• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Attention all Vetmedin taking readers

simonrickell

Although we have been treating our Guinness's heart problem with Vetmedin for over a year.....

the last visit to the vet was the first time we were told NOT to give it with food as it makes it ineffective.:eek:

Though I usually give the papers with the tablets a read, must admit to missing this one.:paw:

Fortunately we give them at other time to food anyway.

Simon & Shirley
Guinness - Willow - Bailey

Gee, I never heard that before . My Rudee was on Vetmedin for over six years and her dose was 1/2 tab x2 daily. I had to open the capsule and sprinkle the powder on a piece of turkey (her favourite) for her morning dose and in the evening ,I just wrapped the capsule in another piece of turkey. She never had any problems and her dosage stayed the same for the duration. I guess that would make it pretty expensive now, if you can't split the capsule.

I was told to give an hour before food and queried with the vet whether this was meaning you must feed an hour later or you must avoid food for an hour. She explined that the need was to avoid food, preferably an hour either side, to give the drug chance to work. it was ok to food with a tiny amount of food, ie in a pellet of pate.

You really should have been told this when the drug was dispensed. it is mentioned on the manufacturer's website, but my question to the vet isn't answered there.

Claire, I think your use of turkey would count as a titbit to disguise the taste. It's proper meals that need to be avoided.

OMG I didnt know this either, I had a cavalier on vetmedin years ago now I think it was quite new to the Uk at the time.
I used to give it with food and didnt realise otherwise, I am glad I read this as I will let my sister know who also has her dog on it! thanks and good luck with all your babies xx

Back