PDA

View Full Version : what should I do

Aileen
25th September 2007, 10:12 PM
I have find a little cavalier puppy for sale for £100 I dont know what to do part of me knows that this little one might have come from a puppy farm but he looks only about 10 weeks old what would you do?
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Karlin
25th September 2007, 10:30 PM
It's very hard to tell origins of dogs but at that price it is either a BYB or puppy farm dog. It won't be from a good, caring, health focused breeder -- with all the risks that implies.

Here's my rescue perspective: I don't buy dogs from ads except in exceptional circumstances, for rescue -- and then ONLY if I am sure they ARE puppy farm dogs (adults) who might be condemned to a further life of breeding otherwise, and which don't cost much to start with.

I never buy puppies -- plenty of people will buy a puppy so it isn't really 'rescuing' anything. Some family will probably buy it. If you want a new puppy and are willing to take a big health risk, that's your option but it does just continue to put money into the pockets of puppy farmers and support that whole cruel system. I think it is better to spend time rather than money lobbying on puppy farm awareness with politicians etc, and reserve your cash to support a reputable breeder if you want a puppy. :thmbsup:

Aileen
25th September 2007, 11:18 PM
It is not that I want a puppy I just saw it the next puppy/young aldult will be from some one who does all the health test thanks for the answers
I donnot want to put money into puppy/farms because that will mean another little dog will land up replacing it
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Barbara Nixon
25th September 2007, 11:27 PM
Have a word with Audrey Stokes, the Midlands rescue person. On another forum, someone mentioned seeing a puppy at a carboot sale, being offered for £100 and she said they should have bought it and the rescue would have repaid them. I don't know whether the policy still holds, but worth a try. She lives in Telford and you can find her number on the general rescue site.

Ginger's Mom
26th September 2007, 12:49 AM
I think it will be really hard once you see the puppy, not just because of attraction but also because of sympathy knowing that the puppy comes from a puppy mill. But I think I'd bite my tongue hard and walk away. It will be very difficult knowing that I just passed a "victim" but that is the way it needs to be done.