• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Happy Birthday Leo

Claire L

:hppybdy: Happy 4th Birthday Leo! :hppybdy:

Hope you get lots of special treats on your Birthday.
Cara and Minnie send you lots of Cavalier kisses :luv: :l*v:

:hppybdy::hppybdy::hppybdy: LEO :rah::rah::rah::):):)

Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Gosh, Leo says thanks for asking after him! :) I only flew in this morning from the States, just in time for his b-day, so we all had a nap and then they all got a Greenie and a piece of dried tripe. I asked Leo to sit on the armchair for a b-day pic and Lily, who adores him, wouldn't let him sit on his own. :rolleyes:

Here he is, with Lily sitting on his left (she looks bigger than him though it is the other way around!):
1407844721_9318159fd4.jpg

1407845047_581639a377.jpg

He has the sweetest face, and is one of the sweetest-natured dogs I have ever come across, a real little gentleman. He is Jaspar's half brother and I got him when he was about 10 months old, from his breeder -- but I actually met him the day I went to pick out a 3.5 week old Jaspar, as the breeder was intending to run him on and brought him in as an example of an 8 week old puppy. I tried to get a oicture of him that day because he was so cute, but he was so actuive he ran off the frame just as I snapped this pic! I hardly imagined I'd own him less than a year later. A tiny Jaspar is in that basket of blenheims and tris behind him!
leo.jpg

This was the day I brought him home, when he was very nervous and uncertain -- he'd been living as a kennel dog and wasn't really used to being in on furniture (and wasn't fully housetrained, as I quickly discovered!).
leo7.jpg

As many will know, Leo was diagnosed with syringomyelia at about age 1, when I had him MRId for research purposes. At the time he had no symptoms at all so I never imagined he actually had this condition -- which now however is known, sadly, to be fairly widespread in th breed. I was terrified at first, but I've learned so much because of him -- how animals manage this type of pain, the different ways in which a dog can be afflicted and the many ways one can go about managing something like this. Because of Leo and my own difficulty in finding any information on the condition, I set up www.smcavalier.com. People tend to hear more about the severe cases, but he's a good example of what must be more the norm with this condition -- a moderately affected dog helped enormously by some basic medications. Though he definitely slowly progresses with the condition, he has never been more than moderately symptomatic and seems very comfortable on his medications -- meeting him, you'd ever guess he had syringomyelia. Through him I have met so many wonderful, interesting people: researchers from all over the world in both canine and human syringomyelia, dedicated breeders, other owners of affected dogs. He is the reason I am such an advocate of making sure vets know of the condition and of getting people to check for the possibility of SM if there doesn't seem to be any other adequate explanation for certain symptoms, because an affected dog can be so much more comfortable and pain free on some easily available medications! :)

When he was diagnosed I wondered if and feared he might decline quickly and that his life might be very short but I am delighted he is here and going strong at age four. I can't believe it has been that long already; it makes me feel old!! :lol:

Aww! that first pic is sooo sweet :luv: they look like littermates.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Great pictures, Karlin, and what a great tribute! I remember that day when you posted about Leo being diagnosed with SM. I cried, because I was, as you were, expecting to hear Jasper had it, not little Leo. He's not only the reason behind your endless pursuit of research, education, etc. of SM, but he also started my quest---his case is the reason we went forward with Abbey's MRI. Given her mild symptoms, at the time, and the fact that Leo had none and was diagnosed, I knew I had to get some answers about Abbey. Both you and Leo have been an endless support for us. I love hearing updates about Jasper, Lily and the cats, but especially about Leo...:lotsaluv:

Back