PDA

View Full Version : I am an approved fosterer!

cavi lover
3rd October 2007, 11:02 PM
I have just been approved as a fosterer for Hope Rescue in Wales uk.Already there is a potential little boy for me.

I am I mad or what?

Yes you are right mad! I wonder how long it will be before I join the failed fosterers club?

moonbeams
3rd October 2007, 11:33 PM
congratulations! :rah: I am sure you will be just fine. Rescue animals need a lot of love and patience which I am sure you have plenty of.

No one can know everything about everything so each dog will have individual needs and I am sure you will know instinctively what to do. And of course there are loads of people here who will help you out if you run into something you aren't sure about. :)

Best of luck!

Cathy T
4th October 2007, 01:48 AM
Congrats on joining rescue. I know they can always use all the help they can find. Hmmmm....wondering how long til you join the failed foster club!! :) Having two it's been fairly easy for me not to join.

Debby with a Y
4th October 2007, 02:10 AM
:rah::rah::rah:Congratulations!!! I'm so proud of you!!! :rah::rah::rah:

pinkpuppy
4th October 2007, 04:46 AM
Congratulations!:rah: I'm sure it's rewarding and you can't fail if you been accepted to foster.:flwr:

misty
4th October 2007, 10:41 AM
Congratulations! :).

Fostering is very fulfilling and good foster homes are always in demand. Let us know your progress.

Barbara Nixon
4th October 2007, 10:45 AM
They have some real sweeties in at the moment. I wonder if it will be one of those.

JaneB
4th October 2007, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the wonderful, rewarding and sometimes frustrating world of fostering. From personal experience it is the most fulfilling volunteer work I have ever done. Every dog is so different in their needs and quirks. I've had some so damaged emotionally that I was afraid they would never be able to find a forever home; others have been with me only a few days and behaved as if they had always been cherished pets.

My most recent heartwarming experience was just this past week. I was fostering a very sad, frightened 5 year old mill mama. After nearly 5 months of being showered with love and attention, she would tolerate being touched only if you could catch her. Blossom would come to me for treats and food and if it thundered during a storm she would race to my bed for comfort. Other than that, she was content to just be in the room with my husband and me or cuddle with the other dogs. She was probably the most physically abused and emotionally damaged dog I have ever encountered.Then the miracle occurred. A young woman and her children decided that they could provide a safe and loving home for Blossom. The kids had enrolled in their local ASPCA class on animal care and had begun volunteering at the shelter. As they already had a Cavalier/mix rescue that was 13 years old and was still hand shy, they understood what they were getting into. This darling little girl, all of 10 years old, was so committed to helping Blossom that she sold her pony to have a "donation" to give to our rescue efforts. Blossom is settling into her new family and I know she is in the right place.

This is just a small success story about fostering but it confirms my belief that there can be the right home for every dog.

Good luck, PinkPuppy. You won't be sorry for being "mad" and if you "fail" - welcome to the club.

JaneB

Debby with a Y
4th October 2007, 05:45 PM
Jane, your wonderful story made me totally misty eyed.

moonbeams
4th October 2007, 06:57 PM
I love this story, and I think it outlines perfectly the work and effort that goes into rescuing animals, unfortunately the author is unknown.

The Rescuers Quilt

As I arrived at the Bridge, I faced all the animals that had gone there before me.

Before each of us go to the Bridge, we live our lives like the squares of a quilt, mirrored in the eyes of the animals awaiting us. An animal Angel sits before each of us sewing our quilt squares together in a tapestry that is our life. But as my animal Angel took each piece of cloth off the pile, I noticed how ragged and empty each of my squares was.

They were filled with giant holes. Each square was labeled with a part of my life as a rescuer that had been difficult, the challenges I was faced with in my quest to save lives and the times I had been tempted to take the easy way out and avoid the controversy rather than speak for the animals that could not speak for themselves.

I saw hardships that I had endured for the sake of the animals, which were the largest holes of all. I glanced around me. Nobody else had such squares. Other than a tiny hole here and there, the other tapestries were filled with rich color and the bright hues of worldly fortune. I gazed upon my own life and was disheartened. My animal Angel was sewing the ragged pieces of cloth together, threadbare and empty, like binding air.=

Finally, the time came when each life was to be displayed, held up to the light, the scrutiny of truth. The others rose, each in turn, holding up their tapestries. So filled their lives had been with the riches of the Earth. My animal Angel looked upon me, and nodded for me to rise. My gaze dropped to the ground in shame. I hadn't had all the earthly fortunes. I had love in my life, and laughter and the sweet kisses of the precious animals that Honored my life with their presence. But there had also been the trials of illness, and death, and false accusations that took me from their world, as I knew it. I had to start over many times. I often struggled with the temptation to quit, only to somehow muster the strength to pick up and begin again. I spent many nights crying and praying that somehow the strength would come to go on, asking for help and guidance as I tried to help the Helpless. I had often been held up to ridicule, which I endured painfully, each time enduring it for the sake of the animals who looked at me with trust and love in their eyes.

