• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Halti's yes or no?

clark67

We took Harvey to the vets today for his 4 weekly stronghold treatment and mention to the vet about the way he pulls on the lead and I was worried about this with his collar and his throat as it makes him cough. I've tried hard to stop him but he gets so excited and unfortunately it's hard for me as I have a problem with my wrist and may need surgery on it.

We asked if a harness would be good for him and she said a halti on the nose would be best as with the harness he would still be able to pull quite a bit. She said that someone in the shop (pets at home) would be able to fit it corresctly for us, well when we get home I read the instructions myself and the halti is completely the wrong size so have to go change it tomorrow.

What are your oppions on these items?

Not an expert on this but i would not put a halti on a cav. I had pulling with toby i used a puppi harness on him and it worked. No more pulling (well only sometimes.) I think a halti would affect the breathing as well. Maybe im wrong.

I think a harness would be a good help for you, they give you a little more control, and even when they do pull.....the stress isn't on their throat, the puppias have been a great help in getting Lucy to calm down on the lead,

I'm not sure about a halti, I've never used 1, not even on Jake when he was a pup....and boy could he pull :rolleyes:

So I would definately recommend a harness, hope this helps:)(y)

I agree with Linda, I also use the Gentle Leader easy walk. Ginger was a big puller, even with the Puppia's. We never used a collar with her, and used Puppias from the beginning. She would always pull and it was hard to correct that behaviour with the Puppia. Ive found with the easy walk its almost hard for her to pull, since it fastens to the front of their chests. I would highly recommend it. And I am a big fan of the puppias, cause I think they are so cute and come in so many different colors and patterns, but its almost nice having the easy walk, as you barely see the straps and can see all her fur and markings!

I wouldnt use a halti on a cav either, I always thought that they were designed for larger dogs?
Would give a harness a try though we use puppias and they are fantastic!
A good site is www.petlondon.uk
:)

I would not use a Halti Harness, but I can tell you that I purchased two Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harnesses and they changed my boys, they no longer pull at all.

These harnesses are amazing, here is the link.
http://www.gentleleader.com/pages.cfm?id=74

You will actually enjoy walking them.

When I looked on the box it does actually say Gentle Leader which is good. For some reason I thought the 2 were the same. Still got to go change it as the man gave me an extra small which doesn't even go over his nose.

All dogs in my training class have a halti, even the Cavaliers, all except for Dylan, I don't like them on Cavaliers because of the jowls being squashed. They are all too big or too small for him anyway. But I have to say, my Dylan is the worst in his class at heel work. He's not bad but the other dogs, even the once bad pullers do not pull now. In class they start on the halti then, once heel work is good, they can wear what you like. We actually progress to no lead at all in the final class I think.

Dylan is pretty good after a getting a Mekuti harness. These are designed by a lovely lady who I've spoken to a few times. My trainer says they are the best harness and the only one she would recommend.

Here's the site and a little film to show how to put it on.
http://www.mekuti.co.uk/harness_shop.htm

You can have a slip over the head one but with spaniels, you need the one with an extra clasp on the neck.

On second thoughts, I'm going to borrow a halti for a trial from a friend. Considering how good they worked in class and now Dylan is bigger, it might fit and I may just eat my words!

Last edited:
I have used Halti's to good effect, but only ever on a short term basis, the one I use has a padded nose strap for better comfort, I would not use one on my shorter nosed dogs obviously. I have generally found that once they stop pulling when in a Halti then they stop pulling on a half choker collar too. I find that the size 0 is best for Cavaliers as the nose piece on the size 1 is way too big. Halti's certainly have their place but should be used with care obviously!

Gentle leader head halters are better for larger dogs because their heads are closer to hand/leash level. With a smaller dog, the pull of the leash can make the head go both to the side and upwards (causing a twisting motion). I'd go for the gentle leader easy walk harness for pulling problems.

Cavalier noses are too short for Haltis. i tried one on Monty, who has a long muzzle and it threatened to even rub his eyes. A Gentle Leader was slightly better, but he hated it, so I decided to go the hard way and train him.

I would not use the Gentle Lead or the Halti that go over the nose. Use a harness that has the ring on the chest like the Gentle Lead Easy Walker (which is different than the Gentle Lead Head Collar that goes over the nose). Sense-i-ble Harness has a similiar product. I think this type of harness is more effective and IMHO gives better control than Puppias (although we have Puppias for special occasions!) or other types of harnesses where the ring to connect the lead in on the dog's back as opposed to its chest. Goggle these to find a good place for you to buy them and to get a good idea of what they look like and how they work. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello I wouldn´t use such a thing on a cav.
I learned my cavs. to walk in a proper way, by standing still each time my dog pulled. When the dog looked in my eyes I started walking and if he still wantet to pull I stpped. I took about 14 days to "learn him to walk", and the naighburs sure thought i was weard

I would not use a halti on a cav as their nose is too short but I swear by the halti harness which is the same as the gentle leader harness. There is also a harness called a sensation harness or a sensible harness that works in the same way.

Back