• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jumping the Gate

Eavan

Well I just don't understand this. Like most people my partner and i work during the day and little Georgie (6 months) is at home on her own. We have quite a large kitchen and she has the run of the room with her bed, toys, food etc.

We noticed however she was scratching the door as all dogs would during the day. I had a brian wave and we bought a childs stair gate as my mam has one for her dog and it works great.

We have had this now for a few months and it is quite tall but i came home the day before yesterday and she was in the hall. Of course i started asking my self did I close it right but my boyfriend came home yesterday to find her snuggled up in her bed!!:)

what can I do but laugh! Would anybody have any ideas of what else I could use during the day to keep her in the kitchen?

Ooo sounds like you have a jumper! Plus a smartie-pants who knows the bed is much nicer than the kitchen. :lol:

I'd try a higher gate. How high is the one you have?

A member of Hope Rescue and Dogpages, had a little ruby, who despite a bad heart did vertical jumps over her solid more than half height door. Sadly Heidi went to the Bridge on Friday, but her memorial thread contains some of her action photos.

Then gate is now about a metre high. I,m just afraid when she jumps over shewill bang her head and hurt herself. we will try a higher gate and see how we get on

I use the Lindam dog control gate which is basically a baby gate but a lot higher, you can get them at Argos for around £29.99, haven't had a dog yet that can get over it, puppies can get through it, but NEVER over it :lol:

Mollie has a stair gate but she fits through it at the min so when shes bigger she can have that instead of the door closed,but then i gotta worry if she jumps it too lol

xxx

I have a jumper myself. The door opening is relatively small, about 36". I use two baby gates, one on top the other! He hasn't escaped this setup but anything 36" -40" would be within his jumping range.

Hi All

thanks a mill for your ideas IU will have a look at the dog gate and if that fails put up two gates she is mad how she can jump so high:p

To discourage attempts to jump or get through bars, I generally never leave my young puppies or dogs without a huge marrow bone with a healthy treat inside. This not only occupies them for ages, but prevents boredom and also tires them a little. Do you perhaps have a good friend or neighbour who could pop in for short periods to play with the puppy or let her out?

Back