• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog clothes??

Harry & Heidi's mom

Hi,

Now before i start i think dogs look so cute in clothes, but i'm wondering do they actually lke to wear them?
I know things like rain coats and winter coats serve a purpose, but what about the rest??

Harry never seems comfortable in anything

Last edited:
I'm game to put my neck on the block! I'll be the super bitch & say I hate clothes on dogs. To me it look humiliating, but maybe I am anthropmorphising. Or is making dogs wear clothes ahthropmorphising? It's ok you can all stone me if you like. :p

I'm fine with clothing that give a dog comfort & protection, e.g. winter wear, rain coats & onsies after surgery etc. But for the rest, I like my guys to go around as naked as they day they were born. :D

thats what i mean, i know winter coats and the like serve a purpose, to protect our pooch's from the cold weather, but is it really fair to dress them up?

Things like halloween and christmas, for a few hours maybe, but like some celeb's out there who constantly dress up their dogs, i'm wondering if this is fair and do the dogs really like it??

I'm afraid I agree with Caranine. I have 'dressed' the boys in bunny ears and ghostie headbands for photos , but only for a very short while; they soon got pulled off , anyway, and have a couple of reindeer costumes for fancy dress, but the latter are for charity purposes and haven't been tried out yet.

However, (I suddenly remembered the other day) : When I was a child I had a peke, called Suki, whom I used to dress in a baby's coat and bonnet a nd tuck up in my very comfortable dolls' pram. It was one of the old type with coachwork and lots of padding. I would wheel my big eyed, hairy faced baby (she looked just that) round for ages and she liked it so much that she would growl when it was time to removes her. i do suspect that it was the comfy pram, rather than the clothes that she liked, though.

I agree with winter coats, rain coats but why cover up something as beautiful as our dogs. They don't need anything, you can't improve on perfection.:D:D

It's okay for dogs to wear dog coats during the winter, but some people dress their dogs up like children. It's pitiful. They're DOGS!!! ;P

I'm game to put my neck on the block! I'll be the super bitch & say I hate clothes on dogs. To me it look humiliating, but maybe I am anthropmorphising. Or is making dogs wear clothes ahthropmorphising? It's ok you can all stone me if you like.

Thank god, I thought I was the only one, I HATE clothes on dogs:mad:, I think it is cruel, if you look at any photo's of dogs "dressed" they look miserable and humiliated, a puppia is as far as I would go and that even took me a while to come around to. Thats just my humble opion, have wanted to write about it for a while but I was afraid I would be lynched!!!!!

Kingston has a closet-full of clothes, mostly little t-shirts and a couple hoodies for winter. I don't consider it cruel whatsoever as long as dogs are comfortable. Kingston is happy to let me put a shirt on him. I'm anthropomorphizing here, but I think he knows how cute he looks in a t-shirt and he loves the extra attention he gets from people.

What bothers me is when people dress their dogs in crazy outfits that are obviously uncomfortable (like blue jeans or hats). It's selfish, unkind, and narcissistic. I also find it very cruel when people make their dogs wear clothes outside while it's hot. That's when you know people care more about themselves than about keeping their dog happy.

I'm not a Clothes On Dogs person, myself. However, I do think some dogs may enjoy it. When my dogs' collars are off for grooming and I move to put them back on they are always very excited. I think they're attached to their collars! So, maybe dogs who are dressed a lot get used to the feeling?

I bought a few shirts and dresses for Ginger for special occasions like her birthday in the past. My husband hates that I treat her like a play doll and I admit inside my heart I am really doing this for my own pleasure and other people's amusement and not for Ginger's.

Things like halloween and christmas, for a few hours maybe, but like some celeb's out there who constantly dress up their dogs, i'm wondering if this is fair and do the dogs really like it??

