• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hind Legs Don't Bend When Walking???

michelle

Can anyone tell me if the Cavs bend their hind knees when they walk? I really never noticed but someone had made comment that my dogs back legs did not bend when walks. It is more of a shuffle like walk. Is that normal? Should I have him checked out? His legs bend fine otherwise!

Michelle

Their back legs should flex when they walk. Shelby had knee surgery on one knee and her other knee isn't great but surgery on it isn't an option. She walks kind of stiff-legged compared to Jake. I'd have your vet take a leg at his knees.

I've just asked David to call a couple of dogs across the room, so I can observe and notice that they sort of spring along with the back legs appearing to propel them forwards.

Last edited:
I would get this checked out by your vet, there should be a powerful flexing movement that propels them forwards with drive from behind.

Freddy will be two in Dec. He does not cry or complain or limp at all. While we were out one day, someone made mention how when he walks, he shuffles his back legs and they do not bend. Then I watched him while he ran, and indeed he does bend his knees. In the house or on a very slow walk he does not bend them. I think I will take him to the vet and see what he says. I am going on Holiday for 2 weeks but will do that when I return. Thanks all.

Shelby didn't complain about her knees either. She had a funny walk as a puppy but we didn't attribute it to her knees, just to being a puppy. When she ran she moved nicely but you could see when she walked it didn't look quite right. Let us know what you find out. And if you do find out it's luxating patellas it's surely not the worst news you could get. Lots of us have been through the surgery with success.

Thanks!! I will keep you posted.. A wonderful friend is taking freddy for the next two weeks, perhaps I will tell her to have him checked out at the vet while i am gone..

Back