• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

he bites me a lot

:)HELLO! well i know that puppies do have the tendency of chewing a lot....but how do i get him to stop bitting me! I think he thinks that im playing when i assertively say no he continues and it hurts! any advice?

A puppy can only bite when it is offered something to bite down on. The solution is to remove what he is biting! :) That is quite serious advice -- because what a puppy wants is for you to pay attention to him and play with him. If you remove your attention he will quickly learn that biting is what caused you to ignore him.

Also, it's generally a good idea not to wave hands around in front of a puppy in play, which simply invites biting (by getting him all excited).

If he nips just loudly say no! or Ahhhh! and get up and walk away and ignore him for 5 minutes. They do very quickly learn to control their biting but it takes a while.

We had a visit with our trainer last night and she was talking about teaching a puppy not to bite. She felt it's important that a puppy be able to mouth you but as soon as you feel pressure you yelp loudly to let him know that hurts and is not acceptable. You should see the faces on my two when I've yelped when they've played a bit too hard (as puppies)!!! They immediately stop, they don't want to hurt you but don't realize they are...unless you tell them.

Yes, that's good advice -- I was thinking more in the sense of flapping hands around and wrestling with puppies and getting them overexcited. Goodness knows they tend to come up and nip anything of their own accord for a while so there's plenty of opportunity for teaching bite inhibition! :lol:

My blenheim (Molly) loves to just have my fingers in her mouth sometimes...and it's amazing how gentle she has become...over time of telling her 'gentle' sternly, she has learned. It just took time. She is 13 months old.

When we first got our little one, she would bite too. However, when she bit me I would yelp and pull my hand away and she completely stopped. She never bites me now......I just think she didn't realize she was hurting me. They learn so fast. Judy and Dixie

I agree with Cathy T. Dylan still likes to mouth a little in play but never hurts us as we taught what was ok and what wasn't. I find a gasp and not a yelp to stop Dylan in his tracks immediately.

My puppies, Morgan, Teddy, Sassy and not forgetting Heidi are just getting into the biting stage, as soon as we feel pressure we yelp, as Cathy has already mentioned, it is enough to make them stop and realise it is not acceptable behaviour. Persistance is key here especially as a lot of puppies get "mouthy" when they are changing their teeth. Substituting fingers for nylabones is good too, they do need to chew on things to help encourage their teeth to change!

Back