PDA

View Full Version : Airline Carrier???

Crittercall
25th September 2007, 05:17 AM
Roxie has outgrown the carrier we used for our last trip, and I'm looking for a new one to use at T'giving. Any suggestions on what to get or does anyone have one they want to sale?

Roxie is growing FAST. I bought her a medium puppia today and it's a bit big, but she's only 4 months old. She probably weighs around 12 or 13 pounds now. I think she's gonna be a big girl!!

Karlin
25th September 2007, 10:41 AM
Are you looking for a crate or a soft carrier?

Crittercall
25th September 2007, 01:05 PM
Judging by her size and the effort it took to get her under the seat before it would have to be soft. She's really great, went sound asleep after we got her settled. Didn't make a sound the entire trip. As we were de-planing I could hear a buzz going back through the plane - "There's a dog up there"!

Kdemars
28th September 2007, 03:24 PM
I borrowed one of those fancy expensive ones (Sherpa) and didn't like it. It collapsed funny and she seemed uncomfortable. But I brought along with me this collapsible one from Target in case I didn't like the Sherpa and ended up using it on the trip back. I think it was like $20 and it was WONDERFUL. It's so thin that it doesn't waste any space on pockets etc. so Ella had as much room as possible and it was really open with lots of vents. Plus it can be manipulated to fit anywhere and expand to fill every inch of it. Ella seemed to really like it, there was plenty of room left in there when she curled up and went to sleep - I think you can see that in this picture. By the way Ella is about 14 lbs.
I think this is the product - Target Pet Carrier (http://www.target.com/Pet-Carrier/dp/B0009NWVEG/ref=bxgy_cc_img_b_1042216/602-4164342-6446218) (It doesn't give the dimensions online so I can't be sure - I bought it in the store)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1191/1452568107_fc3a93ac06.jpg

Karlin
28th September 2007, 10:07 PM
That'\s such a funny pic, I can imagine you taking it as people are getting on board!! (or off) and wondering what in the world you were doing taking a pic of the seat pocket! :lol:

Gingers Mommy
29th September 2007, 03:46 AM
I happen to think the Sherpa bags are very good. I have one for Ginger and for a lot of our trips on air or by car, she was in her sherpa bag. They are soft so they can be squshed under the seat if need be. My only thing is I didnt feel them to be so comfortable for me. Its a fairly universal bag, last time I was at the airport I saw about 3 other people traveling with pets in sherpas.
I did just buy this new bag for her, Im not even sure how it'll be, so I finally found a website that sold it that allowed full refund for returns.
http://www.petabbey.com/store-products-ti-argo-aero-pet-carrier-Aero-Pet-Carrier_39354484.html
not sure if its good but I'll let you know.
I had also purchased a really cute bag from Celltei (you can google it) but it came and it was too big for an airline. So we use it for other travels. I do know there were some other board members that got them and really like them.
Good Luck!

katc10
29th September 2007, 07:30 AM
I have had this same question. We want to take the dogs back east with us for Xmas, and the only carrier I had heard that would work was the Sherpa, which to my knowledge costs $100 each, which would mean carrier + flights would be about $300 per dog, which is a bit of a put-off. What flight did you fly with the Target bag? We'll be flying American Airlines and it will be our first time with the dogs, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Gingers Mommy
30th September 2007, 12:21 AM
Kelly-
You can purchase a medium size sherpa for $69 and a large for $79 directly from their website.

http://www.sherpapet.com

However, the target one seems extermely affordable and comfortable!

As long as the measurements meet the airline requirements, you should be all set.

Crittercall
30th September 2007, 03:41 AM
I saw the post about the Target carrier about 30 minutes after I got home from Target! My daughter said that Avery was playing with them but I was looking at the pink breast cancer research cookware.

I looked at one at WalMart tonight that said it was airline approved, but Erin said that the one at Target looked like it would be more comfortable. So I'll be going back to Target soon. If she doesn't end up outgrowing being able to get her under an airline seat then I'll invest in a really nice carrier I guess. On line the Target one was $16.00 and as long as that works we'll be fine. A good match for her crate that folds down to the size of a frisbee!

