• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do you think Bluebell is ok?

emmawright

Ever since Daisy passed away on Saturday, Bluebell won't stop barking, in the house and in the garden, she could bark for hours. Do you think she is trying to call Daisy back? Or is she just telling people that it is now her garden and warning other dogs away? I am really not sure, it is quite upsetting really, because i don't like to think she is calling Daisy. We do distract her when she starts barking, by playing with a toy, but as soon as you stop playing she will bark again, constantly looking out into the garden. I am sure she is wondering where she is.

She is doing well though really, we have been giving her a lot of cuddles and attention, been walking her and playing with her in the garden.

We all miss Daisy very much, only tonight i was speaking to my mum and dad and all 3 of us were crying about Daisy. We all miss her.

Today we got her ashes back and we scattered them in the garden, underneath her favourite tree. That was a hard moment. The funny thing was that as soon as bluebell went out into the garden she ran straight to the spot where we scattered the ashes, and she could smell daisy. I found that very odd, she knew daisy was there.

I am still finding the whole situation hard, and can't believe i won't get her special cuddles anymore, or see her cute face, but with time i hope it will get easier. Bluebell is certainly helping and she has been giving us lots of kisses.

Emma x

The barking could well be Bluebell coming out of her shell. Izzy was our top dog, who never really liked Joly, though he tolerated him. After Izzy died, Joly became more vocal. He now barks to get my attention, when he wants food and even Monty, once quiet, joins in.

When Joly and Monty used to play the barking game, Izzy showed his disapproval by sitting on the landing and howling, assisted by Teddy. Therefore, I think that Joly, in particular, is daring to bark because no dog will stop him.

Perhaps, when you have had time to mourn, you will be able to get a companion for Bluebell, because cavaliers do like having a canine friend.

Now ashes: Joly moans all the time he's in the car and did so when he went with me to get Izzy's ashes. However, as soon as I got back in the car with them, Joly went quiet. The ashes live in my car and Joly was being his normal annoyingly moaning self, on Sunday, until I opened the glove compartment. Perhaps Izzy told him off.

Ok This odd person keeps her dog's ashes in the glove compartment, but he used to love going for a ride in the car.

Last edited:
Emma, :hug: first. You have me in tears reading this. I feel sad you lost Daisy. Hope in time the pain will lessen and remember Daisy as she was. It's no consolation because she was so young. I am sure Bluebell is trying to call Daisy to come back. Would not surprise me if she sees Daisy watching over her from the bridge. Hope Bluebell's pain will lessen in time too.

thanks for the replies, maybe bluebell is just coming out of her shell, or maybe she is calling daisy, i'm not sure. only time will tell. We will certainly get another cavalier friend for bluebell once our hearts have mended a bit.

I'm sorry Emma, I don't have any advice. When we lost our Rudee we didn't have another dog :( Just wanted to send some :hug: your way.

Ok This odd person keeps her dog's ashes in the glove compartment, but he used to love going for a ride in the car.

Barbara that's so lovely :flwr::hug:

I'm sure Bluebell smells Daisy at every turn and is calling out to her. I don't know how long it takes for scent to leave-it could be a bit. Bluebell must really wonder about where Daisy can be-so sweet and so sad. This certainly makes your loss harder to bear. It might help to take Bluebell away from home to an area where there are a lot of new scents and activities-a car ride plus an adventure might help her settle.

Before we brought Buddy into our lives, we had an English Cocker Spaniel named Abby who died when she was fourteen. I hung her collar in the kitchen on the door to the basement, not sure why, just did. For weeks whenever we would have been out and come home, Hadley, our Clumber Spaniel, who was then eleven months old, would go and sniff the collar. After eating she would also lie on the floor by the dog gate on the other side of which I used to feed Abby to keep Hadley from stealing her food, as if to say "where is she?" I think just like us humans they need to get used to having their companion gone. Thinking of you and Bluebell. :hug:

Emma, this must be so hard for you all. Bluebell is obviously missing Daisy but with time this will pass. The barking is probably because she doesnt understand whats happened, just keep giving her the cuddles am sure she's enjoying been spoilt!
In relation to Daisys ashes I believe dogs have an extra sense. My mum had a golden lab who went out in the garden one morning and passed away under a tree without any warning at all. A few months later they got another (a complete nutter!) she is constantly darting about but sometimes she goes to the spot where Rosie died and just lies there quite contently for hours but wont settle like this anywhere else.
I think its a comfort to them.

My dogs never seemed to notice when one went , apart from Amy , we had a stone cavalier painted to look like our first cavaliers markings . when she died Amy would put biscuits in front of it & growl or hit it with her paw. she never bothered with it when she was alive

i cant answer your question but when i read your thread i cried i just wanted to send you :hug:and my warmest wishes ...god bless and goodnight daisy*ng*l

Hi Emma,
First of all I was so sad to hear of Daisy passing away. I'm sure you all miss her terribly.

When Cassie died last year Honey started barking too - she didn't like being on her own. We thought it was seperation anxiety and tried a few different things like getting a DAP. It was only when we got the 2 new dogs that she stopped the barking - not totally but it was a lot better. Bluebell, like Honey always had another dog with them from day one and it must be hard for them to be on their own.

I don't know if you are in a position to get another dog but that is what worked for Honey. I hope Bluebell settles down soon :flwr:

Oh that is so sad, Emma.

I have found that the death of an animal in the household, dog or cat, can affect and disturb the others. This would be especially true for many cats or dogs that have only ever known the companionship of their friend. Certainly some animals won't really react, but I found when I had just my two cats, and one was lost for two weeks, the cat left behind was very upset -- she meowed herself hoarse. Oddly when Jessie was found it took Pippa weeks to accept her again!

I had five cats for a year until Maisie, a feline HIV+ cat, died. The remaining four all behaved oddly for a while. It took maybe a month or two and they all would gather together every day, something they didn't do before and haven't done since (eg all sleep on the bed together).

It might be nice to consider a companion for Bluebell after you've had time to honour Daisy.

One thing that can sometimes help, is to make sure that dogs get plenty of single time with owners too when people have more than one -- separate daily walks for example -- so they are more comfortable being left on their own, whether it be if one dog has to spend time in the vets, or a sad situation such as a bereavement.

Lots of us here are thinking of you. :flwr:

Hi Emma! :hug: :flwr:

I am so sad that Bluebell is missing Daisy so much, she must be as dazed and confused as you right now, it will get better with time trust me on that.
Over the years I have lost several dogs, but 2 which really made an impact were Tiffany and Kirsti, they were both the matriarch's so to speak, fist Tiffy, then Kirsti when Tiff went to the bridge. When these 2 top girls went the others had no sense of order for several weeks until Charm asserted herself as top bitch, I truly believe they have their own way of grieving and like us need to regroup and think things through. Ironically when Charm herself went to the bridge almost 2 years ago, very suddenly, she was surrounded by her 3 daughters, Rosie, Cherry and Sophie, it is now Sophie who is top girl in my cuddle, ironically she is the smallest and has never had a litter of her own (stricture) yet has taken on the mantle of top bitch with consumate ease as did Tiffany many years before, size isn't everything!!

:hug: for you, we are all thinking of you :flwr:

Back