• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

after neutering

Jas

Hi Jasper was neutered yesterday and as expected was very quiet and just lay there all night.

not to be too graphic but yesterday it looked like a deflated balloon and today it was all swollen and looked back the way it was again so I took him back to the vets. They had a feel and took his temperature and said they're not too concerned because there wasn't too much bruising and no temperature and he seemed lively enough.

That was at 10 this morning but now he's still swollen but its all red and warm now. He's feeling very sorry for himself most of the time and just lies in his bed or on my knee. He hasn't even been lifting his tail when he walks I have an appointment to take him back on thursday but should I wait for this or be extra cautious and take him back sooner? I dont know if it's just warm because of how he's been lying or if he's got some kind of infection.

He does have his moments where he perks up a bit though occasionally so cant be too bad.

I'd call the vet and ask; usually they are back to themselves the next day so he doesn't sound very comfortable. It is however normal for them to get a bit red and swollen and look like they didn't have the operation after all. But with his behaviour, I'd be inclined to bring him in and at least get a pain injection or similar and have them take a look.

thanks for that reply.

I have some pain medicine for him but he's only supposed to get it once a day and he had it this morning before I took him to see the vet so it must have worn off.

I'll give them a ring.

I always say, give them a ring so you feel more assured. If they think there's a concern they will likely want him back in. If not, they'll let you know and you'll feel better for having double-checked. (y) If I were in your shoes I'd be calling just to check too. :)

Hope Jaspar will like himself again soon. If not please don't hesitate to take him back to his vet. This is one procedure I am very afraid of even though it speaks volumes about responsibility.

Hope Jasper is feeling much better soon - Wrappng a bag of frozen peas in a towel and putting it on the swelling can help.

Back