And now, I had to face the truth. My life was what it was, and I had to accept it for what it was. I rose and slowly lifted the combined Squares of my life to the light. An awe-filled gasp filled the air. I gazed around at the animals gathered there, who stared at me with wide eyes. Then, I looked upon the tapestry before me.

Light flooded the many holes, creating an image of an animal that had depended on me. All the animals at the Bridge stood before me, with warmth and love in their eyes. They said, "Every time you gave over your life to help us, it gave us life. Each point of light in your life is when you stepped aside and let us shine through, until there was more of us than there was of you."

May all our quilts be threadbare and worn, allowing the animals to shine through.]
(Author Unknown)

Cathryn
4th October 2007, 07:05 PM
Congratulations!!

I am sure you too will have many happy stories to tell in the years to come of the dogs you have fostered, and if you become a "failure" once or twice I'm sure we will all forgive you!! :lol: :lotsaluv:

Rj Mac
4th October 2007, 07:17 PM
Congratulations:D

Celticharmony
5th October 2007, 05:53 PM
I love this story, and I think it outlines perfectly the work and effort that goes into rescuing animals, unfortunately the author is unknown.

The Rescuers Quilt

As I arrived at the Bridge, I faced all the animals that had gone there before me.

Before each of us go to the Bridge, we live our lives like the squares of a quilt, mirrored in the eyes of the animals awaiting us. An animal Angel sits before each of us sewing our quilt squares together in a tapestry that is our life. But as my animal Angel took each piece of cloth off the pile, I noticed how ragged and empty each of my squares was.

They were filled with giant holes. Each square was labeled with a part of my life as a rescuer that had been difficult, the challenges I was faced with in my quest to save lives and the times I had been tempted to take the easy way out and avoid the controversy rather than speak for the animals that could not speak for themselves.

I saw hardships that I had endured for the sake of the animals, which were the largest holes of all. I glanced around me. Nobody else had such squares. Other than a tiny hole here and there, the other tapestries were filled with rich color and the bright hues of worldly fortune. I gazed upon my own life and was disheartened. My animal Angel was sewing the ragged pieces of cloth together, threadbare and empty, like binding air.=

Finally, the time came when each life was to be displayed, held up to the light, the scrutiny of truth. The others rose, each in turn, holding up their tapestries. So filled their lives had been with the riches of the Earth. My animal Angel looked upon me, and nodded for me to rise. My gaze dropped to the ground in shame. I hadn't had all the earthly fortunes. I had love in my life, and laughter and the sweet kisses of the precious animals that Honored my life with their presence. But there had also been the trials of illness, and death, and false accusations that took me from their world, as I knew it. I had to start over many times. I often struggled with the temptation to quit, only to somehow muster the strength to pick up and begin again. I spent many nights crying and praying that somehow the strength would come to go on, asking for help and guidance as I tried to help the Helpless. I had often been held up to ridicule, which I endured painfully, each time enduring it for the sake of the animals who looked at me with trust and love in their eyes.

And now, I had to face the truth. My life was what it was, and I had to accept it for what it was. I rose and slowly lifted the combined Squares of my life to the light. An awe-filled gasp filled the air. I gazed around at the animals gathered there, who stared at me with wide eyes. Then, I looked upon the tapestry before me.

Light flooded the many holes, creating an image of an animal that had depended on me. All the animals at the Bridge stood before me, with warmth and love in their eyes. They said, "Every time you gave over your life to help us, it gave us life. Each point of light in your life is when you stepped aside and let us shine through, until there was more of us than there was of you."

May all our quilts be threadbare and worn, allowing the animals to shine through.]
(Author Unknown)
What a moving and hugely inspirational piece of writing. I have such admiration for all those involved in rescue, but know that I would be far too emotional to be able to deal with it. The strength and resilience these good people have is just unbelievable and makes people like me feel very humble indeed.

hollyandmel
9th October 2007, 10:45 PM
Oh my god Julie!!!! :eek::p

Does this mean 4 will become 5!?!?!?.....:shock:

Mel and Holly xxx (Holly says hi!)

cavi lover
1st November 2007, 03:18 PM
Well my first foster boy has been and gone! He was a most gorgeous minature pincsher cross . A tiny bundle of scruminest! He had the most amazing ears.... huge!

Was due to get a daxie cross on saturday but he is on a home check. Hooray for him.

sallymum
1st November 2007, 05:05 PM
Well done. Mind you letting them go doesnt get any easier.