I agree with Harry & Heidi's mom. I think it's okay to dress them for special occasions, and only up to a few hours, but not everyday. I once saw this riculous looking chihuahua who was "fully" dressed with jeans, a pair of sunglasses, jacket, hat and even shoes. I asked the owner if she dresses her dog like that everyday and she said she does (was extremely proud to say that too). I told her I don't think the dog looks comfortable in those shoes because the Chihuahua was hopping like a bunny in those shoes. The dog looked so annoyed (I bet he couldn't see through those dark sunglasses). Of course she was really offended by it and told me very impolitely to mind my own business.

Last edited:
I agree that putting dogs in jeans and hats and clothing in the warmer seasons is ridiculous.
I do have some sweatshirts for ginger, and a rain coat as well. I have 1 I love NY tshirt too, and she just looks ADORABLE in it!!
Its basically for fun, and we dont ever take her out of the house in the clothing, unless its a rain or winter coat. But even then I often feel silly walking around a dog with a coat on!
Ginger happens to not mind at all when I put clothing on her. She sits nicely and gives me her paws to put into a shirt and it doesnt seem to bother her one bit.
That being said, I think its mostly the dogs that are being carried ALL the time by celebrities that they dress up. Im not sure those dogs ever touch the ground!
I think Halloween and holidays is a fun time to dress up your dog as it wont be for extended periods of time and its in good spirit, unless your dog hates it. And as for the coats, they do have their own beautiful fur coats! My breeder always said they do not need warmer protection in the winter months-they have their own!

My breeder always said they do not need warmer protection in the winter months-they have their own!

i too have heard this, but i think in harsh weather they do need some extra protection.
the analogy i use is, if you sat in the house in your winter coat all day then went outside, you wouldn't feel the benefit of it, therefore i feel they need some "help"

have to agree, I don't think dogs are "dolls" and shouldn't be treated as such. Though I do have some T-Shirts and coats for them, simply because I walk my dogs through my local forest park a lot and it's pretty muddy especially on the football grounds as there is a huge marshy bit, and it keeps their coats a bit cleaner. so for summer days when it's muddy they get their T-Shirts and winter days or rainy they get their rain coats.

And also at Halloween, when the fireworks are going off I'll put a T-shirt on Rozie as she hates the noises, seems to make her feel safer.

I agree with this, it's one thing to pop a coat on on a wet and windy/snowy day but quite another to treat them like fashion accessories.

There are folks out there who have dogs as they can't/won't have children of their own but to treat a dog like a child? There is a limit! OK fine dress them up for a couple of hours at Halloween, Easter, Christmas and on their Birthday, but to put clothes on them all the time like a certain hotel chain heiress does with her dog named after a famous Walt Disney character ;) I think she now actually has 2 dogs? One for under each arm?? Can any of these celebrity dogs actually walk on their own BTW?? :confused: A dog is a dog and not a fashion model/icon/victim!!

I have a little rain coat and I just finished sewing him a little camo fleece coat for camping this weekend. I have a little polo shirt for him but I don't put it on him very often or for very long. I also made him a pumpkin costum that is super lightweight fabric and I tried it on him the other night it was so cute and he didn't seem to notice it.

Have to agree, Coats for cold weather or Rain are sensible and ok, but I'm not a fan of dressing up dogs.........

On a lighter note...could you imagine if we did.....I'd have to share my shirts with Jake :yikes:lol:

ohh I love dressing my dogs up ;) I think it's so much fun!! I put them in a new sweatshirt for last weekend as it's getting dewey in the morning here and it keeps the wet off of their underbelly. My poor Faith is just now learning to accept my torturous clothing schemes, but Kosmo is really easy and he just goes along with it. I live in a part of the world where winter coats for dogs are necessary if you don't want your dog coming in a big wet mess and winter shoes are necessary to keep the salt from the snow out of paws. While I'm certianly not an advocate on things like SWIMMING SUITS on dogs, I think it's fun to have sweaters, coats and shoes all around! :dogwlk:

Back