• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi! New Cavalier owner here

Crosby76

Hi all. My husband and I purchased a wonderful CKCS at a pet shop...I know...they should never be purchased that way, but he had me at hello. I researched the breed and he is perfect for us. We named him Daniel on the way home. We introduced him to our 4 year old Sheltie and they get along amazingly.

My question is: since I bought him from a pet store $1700 I might add, are there problems that I should know about? Are there signs that maybe he could not be registered as AKC?

Thanks in advance,
Colleen

You should have papers that will designate which registry is available to you. It is doubtful he is AKC registered, since he came from a puppy mill, but that is possible. The other registries are worthless, designed to lend an air of legitimacy to the mills, and no proof of being purebred is required for them.

You should have papers that will designate which registry is available to you. It is doubtful he is AKC registered, since he came from a puppy mill, but that is possible. The other registries are worthless, designed to lend an air of legitimacy to the mills, and no proof of being purebred is required for them.

I received no papers and for you to assume he came from a puppy mill is pretty harsh. Even if he did, he is not worthless to me, I could give a crap if he has "papers". He is still the most adorable puppy ever. I am not going to show or breed him. He is our child (puppy). Thanks for your info.
Colleen

icon_welcome to Cavalier Talk. Its great welcoming new Cavalier lovers to the website. There is a ton of imformation by Cavalier professionals from all over the world. If you have any questions, someone here will either know the answer or find it for you! By the way, we love pictures so when you have some of Daniel, please share!

About Daniel - The only advice I would give you is the same I would give to anyone purchasing a dog or adopting one for that matter - Have Daniel fully evaluated by your vet. There are some very serious hertiable conditions in many Cavalier lines. Your vet will be more aware of any potential problems that might plague Daniel now and in the future. If he/she clears Daniel you probably can relax. You will probably want to have Daniel certified by a cardiologist and an ophthomalogist at some point as well.

About Puppy Mill Dogs - My little love Zena was a modified puppy mill reject (she couldn't produce large enough litters) and I got her as a rescue. She's a true little angel in temperment and her health has been repeated cleared for me by my vet. So not all dogs from mills are problematic. I personally can't support them because of what they did to Zena, but I know for a fact that some mill animals are sound of mind and body. That's not to say for absolute certain that Daniel is even from a mill, though its odds on that he is.

Not to sound too preachy, but the pet shop probably didn't make you sign a neuter agreement which most (if not all) reputable breeders would have done. But do it anyway. Its better for Daniel and better for you, too.

Again, WELCOME to Cavalier Talk!

Thank you!! :)

I love my Daniel. Shame on the pet store to charge me $1700 for a dog from a puppy mill. My husband and I had to put our cocker spaniel to sleep a week prior and my Sheltie was greiving..as were we..I saw Daniel and had to have him be my son...he came with no papers so I found that strange. It really does not matter..he is a family pet albeit an expensive one! So far no bad behavior, he is a wonderful puppy!
Colleen

I received no papers and for you to assume he came from a puppy mill is pretty harsh. Even if he did, he is not worthless to me, I could give a crap if he has "papers". He is still the most adorable puppy ever. I am not going to show or breed him. He is our child (puppy). Thanks for your info.
Colleen

Actually....Nancy wasn't saying that he's worthless. I'm sure he's worth a million bucks to you!! :)The registries are crap....not the dog. If he came from a pet store.....inevitably he came from a puppy mill. Not a reflection on you personally....a reflection on the pet store. Love him up and enjoy his puppyhood. They grow so fast you won't believe it!!

And you're so right....shame on the pet store to charge you that kind of money. That's just wrong!!! I'm so sorry for your loss of your Cocker. I hope Daniel the Spaniel (that's so cute!!) will help you, your husband, and your Sheltie recover from your loss.

Please understand the frustration so many of us feel with pet stores. They are unethical and the people they buy from are unethical. If you've ever seen the video of puppymills...they would just break your heart.

Enjoy your boy!!! :luv:

Not sure if it has been mentioned before but my advice is to get good pet insurance. Any problems noticed before you have the insurance or in some cases a month or so after means the insurer will not pay out for that condition. Find a company that insures any illness for life, not just the year it appears.

Please don't be put off the site by everyones reactions, it's only because we care so much about this breed. We will be right behind you if you need advice or help.

All the best and congratulations on your new puppy, he looks beautiful. My son has the name Daniel for one of his middle names.;)

Echo Cathy here. :) Glad you discovered this wonderful breed! We would NEVER say any cavalier is worthless; Nancy (who does rescue for her region and therefore welcomes in all cavaliers of all backgrounds! (y)) is definitely saying the bogus *registries* are worthless.

We have lots of info for you here and lots of people happy to offer their own experiences and ideas when you have questions. :)

When you see how people exploit this breed by breeding indiscriminately and putting them at such risk of serious health problems like early heart failure, or keep them confined in tiny cages, having litter after litter, it makes you pretty angry with the mills, the backyard breeders, and the bogus registries who help support this whole system. :( So lots of us will express anger at that *system*... (y)

Back