Thanks for the suggestion - and I love the picture!!

arasara
30th September 2007, 05:09 PM
LOL @ the picture! It's cute :P

Good luck with your carrier Donna - here's Faith in her pet on the go from celltei - I really liked how well made it is :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1392/748662380_7e32c027d1_b.jpg

Cathy Moon
30th September 2007, 05:31 PM
I bought one of the Target pop-up carriers yesterday, and this morning I got India into it. She weighs 18 lbs. I would not recommend it for carrying, but it would be perfect for under the seat on a plane. When they curl up in it, it moves and changes shape enough for comfort. So you'd still need a good carrier like a Sherpa or Celltei for transporting. The pop-up twists and folds to the size of a frisbee as mentioned and could fit into a large purse.
Here she is sitting:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n47/moonscape_2006/DSC_0082.jpg

Standing and sniffing around for treats:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n47/moonscape_2006/DSC_0084.jpg

Lying down with head up:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n47/moonscape_2006/DSC_0094.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n47/moonscape_2006/DSC_0090.jpg

BTW, that's Chocolate lounging in the background. I keep an open crate in my kitchen for anyone who wants to wander in and sleep there, and they all take turns. I also put Geordie in there for his bully sticks!

arasara
30th September 2007, 05:45 PM
cathy,

that's great that she fits in at 18lbs! :) She looks pretty content in there too :D Are you allowed to transport a dog inside of an airport that's not in it's carrier?

PS they are both gorgeous :)

Cathy Moon
30th September 2007, 06:18 PM
Are you allowed to transport a dog inside of an airport that's not in it's carrier?
No, I don't think so. That's why I said you'd still need a good carrier like a Sherpa or Celltei for transporting.:)

Kdemars
1st October 2007, 08:18 PM
CUTE CUTE!!! Very true - the target bag is not great for general carrying as its not extremely sturdy. But that's great news for fitting it under a seat because it really smushes well to fit just about anywhere.

The flight that I took the carrier on was a Delta flight. I didn’t even think about what people must have thought of me taking a picture of the plane floor and seat back. Shesh!

We were going to the lake for the week and I didn’t fly with her kennel so I bought the really big collapsible kennel made by the same company as the carrier and loved it too. It's perfect for traveling!!!

Cathy Moon
2nd October 2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks so much for telling us about it! :thnku: Very affordable at $16.00!! :thmbsup:

Crittercall
2nd October 2007, 04:54 AM
Buying one of those is definately on my list of things to do. Fortunately there is an airline (Allegiant) that flies from here to Chattanooga non-stop so we don't have to fool with changing planes and the flight only lasts an hour, which means she isn't in it for long.

I love the pictures of India. So serene and comfortable. Roxie isn't quite that calm about traveling!

katc10
2nd October 2007, 07:33 AM
So was that the small size carrier? I bought it today, she didn't seem amused when I put her in it. And my concern is that all the airline sites say the dog must be able to "stand up, turn around, and lay down in a natural position", and she can't do more than crouch or lay down. Indy is 18 lbs, Charlie about 20. I'm afraid to take a chance and get to the airport and them not let us fly! :(

Second thought, what are the chances I could borrow or rent carriers? I just can't bear spending that much on something we will likely only use once...

Crittercall
2nd October 2007, 04:14 PM
Having only flown once I don't have much experience, but I can tell you that no one checked our health certificate, how much room Roxie had in her carrier, etc. It was a pain because we had to take her out of the carrier, take off her puppia and put those on the conveyor belt with shoes, etc., and I had to carry her through security. They paid virtually no attention to her - which was fine with me! Not sure how the bigger airlines and bigger airports handle it. Others I'm sure can answer to that. (We do have a huge airport here but fortunately our "cheap flight" goes out of a small airport north of Orlando.)

katc10
3rd October 2007, 02:04 AM
Well I've noticed the smaller airports are more strict about security measures anyway, and American says they don't even require health certificate, just proof of rabies shots. I found a site that has large Sherpas for $45, I'll probably get them there if I can't find some cheaper on ebay or something.

Cathy Moon
3rd October 2007, 02:21 AM
So they made you take her out of the carrier in security?

I'm going to be transporting a 'special needs' cavalier later this month, and I was hoping to keep him calmly resting in his large Sherpa carrier as we move through the airport. I'm planning to bring the Target carrier (folded up in my purse) in case he's uncomfortable in the Sherpa on the long flight. But I didn't think I'd have to take him out of the Sherpa and put him back in the security area. Has anyone else had this experience?

