• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

UPDATE vaccines.

*Pauline*

As you may have read previously, I have been on quite a quest researching vaccines and asking a lot of questions to orthodox and homeopathic/orthodox vets.

My first line of enquiry was the homeopathic route. I bought what I thought was the homeopathic equivalent to the vaccines. Only to be told there is no substitute to the usual vaccines. What I bought only boosted the immune system.

I looked into getting a titer test which was over £100 :eek:

Then the homeopathic/orthodox vet called me. She gives lectures and teaches and works at 3 different practises so I trusted her. I asked what would be a good regime regardless of the titer test. The advice she gave me she said was the most up to date research from some place in Scotland, I'm sorry I forgot the name.

She said the Lepto vaccine only lasts a year, the others last about 2 years. So you can alternate Lepto one year, all vaccines (including Lepto) the next. She said though some say you can give vaccines once in every three years, she said this was dependant on any epidemics circulating at the time and your dog may not be safe.

This is just one persons advice and I have chosen to take it, you may like to research for yourself.

Interesting -- That is quite different to what the vet schools, who have done a lot of testing, (eg UC Davis) say at the moment. And for me, a surprising perspective from ahomeopathic vet s well as they usually argue that vaccines cover for longer lengths of time, so that's interesting.

Lepto is not even believed to last a full year but omne year is the period it is usually given for. I give it at the time the dogs are likely to be most active in wet places, eg to cover them from spring to autumn. Winter is less of a worry for exposure.

The core vaccines are actually believed to be *potentially* good for a lifetime, after the booster, but not in all cases. A good compromise, in the opinion of the major vet schools, is three years. That is what I follow. It is also Dr Jean Dodd's recommendation as a minimal level.

That said it is true that it is clear neither vaccines, nosodes or titers are necessarily protective and accurate given a current epidemic of parvovirus in Arizone which has brought about the cancellation of puppy classes in one dog show so far. Dogs that had been vaccinated at lower doses and with nosodes *got parvo*. Only the higher dose vaccines have protected dogs. However dogs that got ill were not as bad, as far as I understand, as dogs that might be unvaccinated, which can easily die from parvo. If I can find the link with info I will post it. Food for thought.

OK found the discussion, apparently in this area of Arizona the vets have been seeing sick puppies with parvo, not just unvaccinated puppies or puppies who haven't fully completed their vax series but older puppies up to a year who are still shy of having had their one year booster. :(

One breeder list member posted about in the past, having had an entire litter shy of the one year booster come down with parvo when she used the regular titer vaccines whereas another puppy on the high titer vaccine had almost no reaction at all except soft stools. The other pups were bleeding from both ends, as happens with parvo, and were quite seriously affected and almost died; at any rate required long hospitalisation to pull through.

It's a reminder of how deadly parvo is and that puppies should NOT be walked in parks, brought out with lots of dogs, and so forth until at least their full puppy series is complete and another two weeks have passed to make sure they have gained immunity. Clearly though even then they can still be vulnerable if exposed to a particularly deadly strain of parvo so maybe people will want to ask about the higher titer vaccines.

I wish I remembered the name of the place she said the research was from, all I remember is it was in Scotland. She said this is the most current research.

She also said the 3 year regime also depended on the assumption that everyone in your area has vaccinated their dog, therefore decreasing the risk. I don't think many do vaccinate past the puppy vaccines. She also indicated, as you have said, that it depended on the vaccine used. It made me wonder if there are poorer quality vaccines as I didn't know there were different strengths of vaccines, that's interesting.

She said Lepto on its own was £32 and the combi (including lepto) was also £32.

How much do you all pay for your vaccines?

I think that's cheaper than here. Maybe I should take a trip to Ireland ;) Do you need a dog passport to go to Ireland from England?

Update Vaccines

I know this is straying from the discussion ,but has anybody ,Karlin maybe ,any thoughts about this question .

Now that more different Breeds of Dogs are now found to be suffering from SM ,has there not got to be something that theyve got in common .

What about ,for the Genetically Predisposed Dogs,their Vaccinations.

Could the Vaccines for those Dogs be having a Swelling of their Brain ,the Cere Bro Spinal Fluid ,because of this ,is not getting round the Brain and Syrinxes are forming

Just a thought

Bet

Very interesting information there Pauline, always useful to get the most up to date info on this matter!

Back