

I vaguely recall something on the forum about head bobbing. You might try doing a search. I am pretty sure some suggestions had been made.

Re the chewing. Well at that age that is really what they desire to do. I think the only thing you can do is keep as many things out of reach as possible and perhaps use an x-pen and/or child-gates to keep him away from things he wants to chew.

We have a lovely hole in our carpet, legacy of dear little Beau, and the breeders of Beau & Sonny had to repair their gyproc wall where their puppies decided they'd like to chew.

Good luck :razz:

I think this is the thread you might be talking about Caraline:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=19027

Cassie did this all the time and Honey to a lesser degree. I hope Lucy will be OK.

Molly and Bella adore paper and will rob stuff if they can. I can't offer any suggestions on how to stop the chewing apart from keeping things away from her as much as possible.

Some dogs are also just plain old chewers. A good rule of thumb is not to leave anything in reach that you wouldn't want chewed -- eg shoes -- and to make sure she has lots of OK thing to chew -- toys, kongs, nylabones, whatever she likes.

Sometimes this behaviour can get more obsessive compulsive -- the wall chewing. With that kind of thing the best approach is avoiding giving her the opportunity, by managing where she goes with the baby gates etc.

I'd mention the head bobbing to your vet the next time you are in to see if they have any sugegsstions too.

Thanks Karlin, I will say it to the vet when I bring her, it doesnt seem to cause her any discomfort but I would still like to get it checked out. I also have to get her back leg looked at, I have noticed when she gets out of bed she limps for a few minutes, it might be just stiff but it happens all the time.

Back