Crittercall
3rd October 2007, 04:11 AM
Okay, Kelly, don't keep that site to yourself! I'd could go for a Sherpa at the right price!:)

Yes, Cathy, at both airports it was required that the carrier go through x-ray and I carry the dog. Maybe Sara will have some input on changing planes, bigger airports, etc. I hate it that a puppy that has "issues" anyway will have to be disturbed for security purposes - but then, I hate having to put contact lens solution and hand lotion in a plastic bag, too!

Cathy Moon
3rd October 2007, 04:19 AM
I'm glad to find out about this beforehand, Donna, thanks. :flwr: At least now I can plan for it rather than be all flustered when it happens. :thnku:

katc10
4th October 2007, 01:13 AM
$45 here: http://www.petguys.com/-743723-large.html

$60 here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+12+11517+804&pcatid=804

PetSmart also has this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750635

Crittercall
4th October 2007, 01:43 AM
Thanks, Kelly!! Looks like I might need to get my credit card out again - I love on-line shopping.:)

Crittercall
7th October 2007, 02:04 AM
I'm set. I have a green Sherepa on the way and will carry the Target bag with me "just in case". Oh, the places we will go!!

katc10
7th October 2007, 05:50 PM
I had a dream last night that we flew home and I was really upset that we hadn't brought the dogs. LOL. I think that's a sign...

Ginger's Mom
11th October 2007, 10:47 PM
Thank you SO much for this info. I need to get that Target carrier. We're flying to Florida for Xmas this year and I wasn't sure what to do about Ginger. Now I know what to do!!!!

Celticharmony
11th October 2007, 11:10 PM
This is a seriously cute photo. Only wish we were allowed to take our doggies to France using this method, but alas we have to drive as it is at least less stressful for them than sitting in a cage in the aircraft's hold in a loud environment for two and a half hours. Still, have to admit we always enjoy the journey, stopping off at country places where the doggies could always go for a good romp.

Debby with a Y
12th October 2007, 04:46 AM
Veronica, where in Florida?

Ginger's Mom
12th October 2007, 06:33 PM
Hello Debby,

We're going to visit the in-laws in Weston from Dec 20 to 26, then to Orlando (WDW) from 26 to 29.

You live near Ft. Lauderdale right? I can't wait to go back there.... :)

katc10
21st October 2007, 10:55 PM
CUTE CUTE!!! Very true - the target bag is not great for general carrying as its not extremely sturdy. But that's great news for fitting it under a seat because it really smushes well to fit just about anywhere.

The flight that I took the carrier on was a Delta flight. I didn’t even think about what people must have thought of me taking a picture of the plane floor and seat back. Shesh!

We were going to the lake for the week and I didn’t fly with her kennel so I bought the really big collapsible kennel made by the same company as the carrier and loved it too. It's perfect for traveling!!!
Did the Delta people give you any crap about that Target carrier? I just booked our Xmas flights with Delta, and was going to buy the $45 Sherpa carriers, but would rather buy the Target carriers if we can get away with them. Thanks!

Crittercall
21st October 2007, 11:37 PM
Veronica - hopefully we will be home from NGA shortly after C'mas. Maybe we can all have a get together!

Holly
21st October 2007, 11:59 PM
My parents just used that Target carrier to transport their Cav puppy from Atlanta to Boston and had no problems at all! They flew Airtran. They just put a comfy blanket in the bottom and no problems!

Cathy Moon
30th October 2007, 11:04 AM
I used the large Sherpa carrier for Charlie, along with some Valium from his neurologist, to fly from California to Ohio. I bought a small, folding luggage cart to carry the Sherpa at the airports. This worked very well for us.:) We flew US Airways.

Don't reserve the window seat on the plane, if possible, because the space underneath is smaller than a middle or aisle seat. Make sure you get a row where there are no obstructions underneath the seat where your carrier goes.:thmbsup:

katc10
30th October 2007, 05:14 PM
I made sure we reserved the aisle seat and middle seats on our flights because of that. We will be flying from CA to PA, with one stop each direction. Is there a size difference between the Sherpa and the Target carrier? Which carrier would those of you with flying experience recommend? Charlie is a bit bigger than Indy, so the Target carrier is appealing because I know it is more flexible. Also, I'm not sure what we do during our layover, should we try to take them outside to potty? How soon before the flight do you cut off food/water? Thanks for all of your help!

shell nyc
30th October 2007, 07:21 PM
katc10:
What airport are you connecting through? How long is your layover, and how old is Indy?

