• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Random Urination

Gingers Mommy

Well ginger has been doing this random thing lately, and Im not quite sure why.
Maybe some of you can shed some light for me!
She goes both inside the house on wee wee pads and outside the house during walks.
In the past week, shes done this 2 or 3 times. She'll do her 'zoomies' around the apartment, presumably exhausting her energy, and we watch her in amusement, but now I also watch her to see if shes going to pee. She'll run into her crate, then out of it and jump onto the sofa (where shes allowed to be) then back into the crate, back onto the sofa and so forth, depending on her preference, at the end of this little show, she squats and pees! So shes peed on the sofa, and in her crate. In her crate she peed on a brand new mat, so I know its not that I didnt clean it well enough. I threw the old mat out, and cleaned the crate with natures miracle (maybe not well enough...). Then the sofa has a blanket over it, and thats what she peed on when she did it on the sofa, Ive washed that as well.
All other times she goes on the wee wee pad when at home. So I dont know if shes smelling something which is signaling her its O K to pee there or if it has something to do with the zoomies and crazy behavior and then urinating wherever she happens to be.
What do you guys think?!

Last edited:
Hi Estee

If possible, I'd get rid of the wee pads as I think having her pee on them sometimes, and pee outside other times, is just confusing. Do you really need those wee pads?

Hi Caraline,
They are very helpful. We live in an old building on the top floor. The elevator is extremely unpredictable and can take 3 minutes or 30 minutes! (The bldg is from 1906!) Shes been going inside and out all her life and we've just never changed the routine. Shes able to go in the middle of the night should she need to and has been extrememly reliable throughout. If she has to go in the night, she'll get out of our bed, go to the pads, and then come right back into bed. Shes almost 19 months old now and this new behaviour is new. We also spend time in our country house, where she doesnt have wee pads as its easier for us to get outside, and shes 100% reliable there (doesnt have free roam of the house-but she doesnt have free roam here either) Also each time shes done this we've been watching her! I dont think shes confused.....but I am! I'll take your advise into consideration and see what we can implement. I appreciate your response.

Hi Estee

Maybe she has a Urinary tract infection, this happened to Lady once, she constantly wanted to go outside to pee or she just done where she was in the house.

Sarah

How old is she? Is she fixed? Zoey has started marking. Yes females mark too! She pees outside several times, but never inside as shes never been allowed to go there. Although she will mark in other peoples houses if I don't watch her carefully.

Thats an interesting thought! I didnt realize females marked as well. She is only squating and peeing in 2 spots that are already "her" spots.
Shes 19months old and neutered.
As for the urinary tract, its def not that, as she'll go on the pad and then run around like a nut and go in her crate.....
Im going to see if I can try to eliminate her going indoors.....and see what happens!

Back