• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Following me everywhere!

shippers

I was wondering if anyone elses puppy does this....
Sally is now 7months and has followed me or my partner from room to room around the house from day one. At first it was good as it meant I could always keep an eye on her and I always knew where she was. As she is getting older I'd like her to have a little more independence to occupy herself. She has plenty of toys and even if I give her a chew or treat she still follows me and brings the chew with her!! It would make the house work so much easier if she didn't follow me right under my feet!

Yes, it is very normal cavaier behaviour (indeed it is the hallmark of the breed to follow owners around like this!) and no, she is not likely to get any more independence -- this isn't an independent breed that likes to sit at a distance, it is a breed that wants to be next to you, all the time. :)

There's a long discussion on the same topic going on right now here:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=20603

I offered some links and suggestions and others have too, but basically, you are now seeing the true breed personality of the breed you chose. :cool:

Yes-- having a cavalier means never being in any room alone again. They would rather be with people, than be alone. The only way I got to move from room to room was to get my cavalier a friend of her own-- and that doesn't always work.

I have exactly the same problem!! :D

I can't go anywhere!! I think she's asleep and i get up and the radar kicks in and she's up following me everywhere i go.

She can't do anything on her own, she won't stay in a room on her own even if i just pop to another room and then come back!!

Can't go to the loo, if i shut the bathroom door she opens it! :rolleyes:

Treats and chews get brought along.....it's comical to see but it does wear on me sometimes as it's constant....

xx

About the most independent mine have gotten, is if I am working upstairs and go downstairs to use the bathroom or make a cup of coffee or tea, they will now jump up and then all line up in a row on the landing and peer down at me til they figure out if I look like I'll be staying downstairs -- in which case they all run down and arrange themselves on couches and armchairs. If I start coming back up the stairs they all slowly walk back into my office and settle themselves again. :rolleyes:

I'd miss her if she didn't do it now she's become part me. My partner takes her out now while I do the house work to make it easier. Sally also opens the door when I'm on the loo!! :p It makes me laugh when I see her little face popping round the door! She's so inquisitive and highly intelligent.

I don't mind that she follows me but I do feel bad when she has just fallen asleep or is in a good sleep and she gets up to follow me. poor dear how can she get any real rest!

GEE and I thought it was just my little rescue that was an "in your face" dog. I thought she hung so close to me as she was afraid I would abandom her. I'm really glad to know that the "velcro dog" thing is just part and parcel of the breed! Though a little privacy in the rest room from time to time wouldn't necessarilty be a bad thing!

Yep Scout does the same thing follows me everywhere, My Mom always says it because she's a nosey girl and she's afriad she's going to miss something...LOL:luv:

baxter is my assistant chef, i cannot cook but he is under my feet i am terrible i will let something hot fall on him and he is hoping and praying that i let some food fall so he can get it as the other 2 are playing! i don't think i would want it any other way i love the way they look at u!

it's nice to know they are all the same :D.....i thought it was because Holly was a rescue dog and it was an attachement/anxeity thing...

Can't go to the loo, if i shut the bathroom door she opens it! :rolleyes:

Annie does this EVERY time one of us goes to the bathroom. If you don't shut the door completely, she comes barging in while you do your business.

I guess she figures that we get to watch per potty, so she should do the same.

Daisy has always been my follower, too. I feel sorry for her when I am doing housework. I always think that she'll get tired of getting up and moving from room to room constantly. She has maybe decreased that behavior a tiny bit in the last couple of months. (She's about 17 months old.) I get surprised every once in a while now when I'm in the office and I look around and think "Hey! Where's my little shadow?"

The funny thing about Daisy is that although she shadows me, she seldom wants to be on my lap, or even wants me to pet her when she is in this follower mode. She just wants to be in the room and watch me. She is more independent than most Cavaliers, I think, which is actually good because she is alone 2-3 days during the week for about 6 hours. She seriously acts like she couldn't care less. She goes right in her crate when we leave, and then when we get home, we open her crate immediately and she just lays in there and looks at us like "Oh! You guys are home?" Sometimes we even have to entice her with a treat to come out. If we completely ignore her, she'll walk out of her crate slowly after a couple of m inutes and stretch really big and wag her tail slowly and amble over to one of us.

She's a funny little thing -- ultra-Cavalier-like in some ways, and very independent in others. She was the one puppy in the litter who didn't come up to us when we went to the breeder's house (that actually broke my heart). She wagged her tail at us and was happy when we talked to her, but she then just kind of wandered away when we got occupied with other puppies there. It kind of threw me off, to tell you the truth. She's the opposite now, with new people, she goes absolutely bonkers when she meets someone new. She will run away from me at a dead run to meet anyone new. I may as well be whistling Dixie as to try to call her back or control her when a stranger is around. She's all over them. So unlike my poodles I had growing up. They were the exact opposite. They loved me and my family and really didn't have that much interest in anyone else.

Not only does Bentley follow me into the bathroom, he wants me to pick him up while I'm sitting there! :eek::rolleyes::eek:

Of course he does! If he's anything like Jake....he can never be too close!! I talk to Jake while I shower.....he lays on the bath mat and we chat :D Shelby comes in to see what we're doing....and then promptly finds it boring and leaves.

Jaspar likes to mound my clothes up and lie on them when I'm in the shower. :rolleyes: Earlier today he made me laugh because I turned on the shower and he came charging into the bathroom when he heard the noise. :lol:

Kingston follows me everywhere (but not his dad). He is a clingy little boy, and I love him for it. I can't close the bathroom door when I'm in there because he'll scratch to get in. So I leave the door cracked open, and when he pushes his way through I say "Privacy please!" Of course, he ignores me.

Do most Cavaliers attach to one person in the household? My boyfriend can leave the house, and Kingston acts like nothing happened. But if I leave he will cry, bark, and scratch.

he he - Glad Harvey isn't the only one who does this. No place is sacred in our place - it's a one floor apartment and showers and loo time must also involve Harvey sitting in the same room.... He's so adorable and I would miss it if he wasn't there everytime I turned :)

My two are exactly the same! They follow me everywhere, to the loo as well, and today they were there all the time when I was doing housework and checking that everything gets done properly! In the loo Hermione also likes to look into the toilet seat and loves to watch it being flushed...:eek: Sometimes I feel I don't want to move when they are so peacefully asleep because I know that they'll be up straight away when I leave the room. Well, I'm never alone any more that's for sure:D

Back