Winston has flown about 20,000 miles with me so far this year, starting when he was 12 wks old (unexpected trip came up right after I brought him home!) I bought a Sherpa-like softsided carrier from Petsmart, put a fleece cratepad in it along with a rawhide or bullystick and a snuggle toy and voila, a comfortable cross-country trip! Winston is quite a bit larger now but still fits comfortably curled up in his carrier. A bit of a warning, it does seem a bit heavy and awkward particularly when the pup moves around in the bag, but it's manageable.

For one of our first trips I brought along a weewee pad and took him into a bathroom stall during the layover to do his business. Another couple of times the layover was long enough that we went for a walk outside (much easier by the way if you can leave your bags behind security with a friend/SO.) These days I shoot for direct flights or short layovers and just go straight through. He sleeps through take off and landing, and most of the time the other passengers and the Flight Attendant first notice him as we're deplaning!

katc10
30th October 2007, 07:36 PM
Indy is 2, Charlie will have just turned 1. Both have good bladder control. We have a 1-hour layover in Atlanta on the way out, and a 2.5-hour layover in Salt Lake City on the way back. Maybe I'll try the potty pad on the way out, we can always spray it with the 'good potty' spray to emphasize "you pee here", and they're both very good at potty'ing on command, Indy's just a bit shy. We should have plenty of time to take them outside in SLC.

shell nyc
30th October 2007, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a good plan. ATL is big and busy, so I wouldn't risk heading outside of security.

Here's an article about some pet-friendly airports. http://www.petfriendlytravel.com/?page=news&id=18
The Paw Pad at PHX was a welcome relief when our flight got cancelled and we had an unexpected 4hr layover!

Crittercall
3rd November 2007, 04:29 AM
The SLC airport is reasonably small (much smaller than Atlanta) so that should work out well for you.

We will be taking Roxie to Chattanooga for T'giving in a few weeks and then back again at C'mas. I'm going to take her in the Sherpa but have the Target carrier with me just in case.

I wasn't thinking about there being less room by the window. For T'giving we have the middle and window seats; for C'mas I have Bubba in an aisle seat and me directly behind him so that Roxie will be underneath him. I had a bit of problem just manipulating her under the seat before and thought it would be a bit easier if he is in front of me so that he can pull her through!

Cathy Moon
3rd November 2007, 01:59 PM
You can request a seat change any time. I changed my seats for my return flights from CA as soon as I arrived at my first layover in Phoenix on my flights to CA. Also, on the first leg of our return trip we were given a better seat after we were on the plane. :)

Debby with a Y
6th November 2007, 01:53 PM
Hello Debby,

We're going to visit the in-laws in Weston from Dec 20 to 26, then to Orlando (WDW) from 26 to 29.

You live near Ft. Lauderdale right? I can't wait to go back there.... :)

Oops, I'm so sorry I didn't see this earlier! My boyfriend and I ride our bikes in Weston with our bike club on weekends, a really nice place! I actually live in Dania Beach which is near the beach. Let me know if you want to meet up for some doggy playtime, we have a few nice bark parks!

Ginger's Mom
6th November 2007, 04:38 PM
Debby, we'd love to meet you! We're going to be there for whole 10 days with not much agenda except to bake Christmas cookies at my in-laws. :) I'd so love to meet up. I'll PM you with all my contact info. Let's make this happen!

Debby with a Y
7th November 2007, 04:25 AM
YAY and now we have our holiday meetup in the planning stages!!

On to a carrier question. I saw this SturdiBag (clicky) (http://www.sturdiproducts.com/4111/xcart/product.php?productid=2&cat=1&page=1) at the cat show...it looks like it was MADE for our Cavaliers!! I need a nice bag for Barkley and the Target bag is too flimsy. Does anyone have a SturdiBag? Pros or cons?

http://www.sturdiproducts.com/images/SturdiBagLarge.gif

Crittercall
7th November 2007, 04:37 AM
This looks like a great carrier. I bought a Sherpa and hope that it will work okay. We can compare notes later - we'll be using ours at T'giving.