• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Luxating Patella op

moonbeams

Hiya,

My wee B&T girl is due to go in for the op on her first leg for LP in approx 4 weeks time, has anyone else gone through this that could give me any idea of what to expect following it?

Advance thankees!

Hey ! I posted this last week for someone else looking for advice on this board. I hope it helps you

My Kosmo was diagnosed with BI-Lateral luxating patellas in July. He had a grade 3 on his right leg and grade 2 on his left. I got him in for x-rays on a thursday and I went to the vet who explained to me what I was seeing on the x-rays and the necessity of surgery. Kosmo's legs were slightly bowed in the back which apparently makes him a likely target of luxating patellas :eek:

I was able to get a very experienced board certified orthopedic surgeon. I cannot stress to you how important this is. The reason it's so important is, as the surgeon explained to me, she will have to go in and deepen the grooves of the patella so that the knee cap sits in there properly. There is no ruberic for the surgeon to know exactly how deep to deepen the groove, or how shallow to keep the groove. If they do it too deep or too shallow, then you could have problems and maybe a potential for another surgery later on. It's up to the surgeon to decide how deep/shallow to make it, so it's important you get somebody who is experienced in this procedure.

Kosmo had surgery on July 21st of this year, so he's going to be EIGHT weeks post surgery this Thursday (woohoo!!) I got both legs done at once. His right leg (grade 3) required a tendon re-location and there were pins inserted to hold them in place while they grow back onto the bone.

When he came home, I was thinking I was going to have an awful, crippled, sad looking dog, but to be honest with you I was quite surprised. He was able to walk on his legs IMMEDIATELY after bringing him home to go out and pee/poop. I would only let him down long enough to pee/poop, then back to the confinement area if he wasn't on my lap, but I was able to let him out to go none the less. :)

My surgeon seen things a bit differently than some others, so you'll have to follow your vet/surgeon's advice, but Kosmo was only on strict strict crate rest for about 3 weeks. I actually didn't do a physical therapy regimen through a certified doctor with him - my surgeon said I could do the exercises on my own. Between 3 and 6 weeks I took him on small walks - 5 minutes this week, 7 the next, 10 the next, etc. I got Kosmo a stroller (insurance paid - woohoo!) and when he would get tired I would just put him in the stroller and continue. I was fortunate to have the stroller because he was still able to go places with us and come for walks with his sister. He still liked smelling the air and sniffing. It was cute ! At 6 weeks he was lifted of all restrictions, and now at 8 weeks, he's acting like he was before there was any indication of a problem. Since the surgery his knees have NEVER popped out! I'm so happy it's come out this way - I get tears in my eyes when I see him running at 100% speed and free of all previous ailments. It's been the best thing I have done for him. For a few weeks there before the surgery I had lost my dog :( He didn't want to go anywhere or do anything and I carried him EVERYWHERE. But now he's my happy baby again !!

We had really no complications. There was a little pain here and there and he was given more freedom and then put on a 48 hour restriction a few times, but your vet will be able to advise on all of that. This last Thursday I did notice a blood blister on Kosmo's knee but I took him in and apparently one of the internal stitches wasn't dissolving properly so he's on some antibiotics, but that's really a small small complication.

Also, here's what to expect ;)

I thought he looked great!

Right Leg:

b101895119.jpg

Left Leg:

b101895193.jpg

Instead of crating, I got a home n go playpen (kosmo is not a jumper and my vet approved this) This is him in his playpen:

b101895553.jpg

He was REAL happy about this (as you can see - heehee!!)

b101969601.jpg

Here's a picture taken approximately 5 weeks after surgery.. His hair on his legs had grown back sooo much!

b105935550.jpg

Hope this helps :xfngr: Let me know if you need anything, I'll try my best to help! :flwr:

OH and PS - we were on tramadol and metacam for pain .. .. .. he was able to come off of everything about a week after surgery.. I think it's different for every dog, so whatever your vet says and how your dog acts is obviously what you should follow, but I was pleasantly surprised on how quickly he was able to come off the meds.

Last edited:
Some people just discussed this in the Bentley threads in this section, so that might be of help. Also try doing a search on 'luxating patella' (search is up on the red menu bar above) as there are some long threads where people whose dogs have had the surgery explain it and how they managed their dogs. (y)

Search on 'patella surgery' as well! Here's a thread with lots of information:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=13788&highlight=patella+surgery&page=3

There are many of us whose cavs had successful patella surgery. Each vet is different, so don't worry about that. Just make sure you follow your vet's aftercare instructions (don't take any chances on undoing the surgery!), and ask your vet lots of questions. Also, ask about pain medication BEFORE surgery, and make sure the vet provides them when you're bringing your cav home. :flwr:

And remember that someone is always here to help!:flwr:

Thanks will trawl the forums when I get home from work. My Vet is going to be operating on one leg at a time though, as he says shes quite bad.. graded 1-4 by him he says her legs are 2 & 3, or with a second opinion from a different vet who grades 1-5 shes 3 & 4.

Nice to see the pictures, I had the impression it was going to look like something out of a horror flick. :)

thankee again! from me and Pascha

Picture004.jpg

Okay read over a good few posts about previous people who've had this done. Thankfully it doesn't look or seem as awful as I imagined. :)

Am now going to be looking into treatments that might help with her recovery.. so if anyone can recommend a place in N.Ireland that has a hydrotherapy pool, let me know please; or does one have to be referred to it by a vet?

Usually you do need a vet to refer you as these tend to be specialty facilities, run by vets. Your vet would likely know if there is a facility near you. :) If they don't know, maybe ring a vet school?

I was so grateful to my friend for sending me pictures of her boy after surgery before I picked up Shelby. I was prepared but still upset to see her. Of course....24 hours later she had me giggling while she stumped around on her 3 legs like there was nothing wrong with her. The hardest part is the confinement afterwards but it does get to be a routine. And then you really do the "happy dance" when you get released to freedom!!

Our surgery did not hold the first time and we had to do have it re-done. After the 2nd surgery we opted to do water therapy and physical therapy....no way we didn't want it to not work the 2nd time!! Shelby loved the underwater treadmill. She's normally a very quiet girl but boy did she set off to barking and dragging me through the door as soon as we pulled up to the facility. The picture of her in the current theme contest is of her doing her water therapy.

Good luck and let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks! its been very reassuring, having spoken to people who've been through this. Am so hoping it goes well for her (for both ops). And will definately speak to the vet about the hydrotherapy pool, I did a quick search through the telephone book and there are a few places near me who do have it. :)

Hi!

Hope all goes well with the surgery, it is reasuring to read of other people's experiences on here, it really does help! Good Luck with the pool as well, it really is a great way to rehab a dog after this kind of surgery, keep us posted! (y)

Back